• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Thompson's (White-headed) Bulbul ... and "his" Parrotbill ssp. (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Minor additional info (nothing major) on another Mr. Thompson, commemorated in ...

thompsoni as in:
● White-headed Bulbul Cerasophila thompsoni BINGHAM 1900 (here):
I have named the species after Mr. H. N. Thompson, of the Indian Forest Department, a keen observer and field-naturalist, who was with me on Loi-San-Pa, and was the first to discriminate as new and procure specimens of this beautiful Bulbul.
● the Parrotbill subspecies Neosuthora davidiana thompsoni BINGAM 1903 (here) as "Suthora thompsoni" ... no dedication, nor explanation (simply trusting the HBW Alive Key).

= Henry Nilus "Timber" Thompson (died in 1938) a k a the "Father of Nigerian forestry".

Born in Burma, son of R. H. Thompson, of the Indian Forest Service, in Burma, later himself (from 1889) forestry officer in Burma (for the Indian Forest Service) ... even later (from 1902) "Chief Conservator for the Lagos Colony and Southern Protectorate of Nigeria", in 1903 he became "First Chief Executive of the Forestry Service", from 1906 "Director of Forests and Agriculture in the Amalgated Southern Nigeria" ... and onwards ... from 1914 Director of Forests, for the whole of Nigeria, until he retired in 1929... and died 9th of July 1938.

See links; here (p.1), here, here and Death notice here (p.303)

I guess he didn´t die in Burma, as have been claimed elsewhere (in some Botany books) ;)

Enjoy!

Björn

After yet another attempt, trying (in vain) to search for the Birth year of Mr H. N. Thompson (and/or/i.e. Henry Nilus Thompson), I noted that he seems more well-known (at least in Nigeria) as simply; "... 'Timber' Thompson", see, for example, here (ending part):
Finally, honorable mention should be made of some of those who left the Indian Service to organize forest departments in other parts of the British Commonwealth. Such were Hutchins and Storr Listen in South Africa, "Timber" Thompson in Nigeria, Burn-Murdoch and Cubitt in Malaya.
Also mentioned, as ditto; here, here and here, ... and elsewhere.

If of interest?

/B

Born: 26 Jul 1867 Naini Tal Bengal. Baptism: 15 Oct 1867
Father: Richard Horatio Thompson
Mother: Ely Rose Ann

Here. Archive reference N-1-124

If this is not working try here. Enter First name as Henry Nilus last name as Thompson and Where as World. Click Search.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back