• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Well, I stumbled into this discussion recently and read much of the 50 pages.

A few years back I bought my first "real" binoculars and I think Frank D gave me some advise. As a result, I took advantage of Camera Land's a close-out sale of the Minox BD 10x44 BP and I've been enjoying them very much. They are very sharp, are great in low light and have an awesome build quality. The internal focus is very unique indeed!

This time I’m going to buy 2 binoculars to share on an Alaskan cruise. I’ve come to understand that 10 power binoculars on a ship may be a little too much magnification due to the slight motion of the ship and that 6 or 8 power with a decent field of view may be more appropriate. I went to Zen Ray's site and saw their ZRS 8x32 and I began a search for reviews which ultimately landed me back here. So this topic gets bump up again to the top! Again!

Anyway, this Sightron seems to do everything right. The only thing missing in the optics is ED glass but it appears the Sightron is pretty darned good at bringing the colors together. I suspect the longer barrels have something to do with that similarly to the way longer refractor telescopes manage. It's the short tube refractors that benefit the most from the ED glass, know as semi apochromatic.

I was also looking at the Carson 3D ED but there are not nearly as many reviews of that model and there are certainly no comparison reviews between the Sightron and the Carson.

Frank D, if you're reading this, you mentioned earlier that Sightron had new coatings possibly making the BS ii brighter. Anything to that?

Anyway, thanks for bringing this binocular to everyone's attention. I suspect I'll end up with two pairs of these for the cruise and will continue to enjoy them for years afterwards!

Walter, I own a Carson 3D ED 8x42 and have owned the 8x32 BSII. I would put the Carson very close to the Mojave 8x32 (my favorite 8x32) in terms of clarity and brightness. It is a very good binocular for the price. Sorry, that's about the best explanation I can give as I'm a pretty amateur reviewer. I have owned something like 46 pairs of binos over the last few years and still have the Carson ED. The Sightron did everything right optically but the focus tension was too much for my use. I do a lot of glassing in sub 20 degree temps.

The Carson 8x32 is on my shortlist. With a good eye relief @ 19.5mm, an adequate FOV, and if it has a view equal to the 8x42 version I suspect the 32mm Carson might be a real sweetheart.

Thanks kflan!

I am keeping an open mind since I have some time till purchase. The Mohavi looks really good. Never considered that at the $300.00 price point

You are far more experienced than I am. I own three binoculars and in in the past maybe three others I no longer have. So my discernment is limited to what I've owned and what I've read. That's why I read what others who have the knowledge and experience have to say.

The Carson sparked my interest but there's not a whole lot of info or reviews to be read.

I've read of people's experience on the ergos of the Sightron specifically the focus tension in cold temps. This would not be a factor for my use.

This time I’m going to buy 2 binoculars to share on an Alaskan cruise. I’ve come to understand that 10 power binoculars on a ship may be a little too much magnification due to the slight motion of the ship and that 6 or 8 power with a decent field of view may be more appropriate.

If your trip is with one of the big Alaska cruise ships, you'll be fine for stability and you will not regret the extra reach of a 10x glass. There is lots of wildlife, but it is often a long ways off.

This time I’m going to buy 2 binoculars to share on an Alaskan cruise. I’ve come to understand that 10 power binoculars on a ship may be a little too much magnification due to the slight motion of the ship and that 6 or 8 power with a decent field of view may be more appropriate.....
I have fairly shaky hands - on dry land I don't often enjoy using binos over 8x - but didn't notice that the gentle motion of a large cruise ship added any difficulties.

The thing with viewing from a cruise ship is that everything is so far away. When my wife and I took a cruise a few years ago I bought a pair of Canon 15x50 electronically stabilized binos, in mint used condition on eBay. They served beautifully on the cruise, where the high magnification proved very welcome. A while after we got home, I sold them again for about what I'd paid. Actually I got lucky and sold them for *more* than I'd paid, but auction fees and shipping costs dropped me slightly back into the red again. Just food for thought!

MT

I have fairly shaky hands - on dry land I don't often enjoy using binos over 8x - but didn't notice that the gentle motion of a large cruise ship added any difficulties.

The thing with viewing from a cruise ship is that everything is so far away. When my wife and I took a cruise a few years ago I bought a pair of Canon 15x50 electronically stabilized binos, in mint used condition on eBay. They served beautifully on the cruise, where the high magnification proved very welcome. A while after we got home, I sold them again for about what I'd paid. Actually I got lucky and sold them for *more* than I'd paid, but auction fees and shipping costs dropped me slightly back into the red again. Just food for thought!

MT

I cannot BELIEVE you put that thought in my head!

I cannot BELIEVE you put that thought in my head!

The Canon 10x42ISL is fully waterproof, optically excellent and works a treat on pelagics.
I've been very happy with its offshore (and onshore) performance in Alaska and California.
Just dump it into a bucket of fresh water to rinse it after your cruise.

Nice.

It is funny that he did it know about it. I had an email exchange with someone at Sightron way back when I first started this thread. I don't remember who it was but I am sure I could go back through my email and figure it out though. Would have loved to have heard his reaction when he saw the thread.

Frank:

That should be disappointing for you. Oh well.

I believe you helped sell more of the Blue Sky II 8x32 with your favorable posts than any advertising they could have used.

I am not familiar with Sightron, but they are better known for their
rifle scopes than binoculars.

Jerry

Actually it isn't Jerry. Some times we do things because it is the right thing to do. Not because of any notoriety associated with it. :)

Well, don't feel too bad (as I believe you do not) Frank.

When I was speaking to the person from Sightron, he made a point to say, "Well I will say that the 8x32 is our best seller".. haha well yeah!?!?! and I think I know why! (but I did not say that.)

Often, companies and their founding members have different personalities and strengths and as a result, varied roles in the business. We like to think they huddle together in a conference room and discuss things such as this relevant topic, but that is not the case in reality.

I know that the person I spoke to is now aware of this topic and maybe he even mentioned it to others there at Sightron and he was told, "a,... yeah, where have you been?!?!? haha. But we may never know.

This model is still on my short list considering two of them will come in under $400.00 ( a lot of $ for me) which is pretty awesome! I know technology in the past 5 years has provided similar values in this configuration but these are still hard to beat!

Last edited:
Went out over Lairg and the surrounding locale today, and managed to snag a loan of a pair of Sightron 8x32 to test out.

# I purchased a pair as soon as I had internet access.

Yep, as soon as I had signal I ordered a pair. They are, without a shadow of doubt, an absolute price/performance/weight marvel. I'll happily carry a set of these as my primary hill binos when I'm shaving weight down. The contrast and colour richness is absurdly gorgeous: It is as if I step closer and watch in high definition, all thoughts of the bino are erased. (Saving for Swaro 8x32 but Wowser these Sightrons don't make the wait so bad now!)

Crossbills, Grouse, Crested Tit, Golden Eagle, all sharp, crisp, vibrant.

These are an absolute keeper of a pair of bins. I just hope my pair have the same buttery smooth single finger focus this loaner pair have. It's sublime.

Last edited:
After four and a half years of continuous thread I'm surprised allbinos have yet to snatch up a pair for testing.

Frank, spend some of your Sightron commission and send 'em a pair.

I still have mine and the SIII 8X24.

After four and a half years of continuous thread I'm surprised allbinos have yet to snatch up a pair for testing.

Frank, spend some of your Sightron commission and send 'em a pair.

I still have mine and the SIII 8X24.

The pair I was loaned are incredible. Popping colours, staggeringly bright with hard edged crisp contrast. Moorland to the Loch side, delivered. The focused was silk, with gloves on or off it was I'd say as close to perfection as I've ever tried on a binocular.

Centre sharpness with tack sharp, this set really blew me away.

I was stunned and have purchased my own pair. I'm praying hard they are like the loaner set. I'd be very happy to use these as my primary birding bin for days where weight is a factor.

Ratal, reading that makes me regret I didn't buy the pair that was on ebay for £95 last week. Trouble is one is at the mercy of sample variation when buying sight(tron) unseen. I've seen time and again big differences in sharpness etc. in cheaper bins. Hope yours turn out to be good'ns.

Trouble is one is at the mercy of sample variation when buying sight(tron) unseen.
Well, if it's of any comfort, I bought mine new, quite recently (mid-2015), from Japan from an eBay seller and they are just as good as I expected. They're well into a long production run, now, so I suspect sample variation has stabilised at a fairly low rate. Of course, I can't know that - but mine are really good.

As I've noted elsewhere, I think people probably vary more than binoculars so I hope your Blue Skys suit you as well as mine suit me.

...Mike

Last edited:
Ratal, reading that makes me regret I didn't buy the pair that was on ebay for £95 last week. Trouble is one is at the mercy of sample variation when buying sight(tron) unseen. I've seen time and again big differences in sharpness etc. in cheaper bins. Hope yours turn out to be good'ns.

I couldn't believe the quality to be honest. That moment you watch an Eagle gliding along and your thoughts forget the binocular and just drink in the image. This is what these did for me.

Then it's weight. Or lack of. Makes you even forget it is around your neck until you need them. That for me is the mark of an all day adventure binocular.

A truly lightweight, crisp, astounding view, easy handling bargain.

Ratal, you must have had a bright day. It was not overcast--- otherwise you would have felt wanting more. Yes the pair I have is good too. Still, a 8x42 is a good choice in different light situations.
Rob.

The pair I was loaned are incredible. Popping colours, staggeringly bright with hard edged crisp contrast. Moorland to the Loch side, delivered. The focused was silk, with gloves on or off it was I'd say as close to perfection as I've ever tried on a binocular.

Centre sharpness with tack sharp, this set really blew me away.

I was stunned and have purchased my own pair. I'm praying hard they are like the loaner set. I'd be very happy to use these as my primary birding bin for days where weight is a factor.

Primary bin for when weight is a factor.

The day over Lairg was blowy, some sun, some squalls, but, when the ease of use, clarity and brightness of image was taken into account with the weight, it's made a perfect binocular for me.

Weight. Primary bin for when weight is a factor. Those 8x42/43.... I'd not choose those for the very clear concise reason I stated. Crystal clear, like the Sightron. Weight.

I have the Kenko ultraview EX 8x32 DH II ,allegedly the same exact binocular ,with a different armour and sold directly by Kenko,i guess the manufacturer in this case..my first unit had ended fogging completely ,but i must say Kenko agreed to replace the bins,working with the spanish distributor,even having bought the bins in USA.The second unit is as good as the first in regard to optics.very well collimated and very consistent in all four barrels ( counting both units)..infinity focus and close focus are also in the same point..

I have the Kenko ultraview EX 8x32 DH II ,allegedly the same exact binocular ,with a different armour and sold directly by Kenko,i guess the manufacturer in this case..my first unit had ended fogging completely ,but i must say Kenko agreed to replace the bins,working with the spanish distributor,even having bought the bins in USA.The second unit is as good as the first in regard to optics.very well collimated and very consistent in all four barrels ( counting both units)..infinity focus and close focus are also in the same point..

Spent the day chasing Crossbills in Glenmore forest, and these binoculars deliver. The focus is amazing, quick, easy and very precise.

One thing I have to praise highly is the diopter setting. It's precise, and once set is perfect. Just use the binocular and never needs touching again.

I've wanted a low cost lightweight binocular for a while now, and after the Red Throated Diver on Loch Morlich and Crossbills in the pines, I can happily say that if my unit are this good, they are keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back