• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I look inside my nestbox once the birds start moving in? (1 Viewer)

scrumpet

Hello!
I just got my first ever nesting box, yesterday, for chickadees. I put it up in a good spot right away, and this morning I noticed that already a couple was moving in, bringing twigs, etc... However, it's been a few hours now and I haven't seen any activity at all. I'm dying to go out there and look in the box, but I'm not sure that's ok to do. Will taking a peek scare them away for good? What about once there's a nest with eggs? Thanks for your help!!

The best way to insure that they won't continue nesting is to go near the box. The best thing to do is to give them their space. ;)

It isn't the best idea. They will sometimes build more than one nest and decide later which one to keep, so you could scare them away if they feel predators (you) are near the nest. Also, it is a good way of getting pecked in the eye. You never know if they are in there and if you peek in, they will fly out in your face.....yes, this has happened (luckily without injury) to me and I study birds for my job.

You should never disturb the nest unless you absolutely must.....so checking it for curiosity is not a good idea.

They will come back when they are ready to lay eggs and you will be able to watch them bringing in food and the babies fledging.....lots of fun ahead if you leave the nest alone! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back