• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AGW and rising sea levels (2 Viewers)

Interesting article here on pending decreasing sea levels. No, that isn't a misprint. I'm sure the long knives will be out shortly for this IPCC expert. How dare he dissent!....

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (UN IPCC) is misleading humanity about climate change and sea levels, a leading expert on sea levels who served on the UN IPCC told The New American. In fact, it is more likely that sea levels will decline, not rise, explained Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner, the retired head of the paleogeophysics and geodynamics at Stockholm University. ....

I'm also certain of the pending hit job on any site which posits this contrarian viewpoint. Focus will not be on Dr. N A M's theory, but rather his character and the site which published this. Let the trashing begin.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech...cc-scientist-blows-whistle-on-un-climate-lies

Interesting article here on pending decreasing sea levels. No, that isn't a misprint. I'm sure the long knives will be out shortly for this IPCC expert. How dare he dissent!....

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (UN IPCC) is misleading humanity about climate change and sea levels, a leading expert on sea levels who served on the UN IPCC told The New American. In fact, it is more likely that sea levels will decline, not rise, explained Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner, the retired head of the paleogeophysics and geodynamics at Stockholm University. ....

I'm also certain of the pending hit job on any site which posits this contrarian viewpoint. Focus will not be on Dr. N A M's theory, but rather his character and the site which published this. Let the trashing begin.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech...cc-scientist-blows-whistle-on-un-climate-lies

Perhaps as someone who keeps up with the technical literature, you can elucidate the evidential basis of Morner’s theory for us amateurs? Oh, you can’t? Hmmm. . ..

But enough of this clowning around. The New American is a right-wing rag staffed by conspiracy theorists and affiliated with the John Birch Society among other disreputable organizations. And Mörner is just another octogenarian crackpot unable to keep up with modern modes of scientific thinking. But, deep in your heart, you surely already know this?

Last edited:

Laid out here why he is wrong:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/Nils-Axel-Morner-wrong-about-sea-level-rise.html
Any comment on the science Litebeam? After all, that's what you accuse us of ignoring.

J

Perhaps as someone who keeps up with the technical literature, you can elucidate the evidential basis of Morner’s theory for us amateurs? Oh, you can’t? Hmmm. . ..

But enough of this clowning around. The New American is a right-wing rag staffed by conspiracy theorists and affiliated with the John Birch Society among other disreputable organizations. And Mörner is just another octogenarian crackpot unable to keep up with modern modes of scientific thinking....

Well that was predicatable. You attack me, then Nils, then the publication.
'Alinsky rules' applied liberally, pun intended. Ageist discrimination to boot, shameful posting. You should be booted from this forum for your repeated bigotry.

And I've elucidated to the degree you (and Nohatch) have.

Nohatch, I read that link before I posted my own. I've seen the manipulated 'hockey stick' graphs and junk science before--that isn't to say I won't entertain this graph and the science presented, but I'll do so with skepticism.
Like John Coleman (father of the Weather Channel) Nils was highly respected before he presented dissent to current AGW thinking. The CC crowd is ruthlessly protective and this forum is no exception.

Nohatch, I read that link before I posted my own. I've seen the manipulated 'hockey stick' graphs and junk science before--that isn't to say I won't entertain this graph and the science presented, but I'll do so with skepticism.

See this is what really irks me. You dismiss an entire field of research, the work of thousands of dedicated people*, millions of measurements, records that span most of Earth's history, some of the most advanced data science...all of which agree with the simple basic premise...based on what exactly?
Skepticism I'm all for - take Chosun's point that the role of landscape feedback mechanisms needs to be quantified better in climate models. I agree (as does the IPCC), although not to the extent of putting it forward as the main driver of change. However, this simplistic and highly vocal denial in the face of overwhelming evidence I just don't understand. You brand all the data faulty or fabricated, again, based on what evidence?
And on top of that, what gives you the right to brand every single one of us 'lying, manipulating, incompetent jokers'? Some arrogance! I'm sorry but that really p*sses me off - you think ad hominem attacks are unfair? Then stop using them and start talking evidence, measurements, observations, facts. Otherwise what's the point?

J

*all of whom could make a much better buck working for the oil industry, as a fair few of my friends do.

Last edited:
Like John Coleman (father of the Weather Channel) Nils was highly respected before he presented dissent to current AGW thinking.

N-A M would still be respected if he didn't stoop to cherry picking and manipulating data - the following blog post is just one of many examples, he's been caught red-handed dozens of times.
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/observe-closely/

If you're so hellbent on 'true' science then where is your skepticism of his 'results'?

J

See this is what really irks me. You dismiss an entire field of research, the work of thousands of dedicated people*, millions of measurements, records that span most of Earth's history, some of the most advanced data science...all of which agree with the simple basic premise...based on what exactly?
Skepticism I'm all for - take Chosun's point that the role of landscape feedback mechanisms needs to be quantified better in climate models. I agree (as does the IPCC), although not to the extent of putting it forward as the main driver of change. However, this simplistic and highly vocal denial in the face of overwhelming evidence I just don't understand. You brand all the data faulty or fabricated, again, based on what evidence?
And on top of that, what gives you the right to brand every single one of us 'lying, manipulating, incompetent jokers'? Some arrogance! I'm sorry but that really p*sses me off - you think ad hominem attacks are unfair? Then stop using them and start talking evidence, measurements, observations, facts. Otherwise what's the point?

The “point” for litebeam is a purely political one with no rational basis—he’s simply parroting the rightwing line as per Trump and the Republican establishment generally. He’s lives in northern Idaho, after all—real Trump country—where his views on AGW are commonplace.

Last edited:
See this is what really irks me. You dismiss an entire field of research, the work of thousands of dedicated people*, millions of measurements, records that span most of Earth's history, some of the most advanced data science...all of which agree with the simple basic premise...based on what exactly?.....

I'm not dismissing anything. I stated that I'd consider that information, albeit with skepticism. I'm not a scientist, it takes time to read and understand this information--from either perspective.
And I don't wholesale accept anything--including Dr. Nils, but I appreciate his dissent if for nothing else but a fresh perspective. I don't trust the media, the pseudo intellectuals, the D.C. body politic...I think there is corruption everywhere.

And in fairness and based on your comments about Chosun's link, I suspect you come at things much the same from the other side of the issue.

My biggest complaint is the marginalization and lack of respect.

I'm not dismissing anything. I stated that I'd consider that information, albeit with skepticism. I'm not a scientist, it takes time to read and understand this information--from either perspective.
And I don't wholesale accept anything--including Dr. Nils, but I appreciate his dissent if for nothing else but a fresh perspective. I don't trust the media, the pseudo intellectuals, the D.C. body politic...I think there is corruption everywhere.

And in fairness and based on your comments about Chosun's link, I suspect you come at things much the same from the other side of the issue.

My biggest complaint is the marginalization and lack of respect.

Well put, litebeam! I'm not sure that it will get much 'respect' on this thread, but I've attached a recent report by Judith Curry, who in my opinion is a world-class expert on sea-level rise. This comprehensive article runs 72 pages plus seven more of references. The ocean-land interface is a very complicated system for sure.

Will anyone read it through dispassionately, or will the ad hominem insults begin?

Ed

Attachments

• Special Report- Sea Level Rise (2).docx.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 95
Curry papers - online and downloadable.

Attachments

• Curry Papers - Online and downloadable.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back