• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is Meopta doing? (1 Viewer)

Thank you David and Gijs.

Gijs, We await more. In addition to whatever information Meopta finally gives you, you might perhaps tell them that prospective Meopta buyers and other Meopta fans would like to see them providing in their website about the same information that other binocular manufrs. do in theirs. Presently it looks almost like a deliberate decision not to state anything about the prism coating/s on their superb instruments. If presently it is a strategy not to do so I think they should reconsider whether it is better strategy to do so. I gather that their binoculars are up there with Kowa, Leica, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss (in alphabetal order). These others all do so.

Gijs, We await more. In addition to whatever information Meopta finally gives you, you might perhaps tell them that prospective Meopta buyers and other Meopta fans would like to see them providing in their website about the same information that other binocular manufrs. do in theirs. Presently it looks almost like a deliberate decision not to state anything about the prism coating/s on their superb instruments. If presently it is a strategy not to do so I think they should reconsider whether it is better strategy to do so. I gather that their binoculars are up there with Kowa, Leica, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss (in alphabetal order). These others all do so.

Meopta has primarily aimed their products at the military and big game hunting markets. Hunters don't give a rip about that stuff. It should be available though if need be.

Adhoc
The Meopta website is under re-construction so its present form shouldn't be taken as final by any means.

Lee

I wait for Meopta to respond, immediately when I have that I will post it.
Meopta made both for Leica and for Zeiss the telescopes and/or the telescope optics for the now older model telescopes, not for the most recent ones as far as I know. That does not mean that these companies do not recieve some optical components for present instruments and I have reasons to believe that this is the case for Zeiss. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion, if the components comply with the specifications wanted.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs, thanks for inquiring. I've always found the Meostars a very interesting alternative, and would like to see them improved further... or to know if they already have been?

Tenex,

Have you tried a Meopta Meostar B1 yet? I would suggest trying one or more before you suggest improvements to them, even though they are an older design. They still offer a lot of amazing view for the price, and often you can improve that by waiting for closeouts. I have done so twice now, and I can honestly say that I think Meopta still has a greatly competing design to offer. They might not be top of the heap, but really, they are very, very good optics from what my eyes tell me, and I am lucky to have been able to take advantage of the deals on them recently. Personally, I don't think they need an upgrade, but then again, I'm not an alpha user either. Still, they are just fine optics to me, but again, it's just one opinion of many here.

Dear all,
To stop all speculations: the Meopta Meostar binocular roof prisms are supplied with di-electric mirror coatings as mentioned in my notes and now confirmed again by Meopta.
Gijs van Ginkel

The Meostar line has always seemed interesting, but I really don't understand what Meopta is doing. The 32mm models have FOV that competes with the alphas, but the larger ones don't? $300 China-made binos have dielectric mirror coatings and ED glass, but Meostars don't? (Actually a few models are "HD", but the others aren't, which seems strange.) And this is a company that I read makes scopes for Leica. Are there legal or contractual issues involved here?

(Apologies if this is old hat, please just point me to the appropriate thread I didn't see.)

I have heard the Meostar is a wonderful optic but as you point out the FOV thing was just too small for me to even seriously consider it. I tried a Meopro and have not been impressed with it overall. It's got a decent FOV however.

Gijs has pointed out that the MeoStars do have dielectric coatings and as for the ED glass: take a look through them and then make up your mind.

Lee

Meopta

Dear all,
To stop all speculations: the Meopta Meostar binocular roof prisms are supplied with di-electric mirror coatings as mentioned in my notes and now confirmed again by Meopta.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Gijs,

Is it possible to know when they went with di-electric mirror coatings on the Meostar models. I have a 8X42 from 2012 and one from 2015, there is some very suttle differences, the 15 seems to display slightly more brightness.

Andy W.

Andy, post 33,
Perhaps by comparing the differences in color reproduction, the one with di-electric coatings is more color neutral and looks brighter, the one with siver coatings may have a slight red preference giving it a so-called warmer and slightly less bright image impression.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dear all,
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks Gijs.

Meopta, respectfully, you can prevent confusion by simply stating that in your website, like most or all other manufrs.!

When I try to get to the main Meopta website just now Google or Kaspersky warn it may be unsafe. (That is www.meopta.com, not www.meoptasportsoptics.com, which is as normal.)

Last edited:
The complaints on Bird Forum about the Meopta Optik website have been noted by Meopta and the site, which is new, is being rebuilt by a guy with many other responsibilities. Work on the site is proceeding as quickly as possible which is not as quick as he would wish.

Lee

I was puzzling over why Gijs and myself got seemingly conflicting information from Meopta about the Meostar prisms. I have checked with them again. It seems, at least in part, to be to do with how we phrased the questions.

If you ask if the Meostar has silver coated prisms, the answer is yes. If you ask if they have dielectric coated prisms, the answer is also yes. I'm told the Bauernfeind prism is silver coated and the Schmidt prism is dielectric. Apologies for the confusion.

David

Last edited:
Looks like lack of tact by me has contributed to a bit of a situation.
Meopta, sorry, your website is okay. I really do like it, its "clinical" look.

If you ask if the Meostar has silver coated prisms, the answer is yes. If you ask if they have dielectric coated prisms, the answer is also yes. I'm told the Bauernfeind prism is silver coated and the Schmidt prism is dielectric. Apologies for the confusion.
Something's still wrong here. There's only one mirror surface in the pair of prisms, and if it's silver it's not dielectric. The word "dielectric" is apparently also used for other coatings, like phase correction, which the other (roof) prism would indeed have. So if we're talking about the mirror, this answer is still "silver not dielectric". And I'm beginning to suspect that the answer Gijs got is the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back