• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Close but no cigar (again)
Neighbor and fellow birder just watched a flock of ring necked parakeets fly over his house and mine.
Got the call and ran out but too late.
I had been sat in the garden all afternoon and gone in 3mins before the call.
Garden lifer as well 😢😢

Some migration at last, yesterday and again this morning, with tantalisingly nearby Whinchat and Lesser Whitethroat (both missing from this year's Garden List, in fact Whinchat would be a 'garden lifer'), Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Red-backed Shrike, Tree Pipits and Willow Warblers.
However it was one of the local resident birds (admittedly tricky to see from the house) that provides the only addition for now:

78 Goldcrest

Some migration at last, yesterday and again this morning, with tantalisingly nearby Whinchat and Lesser Whitethroat (both missing from this year's Garden List, in fact Whinchat would be a 'garden lifer'), Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Red-backed Shrike, Tree Pipits and Willow Warblers.
However it was one of the local resident birds (admittedly tricky to see from the house) that provides the only addition for now:

78 Goldcrest

Yes, quite a bit of migration here, too.

Osprey and Tree Pipit not far away. Here's hoping.

Well !! This morning, for 3 minutes, a

73: SPOTTED FLYCATCHER

was in my garden! A garden tick and a year tick, of this increasingly rare bird.

I apologise for the out of focus Blue Tit....but not no.78, only my garden 5th ever, and just 5' from the bedroom window at 7.12 am! :eek!:

Attachments

• P2020690.jpeg   Bedroom Window Redstrt.2..jpeg
    P2020690.jpeg Bedroom Window Redstrt.2..jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 39
Good morning so far, a rather fine imm Red-footed Falcon, on wires, then mobbed by Magpies, followed shortly after by a male Goshawk.

122. Red-footed Falcon
123. Goshawk

Red-footed Falcon is a rare bird in Lithuania, but I get it almost annually on my land, always late August or early September.

And, not new for the year (one a couple of weeks ago), but a new one for my feeders - Dunnock hopping around under a hanging peanut feeder - summer visitor only, these tend to be unusual and secretive on my land. Sparrowhawk and Hobby also knocking about.

Last edited:
Red-footed Falcon is a rare bird in Lithuania, but I get it almost annually on my land, always late August or early September.

Lots in Estonia this week and 30+ reported here in FI yesterday and today so assume your bird is part of this general irruption?

Cheers, McM

Incredibly this morning all before 8.30am...another Double Whammy!
Blackcap and Chiff Chaff were followed by Willow Warbler then Spot.Fly (in neighbour's garden, first one for years) swiftly followed by Pied Fly...then a brief ''sun bathing'' Tawny Owl. Clearly excepting the Tawny, a good movement for me this am (non avian, as is most mornings ;))
Nos.79 and 80 respectively.

Attachments

• P2030119.jpeg   TJ's Spot Fly 1..jpeg
    P2030119.jpeg TJ's Spot Fly 1..jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P2030183.jpeg    Garden Pied 1..jpeg
    P2030183.jpeg Garden Pied 1..jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 28
After a decent night of migration, I went outside two mornings ago to see what was flying on NE wind.

I was not disappointed! Warblers were flying hundreds of feet up, along with a few swifts, swallows, and Bobolinks. The best part was not what was flying, though, but what stopped in my yard.

81. American Redstart (2 together, yard lifer)
82. Chestnut-sided Warbler (yard lifer)
83. Black-throated Green Warbler (splendid views, 2nd yard record)

All in all, a good haul!

After a decent night of migration, I went outside two mornings ago to see what was flying on NE wind.

I was not disappointed! Warblers were flying hundreds of feet up, along with a few swifts, swallows, and Bobolinks. The best part was not what was flying, though, but what stopped in my yard.

81. American Redstart (2 together, yard lifer)
82. Chestnut-sided Warbler (yard lifer)
83. Black-throated Green Warbler (splendid views, 2nd yard record)

All in all, a good haul!

I’ll say it is! Two garden/yard lifers and a second on the same day is tremendous:t:

I’ll say it is! Two garden/yard lifers and a second on the same day is tremendous:t:

How long have you resided at your abode birdmeister?, as longevity of tenancy should stack the odds against such an event!
That withstanding...an extremely good achievement. :t:

How long have you resided at your abode birdmeister?, as longevity of tenancy should stack the odds against such an event!
That withstanding...an extremely good achievement. :t:

Ken,

We moved in 17 years ago, but that doesn't mean much because my birding skills didn't really pick up until 8 years ago or so. My flight ID skills and knowledge of species timing etc. didn't develop until about 4 years ago.

In addition, many trees in our yard weren't planted until later on and they are just growing up now. Our tallest trees are a row of 9 Blue Spruces that are about 25 feet tall (~7.5 m). When we moved in, these were about 7 ft tall or so! Naturally, many of our migrant songbirds haven't been detected until just the past few years. Redstart is by far the most common warbler in the area, so to only get one now is quite surprising!

I just moved out of an apartment and back into a house in a small town in north Texas. It's a rental and we probably are only here until the end of next year, but it's been nice finally getting some feeders set up. Two new yard birds today, just a month into our residence...
23. Black-chinned hummingbird- at the feeder, 2nd hummingbird species after having ruby-throated last week
24. Little blue heron- 3 bird flyover at dusk

I'm hoping to hit 50 species during our stay here, but definitely a more productive first month than I expected.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Incredibly this morning all before 8.30am...another Double Whammy!
Blackcap and Chiff Chaff were followed by Willow Warbler then Spot.Fly (in neighbour's garden, first one for years) swiftly followed by Pied Fly...then a brief ''sun bathing'' Tawny Owl. Clearly excepting the Tawny, a good movement for me this am (non avian, as is most mornings ;))
Nos.79 and 80 respectively.

There does seem to have been an extraordinary numbers of Pied Flycatchers passing through the London area. Most years 3 or 4 at most, but this season as many as Spotted Flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back