• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kassiopi July and August 2017 (1 Viewer)

Dezdez9

Hi all,

Just returned from the family holiday in kassiopi and kalami and thought I'd post in case anyone else was off out there in late July or early August. Was a family beach holiday but saw enough from driving around and the like to be worth a post........

From the balcony we were fortunate enough to see a number of Alpine Swift and saw more in Kassiopi - especially in the evening by the roundabout beside the harbour. Saw numerous raptors but I was pleased to see Honey Buzzard on a couple of occasions (if I'd have known I would have brushed up on my 'Honey Buzzrd ID skills' before going as I spent a lot of time peering through the binoculars debating whether it 'was' or 'wasn't' though it definitely 'was' on two occasions). I was also lucky enough to see a male Levant Sparrowhawk which at first I took as a 'normal' Sparrowhawk before it starting acting differently and I saw it's blue coloured back and black wing tips.

Loads of Scops owls (familiarise yourself with the call before going and you'll hear them every night), hooded crows and red rumped swallows as you'd expect.

Saw dolphins on two occasions, one was just backs appearing out of the water but the second time had numerous breaches and leaps full out of the water - you'll know them when you see them so don't get hooked on sitting looking from the balcony at every single ripple in the water thinking it might be one as we did until we saw them! Was also lucky enough to see a Moray Eel as my daughter and I snorkelled around the coast.

All in all I'd suggest that one should i) brush up on honey Buzzrd ID ii) know what a scops owl sounds like iii) take a mask and snorkel

Like I say - a boring post but if you are there with the family take your binoculars and hopefully this might have given you some idea of what to expect to see........

Hi all,

Just returned from the family holiday in kassiopi and kalami and thought I'd post in case anyone else was off out there in late July or early August. Was a family beach holiday but saw enough from driving around and the like to be worth a post........

Nice to hear what's going on, on the Islands.
Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back