• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

just some pics from the last few days.
Looks like we have a new weather vane wind blowing north according to the tree (pic 2)

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    688.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    608.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2571.JPG
    IMG_2571.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
some more.
just a quick note happy with my biggest Upton annual count of 112 with many Upton lifers comes to something when you are happy to see a House Sparrow. Here's to next year, Happy new year to all.
ps No2 photo is top missed your quality the passed few months

Attachments

• IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    642.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Happy New Year to all B :)
Rich

A beautiful morning to end the year.

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4411-2.jpg
    IMG_4411-2.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4444.jpg
    IMG_4444.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 122
As well as welcoming Gazza back 'home' did a bit of birding on the Moors. The seasonal pool was not only full of water but also full of dabbling ducks. The egrets were all loafing around the Lagoon. Generally a lot of activity all over the pool and it's periphery. But I didn't see any snipe.
Species count: Moors
GCG. little grebe. Great white egret. little egret 3. Shoveler 35. teal 80. Wigeon male. Shelduck. mallard 120+. Pochard 20 (12 males). tufted 25 ish. coot 280+. Curlew 12. Common gull. Cetti's Warbler singing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone. And hopefully a few more of will get involved in the Patchwatch challenge. 👍

New Year at Sailing Pool

:t:Tomorrow I will open up the car park 9isham. I will close it at 4pm. If things change I will post info on here during the day.B :)

Last edited:
Wishing all birders a Happy New year

Hope to get down over the weekend to start my year list....this time from January instead of March!!

John...when is the next Sunday work party?

Wishing all birders a Happy New year

Hope to get down over the weekend to start my year list....this time from January instead of March!!

John...when is the next Sunday work party?

Next Flashes work party is Sunday 10th January. Tasks include the removal of the willows on the southern side of the Hen Brook adjoining the first Flash and making a start on cutting back the blackthorn scrub at the back of the second Flash

A Happy New Year one and all.

2016 kicked off with a Tawny Owl along the River Salwarpe courtesy of the Biking Birder.

Is 65 species achievable for the first day of the year?

Just for the record December closed on 85 species (better than January or February's totals); missing species included Rook, Yellowhammer, Nuthatch, GBB Yell, Yellow-legged Gull, Bittern, Red Kite and Goldeneye.

Overall 2016 concluded with 146 species - notable absentees comprised Little Owl, Woodcock, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Mandarin, Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Turnstone, Spotted Redshank and Mealy Redpoll

GWE flew south calling at 08:47 as per Dave J - wonder if it will be picked up by Wayne at Westwood or Dave at Coney. Also Little Egret at the Moors Pool.

Dave J further reports from the Moors Pool:

Redshank, 25 Pochard, 12 Curlew, 95 LBB Gull, 11 Herring Gull, Siskin, Redpoll, Mistle Thrush, 2 Gadwall, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, 4 Cetti's Warbler, 5 Water Rail, 3 Snipe.

Last edited:
GWE bogey broken!B :)

Siskin and Redpoll among the Alders, Grey Wag, Water Rail and best of all, 2 Whoopers high over Moors Pool in direction of flashes!:t:

Hopefully they land in the area, but it always pays to keep your eyes on the sky;)

Nice to catch up with the vicars best mate today. Have a good year Paul.

GWE bogey broken!B :)

Siskin and Redpoll among the Alders, Grey Wag, Water Rail and best of all, 2 Whoopers high over Moors Pool in direction of flashes!:t:

Hopefully they land in the area, but it always pays to keep your eyes on the sky;)

Nice to catch up with the vicars best mate today. Have a good year Paul.

What time were the Whoopers Dave?

Moors. From early on to 3.3pm the car park was rammed. There must have been in excess of 150 on site today. Many of the people I had never met before and it goes to show just how many members of the Trust visit Upton. I don't think they would have been disappointed with the amount of birds on show. Obviously the GWE was the big attraction but there was plenty of waterfowl and passerines as back up. A very productive 1st day of the year and this bodes well for the other 365 days(leap year).
69 Species were logged between us, plus whooper swans:t:
Moors species count: GCG. little grebe 3. GWE. Little egret 2. Shoveler 39. teal 73. mallard 80. gadwall pr. Pochard ( 20 males + 9 fems). tufted 28. Goosander fem flew along the east side of pool then off east. Coot c20. water rail several calling on NM and east side of moors and feeding station. Cormorant 32. Snipe 2. Curlew. herring gull 5. LBBG 10. BHG 60. kingfisher. Fieldfare 10. redwing 6. song thrush 2 singing. mistle thrush singing. Cetti's 3 singing. Chiffchaff (The Peplow's) along west track. siskin 15. redpoll 3.

Sailing pool : GCG 8 (9). little grebe 2. Tufted 21 (49). king fisher 3 chasing each other.

Flashes: For the time of year a surprising amount of activity. The redshank continues to think it's on an estuary ( certainly with plenty of rain and the sluice fully opened it certainly looks like one - although probably the smallest in the UK :t:). The lapwing mostly use the site for day time roosting but the soggy meadow saw them feeding all over it. The food supply has obviously diminished owing to the fact that no Shoveler or teal are feeding in the 2nd Flash. A quick walk around the southern flash flushed a mere handful of both snipe species. Interestingly the BHG are still roosting and green sands came in at dark to roost on the main 2nd Flash islands.
Species count : Teal 45. mallard 80. coot 4. moorhen 25ish. Curlew 12. lapwing 505. Redshank. Green sand 4. Snipe 6. Jack snipe 4. BHG 352. kestrel. Buzzard 3. sparrowhawk. raven 2. green woodpecker. great spotted w. fieldfare 40. Cetti's. goldcrest. grey wag 2.
I saw 62 species today several easy species missing. So a good start to the Patchwatch challenge. 👍

Last edited:
Peter E you will be pleased to know that a treecreeper was showing intetest in one of Skeleton man's boxes that you and Bob installed. See you Tuesday👍

John - today's worryingly low snipe count from the Flashes is very similar to that after the Decemeber work party; something is seriously amiss (with the habitat??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back