• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Table camera clamp - what for? (1 Viewer)

bugbear

I recently got a table clamping camera fixing (ok, it was a car boot, and it was cheap).

It's OBVIOUS what it does; it clamps to a table or shelf edge, and provides a ball head mount for a small camera.

But under what circumstances it is useful? I'm struggling to find a purpose for it.

BugBear

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 32
The shelves in hides?
TBH, that was the idea in my head when I bought it.

But "proper" hide supports (i.e. advertised as such) seem to have much more height (6-12 inches).

Most hid shelves (now that I've looked) appear to be at least 2-3 inches below the window outline, so my clamp is no use!

BugBear

These kind of clamps aren't very stable for cameras or scopes. I think they are better for lighting supports in studio situations.

--AP

I can imagine a product photographer wanting something to mount their camera close to their base, but a Manfrotto magic arm is much better for that purpose.

I recently got a table clamping camera fixing (ok, it was a car boot, and it was cheap).

It's OBVIOUS what it does; it clamps to a table or shelf edge, and provides a ball head mount for a small camera.

But under what circumstances it is useful? I'm struggling to find a purpose for it.

I bought one like that on impulse several decades ago in the vague expectation that it might come in handy sometime, and my guess is that’s why most people buy them. Like you, I’ve yet to find a use for it.

Let me illustrate with my tabletop photography setup. The Manfrotto Magic Arm is very stable as long as you use the self-timer on the camera, but as you can see, the Manfrotto Super Clamp is also significantly beefier than yours.

The V groove on the clamp suggests its primary purpose is actually to mount flashes or the like on tubes or light stands, Kaiser's main product line.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back