• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope handle (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I thought that was a good idea - so made one for mine out of some extremely strong army webbing. It used to be a handle for an army bag. I've folded it 3 times, so its even thicker. Then punched holes through each end, found some bolts and used flat washers to help prevent any tearing. It does a great job and makes lifting the the scope onto a tripod a lot easier and can be done one handed.

Also, this adds virtually zero weight. Well, maybe a few grams, considering there are 2 x 10mm hex head bolts used, but its unoticeable

Attachments

• SW handle.jpg
    SW handle.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 124
Army webbing seems like a good choice John, as its real tough, and there's no weight to it. I was being cautious by folding the webbing 3 times, just to be sure

Yeah, the webbing is strong stuff. I've got some gymnasts rings hanging in my garage for working out on and they are suspended on 2" wide webbing. The webbing I'm using for that has a breaking strain of something like 800lbs. I've got some left over that I've been meaning to use as a handle on the scope. Mine will be attached straight to the tube though as I don't use the big mounting rings.

Paul.

I think it was you that started the idea of a handle, and it makes life a lot easier all round.

I was scratching my head for days wondering how to form some alloy to make this after you posted about it, but suddenly had a ( rare ) brainwave when i saw the webbing hanging about in a box of oddments

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back