• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on local patch (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Hi.

was unable to go for the Lowestoft Ross's Gull today (just as well!), so walked around my local patch, which consists of woods and farmlands just east of Colchester, Essex.

Lots of common birds (including 2 or 3 Lesser Redpoll) and heard a Lesser Spot give the "pee pee pee" call, but couldn't for love nor money see it. Had a drumming male Lesser Spot in a nearby, but separate, piece of woodland last spring, so this seems to be a half decent area for them.

Anyone else had any Lesser Spots of late?

Anyone else had any Lesser Spots of late?

not yet but is usually about this time of year that I start hearing/seeing them (maybe a little early) but only for a month or so before they do their disappearing act again.

Its all right for some!

South-west of London which is where I live is supposed to be one of the best areas for Lesser Spots, but I havn't seen one yet and I have looked several times on promising sites!

Oh well, maybe one day.

I got a brief look at one last weekend in the woods at Trent Park near Cockfosters tube. Not bad considering the place was heaving with joggers and mountain bikers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back