• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Pentax PF-80 ED scope with 20-60x zoom angled eyepiece (1 Viewer)

bert11886

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a camera to use with the subject scope? I have heard that the Nikon coolpix are really good for digiscoping, but I have no experience with these are any others. I have been birding for a while and digiscoping would add a new dimension to my hobby. Thanks for any tips you could provide me.

Bert11886

The CP4500 will certainly work well with this scope, its what I started with and the early half of my gallery were all taken with it before I upgraded the EP to a Pentax XW and changed the camera to Oly C7070 for its bigger LCD screen and therefore easier focusing. I think most advice now would suggest there are better cameras out there and the 4500 is slow, which is undoubtedly true, but then again you can probably pick up a used 4500 quite cheaply and it would certainly get you going.

bert11886 said:
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a camera to use with the subject scope? I have heard that the Nikon coolpix are really good for digiscoping, but I have no experience with these are any others. I have been birding for a while and digiscoping would add a new dimension to my hobby. Thanks for any tips you could provide me.

Bert11886

Hello Bert,
Best advice I can give is many cameras are suitable for your scope so spend an hour going through this forum and you will be a lot wiser as to what will suit you at the end of it. We can all give advise on what we use but you need to find a camera that you feel comfortable with.
The earlier Coolpix cameras were, and still are, brilliant for quality but slow in focusing, shooting etc. if you don't mind this you'll have a great camera. Many of the newer models, of many manufacturers, are not so 'digiscoping friendly' but take pictures a lot quicker, it's a sort of what do you want type thing.
Look through the forum and when you see something that takes your fancy ask about it, you will get loads of good advice from many people and, hopefully, end up with a camera that you're happy with and will give you a lot of pleasure (and a lot of frustration) ;) .

Regards

John

Hi Bert,

I use a DSLR with a Pentax PF80ED and I am fairly satisfied. My DSLR is the Pentax K100D that I use with a A50mm(F:1.7) and a A28mm(F:2.8) and they work fine. My scope has the XW20X eyepiece and I use a step down ring between the lens and the eyepiece ( 49mm to 43mm). I like the idea of using a DSLR instead of a Point & Shoot because of the flexibility that camera offers for other photography such as Macro. One more thing because of miror movement and weight of the DSLR camera you will need to create a harness that changes the point of balance of the scope and at the same time ties the camera well to the scope, thus reducing any shake...

Robert

I enjoy the Fuji F30 with my Pentax FL 80ED to a fixed XL 21mm E.P. As mentioned my others on this thread this forum has a wealth of information. Search threads related to your equipment needs and you will find it.

Attachments

• DSCF0117.JPG
    DSCF0117.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 174
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back