• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Support advice needed (1 Viewer)

stuartlawrie

Looking for some advice from those in the know!
Having recently gone back to digiscoping with a New Swaro 95 with dslr adapter, the problem I am having is finding the best tripod head to use. The 2 heads I currently have namely a manfrotto 222 pistol grip and manfrotto 701 video head really do not work for me.
Balance is the big problem and with the Swaro balance rail keep getting put back I am currently using a macro rail to try and find the balance, but it really is rather flimsy and difficult to use especially if breezy even with a heavy Manfrotto 055 proX legs.
So any suggestions for a better head would be much appreciated! :)

Use a gimbal. They are the best solution for digiscoping and long super tele lenses in general. Set up properly you will be able to freely move the scope thru its entire tilt range with 1 finger, without tightening tilt tension and having it move or incurring backlash.

simple tilt head

You know guys an inexpensive solution to supporting your astroscope is something like the Manfrotto tilt head (model 234 RC). I had been using a heavy duty ball head for most of my recent work with my astroscope setup, and have been toying with the idea of purchasing a gimbal head. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap! However, I had this Manfrotto tilt head as part of my monopod which was just sitting in the closet accumulating dust so I thought I would try it out for my astroscope setup. It will support 6-7 lbs according to the manufacturer specs. although I think it will support much more weight. It has a locking quick release plate mechanism. Initially, the tilt action was rough on this unit owing to the fact the motion was based on a metal-on-graphite spacer on one side and metal-on-metal on the other side. So I filed the inside edges of the head to allow enough room to insert two teflon rings as spacers (replacing the graphite spacer altogether) and now the tilt motion is buttery smooth. The tilt head has a locking knob that does a nice job of locking the astroscope at whatever angle. I tend to leave a bit of freedom in that motion when snapping pictures and support the scope's position by hand. Of course, the head lacks panning capabilities. For that feature I just rely on the panning capabilities of my tripod. That too I leave loose allowing full motion.

Attachments

• t90x90_3cacbf5ba63e745d2bac0dd21e64f2e8.jpg
    t90x90_3cacbf5ba63e745d2bac0dd21e64f2e8.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 204
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back