• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN 883 Too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

4dBirdz

I’m in the market for a new scope. I’ve seen a brand new Kowa TSN 883 on Amazon for £700. Is this a scam or should I rush in?
Thank you

Definitely very suspect. Avoid it and as you said " too good to be true".
Furthermore, is there an eyepiece offered?

The payment goes through Amazon. There is no eyepiece. Thank you for your responses

The fact the payment goes through Amazon does not mean the outcome is fulfilled by Amazon (it should say on the page whether the order is fulfilled by Amazon or not). Like Amazon or not, if it states it will fulfil the order, it will (eventually), if not, it might help you with the seller -- if it is a throwaway scam there is little Amazon can do (though shame on it for letting the scammer on its site).

Got this email back in response to enquiry.
From [email protected]
Hello,
First of all let me apologize for the late answer.
Let me explain you how you can buy my Kowa TSN 883 Angled Scope With Prominar Fluorite Glass
The item is brand new, never used, but i can't list it as a new product due to Amazon policy, they don't allow me to list it as a new product. The item will comes with original box and accessories and 2 year international warranty.
If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices . The offer lasts 7 days.
The total price is £700.00, including all shipping costs to Europe. If you want to buy it, please send me your shipping address(phone number, your complete name, street name and number, zip code and city) I will immediately send the required data to Amazon Department. They will contact you with the order and details about payment and shipping. You will have to complete the payment with them. Dispatch will be by normal UPS Services, which takes 3-5 days, depending on where in the United Kingdom you are located.
My return policy is full refund in 21 days.
For more information, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Many Thanks
It's not on Amazon any more.

Got this email back in response to enquiry.
From [email protected]
Hello,
First of all let me apologize for the late answer.
Let me explain you how you can buy my Kowa TSN 883 Angled Scope With Prominar Fluorite Glass
The item is brand new, never used, but i can't list it as a new product due to Amazon policy, they don't allow me to list it as a new product. The item will comes with original box and accessories and 2 year international warranty.
If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices . The offer lasts 7 days.
The total price is £700.00, including all shipping costs to Europe. If you want to buy it, please send me your shipping address(phone number, your complete name, street name and number, zip code and city) I will immediately send the required data to Amazon Department. They will contact you with the order and details about payment and shipping. You will have to complete the payment with them. Dispatch will be by normal UPS Services, which takes 3-5 days, depending on where in the United Kingdom you are located.
My return policy is full refund in 21 days.
For more information, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Many Thanks
It's not on Amazon any more.

Thats the hook to draw you in, as is 7 days offer, no way that Kowa would be supplying someone with their products at that price. Its a con, end of. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Even some rudimentary maths and a limited understanding of retail economics demonstrates this is a con. A new 883 with eyepiece is about £2300. You may get it for a bit less from a legit retailler. That suggests this dealer has promotional prices which would allow a mark-up in excess of 200%. I would bet my own money that a legit optics retailler would be pleased with a 25% mark-up (and I would imagine most don't get that). I simply cannot see Kowa or any optics manufacturer having promotional offers at about 30% of typical retail prices. If this was a legit offer, wouldn't legit retaillers have something similar? I would stay well clear.

If you want a Kowa 883 and don't want to pay full retail for a new one, AceOptics in Bath have a used one for £1,799. A proper legit established retailler (I have no connection with Ace) and you get all the protection of what used to be called the Distance Selling Regulations and, if you use your credit card, credit card purchase protection).

There usually quite a few ads like this on amazon. I've seen them for Nikon and Swarovski scopes, usually asking you to contact them direct. They are ALL scams relying on greed to overcome common sense.

Nick

If Amazon was an honest business, it would honour any loss due to scams using their name.

It is hoqwash to get out of this by saying they are resellers or any other excuse.

There are numerous fakes and such like on their site.

Amazon relies on cheapness in nearly everything they do.
And that is what the customer gets.

Ask them to forward £50 to an account of your choosing to "verify" their legitimacy and then never get back to them. It is a scam.

If Amazon was an honest business, it would honour any loss due to scams using their name.

It is hoqwash to get out of this by saying they are resellers or any other excuse.

There are numerous fakes and such like on their site.

Amazon relies on cheapness in nearly everything they do.
And that is what the customer gets.

Not to hijack the thread to Amazon, but I will.... I've become rather disillusioned with Amazon over the last couple years. They are good if you buy directly from them or a major seller, but there's so many scams and people doing the old ebay trick of selling something marked up and then just drop shipping it from another on-line retailer you didn't happen to look at. And all those "contact me" scams. Nowadays, I only buy directly from Amazon, from a manufacturer (e.g. Kowa sells direct in usa), or someone who fulfills from Amazon so I atleast know there's a product involved and the vendor footed some expense upfront.

I bought a tripod (which I am happy with) thinking I was buying from Amazon only to find that it a chinese import after I had paid.

I'm afraid that I don't know enough to spot the difference before, where to look or which questions to ask to avoid this happening. At the end of the day everything is fine but what would have been my recourse if not?

There usually quite a few ads like this on amazon. I've seen them for Nikon and Swarovski scopes, usually asking you to contact them direct. They are ALL scams relying on greed to overcome common sense.

Nick

I've also seen them for Meopta. I'd avoid like the plague.

Thank you everyone. I followed my instinct and yours and have ignored the seller. I will save a little longer and look for a legitimate seller.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back