• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird - Karelia, Russia (1 Viewer)

Splendid

My mother-in-law recorded this bird in Karelia in northwest Russia with her mobile phone. When she asked me what bird it was I couldn't answer. It reminds me of a thrush but I'm not sure. Do you know?
She heard it singing in woodland, in the evening and in the morning on June 15, repeating the same phrase over and over again.

Attachments

• Karelian Bird_3.mp3
    315 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Hello!

It could be a Redwing, tone of the song sounds OK and I think I heard the typical Redwing ending phrase in the recording. I observed a somewhat similar sounding Redwing in Eastern Lapland this summer, but their songs vary quite a lot geographically..

Of course, someone wiser might come with a wiser answer, but this is what I think.

Thanks for your reply and an interesting theory! I haven't heard a Redwing sing like that before (not even close) and I haven't been able to find any recordings of a similar song on the Internet. You may very well be right, johnny_j, but I miss the usual twittering ending (which is "compulsory" to the Redwing song?).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back