• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird App for South America - iPhone (2 Viewers)

annlondon

I’m looking for a birding app that covers Brazil, Argentina and Chile. The only one I have found is this one:
Birds of South America by I.M.D. Publicacion C.A.

Anybody know how good it is (£18 is quite expensive if it’s not up to par) or any other suggestions?

There is a free app for Argentina that covers about 50-60% the birds called Aves Argentinas. It is Spanish only but does have the bird names (including searching) in English. It is not complete but is high quality and includes calls for the species it contains, so it's worth getting.

I'm not aware of any high quality apps for the countries you mention, unfortunately. The only really high quality SA app that I know is the app version of the Schulenberger/Lane field guides (iPhone only AFAIK).

If you do try that Birds of SA app, let us know how it is. I started a thread on best apps by region but it hasn't gotten a lot of traction yet. It's here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366059

Cheers

I’m looking for a birding app that covers Brazil, Argentina and Chile. The only one I have found is this one:
Birds of South America by I.M.D. Publicacion C.A.

Anybody know how good it is (£18 is quite expensive if it’s not up to par) or any other suggestions?

I don't know the app that you mention above. But there are two apps that I would recommend, one for Brazil and one for Argentina.

"Birds of Brazil A Field Guide by Ber van Perlo" this is an IPhone app based on the book of the same title. It contains illustrations and photos, text descriptions, voice recordings and range maps.

"Birds of Argentina and Uruguay" based on the book by Naroski and Yzurieta. It contains photos and illustrations, text description, information on habitat and frequency of occurrence, range maps and voice recordings.

Both of these are based on reputable works by well known authors. I have both and they were very useful in the field.

I am not familiar with the apps by I. M. D. Publicacion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back