• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Swift Spotter? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

I recently came across a Swift Spotting Scope that I've not seen before...
It's marked Swift Lynx Safari no.840 20x60mm....Fully Coated...

I've lately taken a whim to try out an older Swift spotter...Went ahead and purchased this one. Not sure what to expect..Looks mint and for $54 maybe worth trying out?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding this model?

When was it made?

Picture below is the only reference I could find online.

Attachments

• swift.jpg
    swift.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 125
I searched on here and found nothing other than on Ebay there had been one for sale. So, there you go one more reply. Let us know if you ever get one what they are like.

Originally I thought this might be made about 1965.
I may even have had one?

I can't quite read the serial number.
But maybe it was made made in 1968.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gents, at least I got a few! I have one coming in the mail. I was guessing late 60s...
Just a classic spotter to try out.

Lately I've been a magnet for old glass...Picked up a Komz ZRT 457 today at Camp Perry Commercial Row....

I have a ZRT 457.

The problem with Soviet/Russian spotters is very long close focus and narrow fields.
The Soviet era ones were high resolution, at least the export models to the U.K.

B.

Binastro I think you're right on the ZRTs resolution. I have had a couple through my hands and I had one (early 90s Black) that was absolutely razor sharp in the center...But everything else was a letdown.

I also had a grey Soviet made one in a box (70s) that was ok but not as sharp..I think they tend to vary allot?

Seems to me that the Russians could build superb modern spotters "if" they really tried...

I received my Swift. I find the design a little unusual, the objective telescopes in and out with the turn of the focus knob. Machine work and finish is VERY nice. Looks like its sat in a box for years and needs a serious cleaning internally.

Eyepiece is a bayonet style, probably something impossible to find if one was ever needed.

Ok, I now have the scope fully cleaned up and tested. Well about what I expected from a 50 year old glass.

The scope needed a serious cleaning and repair. Apparently there is a piece of foam that rides on the telescoping objective carrier and it is greased. The foam had disintegrated into thousands of small black greasy particles and deposited everywhere. I cleaned it up and replaced the foam. (without grease).

Work took about 2 hours, was evening and I was finished with work for the day anyway.

Optically it's pretty good. Comparing it to a Balscope or Kowa TS-2, it's a slightly more "tinted" view. Resolution is very sharp in the center. Shows absolutely no fringing. Color reminds me of some of the Russian glass.

The eyepiece is ok but not a real winner. Eye relief is about average and a bit of soft around the edges. B&L eyepieces are better. About the same as the Kowa. External edges on the swift eyepiece are a bit sharper, and not so comfortable. After using it some I find the focus wheel in an odd position, but it's something a person would get used to.

Interesting vintage scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back