• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Raptors (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy, I was looking at this book today, with a view to purchase and was wondering the same thing. I see that you haven't yet had a reply to your original posting. Did you buy it yourself in the end ?

Regards, Carol

Thank you, Andy, that's really helpful and thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Having visited Botswana in October, where we were largely self guiding re birds, often at speed, with an often fleeting glimpse, in a largely mammal focussed, as opposed to birder focused, group I felt I wanted to know more about the raptors, especially and although we didn't see as many raptors on the trip as I had hoped, do wish to return to Africa, in the near future.

My last visits to Africa were some time ago (The Gambia 2010 and South Africa 2007), so my memory was rusty. The 2 field guides we took on the trip and did our pre- trip preparation from were Sasol and Newman.

I hope to visit Tanzania and Kenya in the near future, so hope that this book will help me to feel more enabled in trying to identify the raptors.

Is it something which you would recommend using in the field, or is it more a book to study from, at home ?

Regards, Carol

Thank you, Andy, that's really helpful and thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Having visited Botswana in October, where we were largely self guiding re birds, often at speed, with an often fleeting glimpse, in a largely mammal focussed, as opposed to birder focused, group I felt I wanted to know more about the raptors, especially and although we didn't see as many raptors on the trip as I had hoped, do wish to return to Africa, in the near future.

My last visits to Africa were some time ago (The Gambia 2010 and South Africa 2007), so my memory was rusty. The 2 field guides we took on the trip and did our pre- trip preparation from were Sasol and Newman.

I hope to visit Tanzania and Kenya in the near future, so hope that this book will help me to feel more enabled in trying to identify the raptors.

Is it something which you would recommend using in the field, or is it more a book to study from, at home ?

Regards, Carol

If you have the luggage space then take it but it's not really a field guide and being a hardcover, it would get tatty quite quickly I think.

Do you take photos?

This book would be great for retrospective ID of any aerial raptors you get.

That's great, thank you Andy.

The book is now in my Wordery online basket.

They recently gave me a discount code if I purchased three or more books from them, after I purchased a couple from them, recently, so I am now on the hunt for 2 more books ! :t:

Best wishes, Carol

I use Wordery too but check out Speedyhen, they consistently have the lowest, pre-publication prices, I buy most of the new 'New Naturalist' titles from them.

https://www.speedyhen.com/Books

New Naturalists, once you start, are addictive! Once you buy one, you want another and there are well over a hundred titles now, some, VERY, expensive due to scarcity, collectability. The search for one to fill a gap, in the right condition, at the right price and making sure it's a proper first edition, has become a hobby in itself and it's very satisfying to get one you've been after for a while. They're all available if you want spend the dosh, the fun is in tracking a bargain and there's even a book, a buyers guide, dedicated to collecting them.

Last edited:
Thank you, Andy. I have never come across Speedyhen and appreciate you drawing them to my attention.

The New Naturalist series do look VERY addictive....... oh dear ..... ;);)

I use Wordery too but check out Speedyhen, they consistently have the lowest, pre-publication prices, I buy most of the new 'New Naturalist' titles from them.

They're all available if you want spend the dosh, the fun is in tracking a bargain and there's even a book, a buyers guide, dedicated to collecting them.

I like how the title 'Collecting New Naturalists' is only £144 ... and out of stock.

;)

I like how the title 'Collecting New Naturalists' is only £144 ... and out of stock.

;)

Plenty available, indispensible for a serious collector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...r=1-1&keywords=collecting+the+new+naturalists

The so called 'Golden thirteen', numbers 70-82, can got for up to a thousand pounds depending on title and condition, I think I have about six of them.

'British Warblers' number 71, is the big boy, only about 750, genuine first editions in circulation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back