• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An end to Japanese whaling? (1 Viewer)

Japanese Whaling I don't think was ever really economically fiscal, so I am glad to see the Japanese government cutting funding to a wasteful program that hurts whales and only exists out of tradition

Last edited:
Everybody seems to hate Japanese whaling but what of whaling within the EU? Are people interested in something closer to home?

The only two countries in the world that hunt whales "commercially" are Iceland and Norway. Japan claims that their whale killing is "scientific", not commercial. But any way you look at it, these are the big three in whaling. In 2009, Iceland set a whaling quota of 150 fin whales and 100 minke whales (up from 9 fins and 40 minke in 2008) and their fleet brought in 125 fin whales and 79 minke whales. Their quota for 2010 is 200 fins and 200 minke. Norway had a quota of 885 minke whales in 2009 (down from 1052 in 2008), but suspended the season at 350 due to lack of demand for whale meat. Norway and Iceland are not EU members. There is a whale hunt in the Faroe Islands that is not governed by the IWC because they kill a smaller whale species that is not regulated by the IWC. The Faroe Islands are a self-governing overseas administrative division of Denmark and Denmark is an EU member so this is as close to commercial whaling as you get in the EU. I know that people opposed to whaling "hate" these hunts just as much as they hate the Japanese hunt - it's just that it is easier to pressure Japan with bad publicity since they try to claim a scientific motive. Japan's 2008-2009 quotas were 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales. It is hard to pressure (with publicity) countries that say the law doesn't apply to them. There is a strong history of protest against whaling in Europe and protest groups have taken direct action including sinking and attempting to sink both Icelandic and Norwegian whaling ships as recently as April of 2009.

Jackie

Last edited:
Yes but what of the the commercial whaling (and sealing) in the EU. It is commercial because you can by it in stores, it is a EU member, but it is hidden from the view of most. YOu are almost there with the Faroes, but not quite.

Somebody other than me must know how you can bring sea mammal ivory (and whale meat) into the EU. I raise the point as lots of people like to blast Japanese whaling and Canadian sealing but forget about what is happening very close to home.

Well this seems to be a great secret if the response is any indication. Greenland not only allows but encourages hunting of whales, seals and polar bears. There parts may be freely moved to Denmark and as such become mobile in the EU.

For people concerned about the Japanese, is the Greenlandic hunt not worthy of consideration? Is it acceptable that narwhal and walrus tusks are entering Europe?

Well this seems to be a great secret if the response is any indication. Greenland not only allows but encourages hunting of whales, seals and polar bears. There parts may be freely moved to Denmark and as such become mobile in the EU.

For people concerned about the Japanese, is the Greenlandic hunt not worthy of consideration? Is it acceptable that narwhal and walrus tusks are entering Europe?

Greenland is not part of the EU. Exports of Narwhal and Polar Bear products from Greenland are now illegal I believe. Walrus products require a CITES certificate.

Last edited:
You have missed the catch. Greenland is part of Denmark and it is not illegal to move parts between Greenland and Denmark. Narwhal Tusks, Polar Bear claws, teeth and pelts and Walrus can all be bought easily and transported to Denmark. While Cites Permits may be required it depends on the appendix location of the animal.

No matter what the status of Greenland vis-a-vis Denmark those that complain about Japanese whaling need to also consider the killing of marine mammals in a region adminstered by an EU member.

Well the self-rule thing does not apply to matter of military and foreign relations. I believe they like to call it home rule but with my three visits to Greenland this past summer there still appears to be a huge Danish influence.

I wouldn't bet on it...last I saw humpback whales were going to be taken off the endangered list, thus....problems ahead as certain nations will begin eying them again, for god knows what, but they will.

Is there anyone on this bird forum (from Japan and Iceland) who can answer why their governments are so much for Whaling? And, why the people of those nations do not simply demand their government put a stop to it. I know that Japan loves to mask their whaling and label it as "research"..but it is amazing how many whales end up getting caught for research. And for what research I ask?

I think the Japanese government simply see whaling as a chance for sabre rattling in the guise of cultural imperative and do it just because they can.

Its hugely unprofitable propped up by subsidy with an end product that's stored frozen and isn’t wanted even in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back