• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (2 Viewers)

Kinnordy is open all day this saturday. The shooting is now taking place the following week, saturday 29th September.

I will do a guided walk this saturday starting at 11 0'clock from the car park as usual.

Darell:t:

Bit noisy there for a while this afternoon as some brush clearance was going on.

However, there were just loads of Common Gulls at the swamp end getting on for 500 I'd think more coming in too, plus a Lesser Black-back.

Highlight for me though was to see a Sparrowhawk fly across in front of the Gullery Hide.

A Kingfisher was seen at lunch time.

D

hi Darrell

Great report by the way. :t:

Love the picture of your Snipe, and that is a one good picture too. ;)

It sounded although the weather was a damp squid so it does affect the day a bit.

As you say normal day resumes next week with the sun ;)

Regards
Kathy

Saturday 22nd September

I was on duty today instead of sunday, due to our local rspb group outing tomorrow. I will post a report for that outing on the Dundee group thread.

I arrived at 7.30 this morning and the weather wasn't too bad. A bit overcast, but you could see that the sun was going to try and do its best to come out for a while.

As i got out of the car, i could hear siskins in the trees but couldn't locate them. I decided to go off in the direction of the swamp hide, due to the fact that there seemed to be alot of activity there as i drove past. Robin, great tit and blackbird were quickly on the list at the boardwalk to the gullery hide. As i got to the swamp hide, i could see lots of rooks and jackdaws in the pine trees along with some crows.

At the swamp hide there were 58 gadwall, 12 wigeon, 27 teal, 38 mallard, 2 shoveler, coot, moorhen, 3 lapwing, a single heron and a snipe. I could hear water rail at both sides of the hide, but they weren't keen on showing themselves. In the fields opposite, there were alot of pheasants and woodpigeons along with a brand new fence which stretches the whole length of the field, about 30-40 feet from the edge. This is extra land that has been added to the lease.

No hay bale competition this week, due to the fact that the round ones have gone!!

Off to the gullery hide and on the way there, i heard a great spotted woodpecker calling as it passed over head. I couldn't see it because of the trees, but he was to be seen a few times later in the day. At the hide, the first thing i noticed was the large number of mute swans. 14 adults and 5 cygnets. I hadn't seen the family with two for weeks and presumed they had perished. It was good to see them alive and looking well. There were a further 8 gadwall infront of the hide which took the total to 66 ,which must be a record for the reserve. I think the 54 we had last week was a record, so to break it again is fantastic. They must be spreading the word round the gadwall population that kinnordy is a great place to spend the winter. Also out in front of the hide were more moorhens and a few teal. In the reeds at the side of the hide, bluetits and wrens were flying around, chasing each other. I could see a large group of wigeon over at the far end of the eastern side of the loch and decided to have a closer look at them from the east hide.

Off i went and as i passed the entrance to the car park i could hear siskins again. I didn't have to wait long before a flock of 40+ flew over head and into the tall trees. Over towards the road, i could hear long tailed tits and soon they came into view as they flew between the bushes and trees along with blue and great tits. I arrived at the feeding station just as a treecreeper flew up from one of the bushes and high into the trees. There were also a lot of chaffinches around the base of the trees. They were trying to find scraps of peanuts that the great and coal tits were dropping from the feeder. It was good to see the birds at the feeder again. Off i went to the east hide.

I now had a better view of the wigeon and counted 26 and in amongst them were another 20 teal. A heron sat on the edge of the bushes, staring into the water, trying to find its next meal. More moorhens and coots along with some mallards and another shoveler were also present. I could hear something on the roof of the hide, and as i glanced to the right, i could see a red squirrel running along the top of the fence and then up into the trees.

I went off again in the direction of the gullery hide and stopped for a few minutes at the feeding station. After a while, a flock of long tailed tits came along, joined by some bluetits and a couple of goldcrest. A songthrush was sitting in one of the berry bushes, obvously having a rest from feasting on the vast quantity of berries available. As i neared the entrance to the car park, there were a couple of birds chasing each other over to the right of the path. Eventually they sat still, and i could see that it was a pair of blackcap. They continued to chase each other for a while before flying off. The bushes were full of blackbirds having a feast and there were also a pair of dunnock and robins.

I went and got something from the car and as i turned round, a grey wagtail flew westwards over the trees and up above, a number of swallows were helping themselves to the vast number of flies and other flying insects. All these birds and it wasn't even 9 o'clock!!

Back in the gullery hide, a group of 28 pink footed geese flew southwards. Later in the afternoon, another group of 38 flew over and that was all the geese i saw...apart from one lone "billy no pals" looking quite lost!! There were alot of buzzards around all day. The most i saw together were 4 over above the hills.

Another volunteer arrived so we decided to go off round the reserve to see what was there. No one had turned up for a walk so we thought we'd have one ourselves.
On the way past the plug area, we saw the woodpecker again and a little further, we found two groups of bullfinches, 8 in total. Dunnocks, chaffinches, blue and great tits were also seen. Towards the lilly pond, we saw more swallows, a few house martins, linnets and alot of goldfinches. Over towards the old house, we saw a sparrowhawk fly onto one of the trees next to the house and a little while later we noticed a jay flying from the house area. A couple of snipe flew up from the edge of the lilly pond, circled around for a while and disappeared just as fast. I wish Delia had been there to see them!!!
The woodpecker was again evident as it flew into the tall pine trees next to the pond. Coal tits and goldcrests were also seen flying around in the same trees next. On our way back, we spotted a couple of mistle thrushes overhead, soon to be followed into the note books by a reed bunting.

I went along to the west end of the reserve and found a corn bunting skulking in some bushes and then three skylarks flew over my head from the fields next to the road.

In the afternoon, a large number of common gulls were present along at the east end. At one stage there were over three hundered. They seemed to depart not long before i headed off. Little grebe, kestrel, ferral pigeon, stock dove and pied wagtail were the other birds on todays list.

It was a really good day. Lots of birds around,and really good warm sunshine in the later part of the morning and into the afternoon.
The highlight for me had to be seeing the cygnets i thought had perished.

Attachments

• goldfinch on wire.jpg
    goldfinch on wire.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 166
  • pinkies above kinnordy.jpg
    pinkies above kinnordy.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 170
That was a good day for your Darrell

I wish Delia had been there to see them!!!

hmmm... you can't find them for me when I'm there can you:-C However, I was tied up today - my microwave blew up last night :eek!:and I had to get a new one.

I'm glad to hear that the feeders are back in action, I've missed them over the summer.

D

The reserve will be closed this saturday until around lunchtime. It's the second date of the month for shooting, so best to stay away til about 12.30 ish.

Blue sky, sun and not even a slight breeze. Thats the weather that greeted me when i arrived at 7.45 this morning. There was a nice crisp feel to the air and its the first time i had warn gloves for a while.

As i got out of the car, it was the sound of siskins that greeted me. They were high up in the trees and bushes surrounding the car park. With there having been shooting at the reserve yesterday, i wasnt sure what the duck count would be like today. As i drove past the swamp end, there didn't seem to be as many as usual.

Off to the swamp hide i went and as i got to the end of the first boardwalk, i could see and hear bullfinches in the bushes. What a wonderful sight it was, 15 bullfinches in all, sitting and eating at the top of the bushes. Some flew down to the path and then back up into the bushes. I hadn't seen so many together before. When i eventually got into the hide, my first thought was, where have all the gadwall gone!! There were over 50 sitting out on the water last week and not a single one to be seen this morning. A few teal, mallard and 5 shoveler were the only ones around. I could hear water rail at both sides of the hide and the pine trees were full of rooks and jackdaws. Alot of them flew out of the trees to mob a pair of herons who had the cheek to fly near to their roost. One of the herons eventually came and sat on the new perch in front of the hide. As i left the hide, the bullfinches were still in the bushes and had been joined by a few siskin.

As i got to the boardwalk that leads to the gullery hide, three deer ran from the area to the right of the hide. From the hide, the mute swan family with three were in their normal place, and out on the east side, i counted a further twelve adults and two cygnets. Teal and mallard were also out at the front of the hide. Looking over to the east side of the reserve, i could see lots of ducks. 48 wigeon, lots of teal, mallard, tufties and 72 gadwall!!! 75 had been seen on thursday so they hadn't all flown off. Mind you, after the shooting yesterday, you couldn't blame them if they had. We then spotted another mute swan cygnet on its own near the reed bed...wonder where that ones been hiding all these weeks.

Pheasants, crows, wren, robin, a juv little grebe and alot of swallows were also seen before i set off for the east hide. Buzzards had also been seen, but later on in the morning, i counted 14 over the hills and close by on telegraph poles and fences.

A song thrush was at the feeding station, sitting in the bushes and starling and blackbird were also added to the list. From the east hide i re-counted the gadwall and wigeon.
I then decided to have a walk over to the lilly pond to see what i could find. On the way along the path, more bullfinches were much in evidence along with chaffinches, blue tits, great tits and woodpigeons. At the second bridge i saw goldcrests, more wrens and chaffinches. Towards the pond i added linnets, goldfinches and a couple of house martins to the list. More bullfinches were in the bushes next to the pond..12 in total along with a few long tailed tits. Overhead flew common gulls, numerous skiens of pink feet, a couple of redwing and a flock of 8 lapwing. It was lovely and warm in the sun, as i just sat for a while waiting for the birds to come along.

Heading back to the hides, a dunnock was added to the list at the first bridge, and then more bullfinches beside the path. I then saw a treecreeper at the sleus bridge, climbing the dead trees. Blue tits were also there in large numbers.

Back at the hides, more geese could be heard and seen flying over head. A pair of snipe also flew from the far side of the reeds and back again. A great spotted woodpecker flew over the hide as a reed bunting flew in front of the hide.

I decided to go off to the swamp hide again to see what was in that area. Rooks and jackdaws were still there in big numbers and they suddenly got airbourne having been spooked by a peregrine which flew north over the reserve. From the hide, there were three ducks on the water and little else. One or two lapwing were over at the far side and a heron was to be seen fishing close by.

In the bushes on the far side of the reserve, there were alot of redwing 50+, helping themselves to all the berries. They flew to a tree at the west end and then came back later, to have another feast.

The only other bird to go onto the list was a kestrel which flew over the loch and back into the tall pine tree opposite the gullery hide.

Another good days work was had. Lovely weather, lots of birds and it had been great to see so many bullfinches, with over 30 counted.

Photo 1 Swamp end, early morning with a slight mist over the water
Photo 2 Bullfinch outside the swamp hide
Photo 3 Long tailed tit, calling to its mate, along near the lilly pond
Photo 4 Heron on the perch at the swamp end.

Attachments

• swamp early morning.jpg
    swamp early morning.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 188
  • bullfinch.jpg
    bullfinch.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 183
  • long tailed tit calling.jpg
    long tailed tit calling.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 180
  • heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 191
Sunday 7th October

Kinnordy is a wonderful place to visit at the moment. Autumn has well and truly arrived, with the trees and bushes in all sorts of different colours, and carpets of leaves all around.

It was lovely and sunny when i arrived at 8am. There was a chill in the air and definately hands in the pockets for the first hour.

As i arrived, Hannah had also just arrived to do the webs count. We went along to the swamp end first and could hear the sound of geese, not that far away. They were in the stubble field opposite the gullery hide and as they settled, a further 200+ arrived from the west, bringing the total to about 800.
In the water, we counted 16 shoveler, teal, mallard, a couple of gadwall and a single goldeneye...first one this autumn. Over on the far side, we could see 4 snipe, sunning themselves as they stood on one of the branches sticking out of the water. To the left of the hide, over towards the marshy area, we spotted a water rail preening at the edge of the water.

Off to the gullery hide, and as we entered the hide, we saw 4 little grebes out in front. They must have heard us because it wasnt long before they scuttled off heading east. Teal, mallard and moorhen were also seen. A pair of herons flew around chasing each other while a buzzard sat for ages in a tree viewing the geese.
There were 20 adult swans and 6 cygnets along with a great number of both wigeon and gadwall along towards the east. Many moorhen and a few tufties were also present. Soon, a cormorant flew across the reserve before landing on a branch at the east end. That was the first one i'd seen here for ages. Later on in the morning, it was soon to be joined by another two.

I decided to go for my usual walk to the lilly pond. As i departed the car park, the first bird to be seen was a couple of siskin. A woodpecker then flew past and into a dead tree to the right of the path. Robin, wren and blackbird were also into the note book along with bullfinches who were feeding on the thistles next to the feeding station. Chaffinches fought for places on the feeders along with coal, blue and great tits. The coal tits were busy trying to find the seeds they liked and continually discarding the ones they didn't like, to the waiting finches on the ground.

At the east hide, i saw a pair of deer running up the stubble field and was sure they would spook the geese, but not a single goose moved.

Off along the path and at the plug area, a flock of 50+ siskins were flying from tree to tree. In the tree above my head, a treecreeper was busy looking for food while a pair of goldcrest chased each other.

As i walked, i kept having to stop for what i thought was birds above. I soon discovered it was the sound of leaves, falling from the bushes and trees that had caught my attention.
Between the bridges it was more coal tits and bullfinches that were present. Just around the corner from the second bridge it was yet more bullfinches. A flock of 15 were busy feeding off the thistles while a couple of goldcrests flew among the bushes. Blackbirds were trying to eat as many berries as they could and goldfinches and linnets flew overhead. As i neared the lilly pond reed buntings and chaffinches were seen. I then counted 5 jays, as they flew in different directions from the tall pines.A few redwing flew over before my eyes were drawn to a flock of birds coming from the west. It was soon obvious it was a flock of 70+ golden plover which divided in half and went off in opposite directions. The geese could be heard in the direction of the stubble field as they continued to be spooked by what ever was around.

It was time to head back to the hides and it was the same birds on the way back along with a few red squirrels in the trees. Bullfinches, treecreeper, siskin and goldcrest.

I went back along to the swamp end and was only in the hide a few minutes when all the geese from the field, uplifted to the water at the east end. I hurried back to the gullery hide, and as i sat down, the geese were spooked and rose as one into the sky. It was a magnifisent sight and what a noise. They returned to their feeding in the stubble field. The geese lifting from the water had spooked all the ducks, who were seen flying round the area for ages before settling back down again.

It was quite quiet for the rest of the afternoon. A female sparrowhawk flew in and settled on the bogbean opposite the gullery hide. It stood there for ages, sunning its self and even turned round, so its back could get some warmth from the sun.

Before i departed, i decided to have another look at the feeders to see what was there. Bullfinches were again feeding on the thistles while the usual suspects were on the feeders. I then heard the geese taking off from the field and again land on the water at the east end. I hurried along to the east hide to see at leat 800 birds land on the water. There was another group of about 300+ that settled back in the field rather than going for a drink. They were only on the water for a few moments when they were spooked by something, and off they went. Again, the noise was amazing.I stopped and took a few photos of the birds at the feeders on my way back to the car.

Attachments

• autumn at kinnordy.jpg
    autumn at kinnordy.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 172
  • blue tit at feeders.jpg
    blue tit at feeders.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 165
  • early morning swim.jpg
    early morning swim.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 190
  • woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 176
  • spooked pinkies.jpg
    spooked pinkies.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 185
Sunday 7th October

Kinnordy is a wonderful place to visit at the moment. Autumn has well and truly arrived, with the trees and bushes in all sorts of different colours, and carpets of leaves all around.

It was lovely and sunny when i arrived at 8am. There was a chill in the air and definitely hands in the pockets for the first hour.

As i arrived, Hannah had also just arrived to do the webs count. We went along to the swamp end first and could hear the sound of geese, not that far away. They were in the stubble field opposite the gullery hide and as they settled, a further 200+ arrived from the west, bringing the total to about 800.
In the water, we counted 16 shoveler, teal, mallard, a couple of gadwall and a single goldeneye...first one this autumn. Over on the far side, we could see 4 snipe, sunning themselves as they stood on one of the branches sticking out of the water. To the left of the hide, over towards the marshy area, we spotted a water rail preening at the edge of the water.

Off to the gullery hide, and as we entered the hide, we saw 4 little grebes out in front. They must have heard us because it wasnt long before they scuttled off heading east. Teal, mallard and moorhen were also seen. A pair of herons flew around chasing each other while a buzzard sat for ages in a tree viewing the geese.
There were 20 adult swans and 6 cygnets along with a great number of both wigeon and gadwall along towards the east. Many moorhen and a few tufties were also present. Soon, a cormorant flew across the reserve before landing on a branch at the east end. That was the first one i'd seen here for ages. Later on in the morning, it was soon to be joined by another two.

I decided to go for my usual walk to the lilly pond. As i departed the car park, the first bird to be seen was a couple of siskin. A woodpecker then flew past and into a dead tree to the right of the path. Robin, wren and blackbird were also into the note book along with bullfinches who were feeding on the thistles next to the feeding station. Chaffinches fought for places on the feeders along with coal, blue and great tits. The coal tits were busy trying to find the seeds they liked and continually discarding the ones they didn't like, to the waiting finches on the ground.

At the east hide, i saw a pair of deer running up the stubble field and was sure they would spook the geese, but not a single goose moved.

Off along the path and at the plug area, a flock of 50+ siskins were flying from tree to tree. In the tree above my head, a treecreeper was busy looking for food while a pair of goldcrest chased each other.

As i walked, i kept having to stop for what i thought was birds above. I soon discovered it was the sound of leaves, falling from the bushes and trees that had caught my attention.
Between the bridges it was more coal tits and bullfinches that were present. Just around the corner from the second bridge it was yet more bullfinches. A flock of 15 were busy feeding off the thistles while a couple of goldcrests flew among the bushes. Blackbirds were trying to eat as many berries as they could and goldfinches and linnets flew overhead. As i neared the lilly pond reed buntings and chaffinches were seen. I then counted 5 jays, as they flew in different directions from the tall pines.A few redwing flew over before my eyes were drawn to a flock of birds coming from the west. It was soon obvious it was a flock of 70+ golden plover which divided in half and went off in opposite directions. The geese could be heard in the direction of the stubble field as they continued to be spooked by what ever was around.

It was time to head back to the hides and it was the same birds on the way back along with a few red squirrels in the trees. Bullfinches, treecreeper, siskin and goldcrest.

I went back along to the swamp end and was only in the hide a few minutes when all the geese from the field, uplifted to the water at the east end. I hurried back to the gullery hide, and as i sat down, the geese were spooked and rose as one into the sky. It was a magnifisent sight and what a noise. They returned to their feeding in the stubble field. The geese lifting from the water had spooked all the ducks, who were seen flying round the area for ages before settling back down again.

It was quite quiet for the rest of the afternoon. A female sparrowhawk flew in and settled on the bogbean opposite the gullery hide. It stood there for ages, sunning its self and even turned round, so its back could get some warmth from the sun.

Before i departed, i decided to have another look at the feeders to see what was there. Bullfinches were again feeding on the thistles while the usual suspects were on the feeders. I then heard the geese taking off from the field and again land on the water at the east end. I hurried along to the east hide to see at leat 800 birds land on the water. There was another group of about 300+ that settled back in the field rather than going for a drink. They were only on the water for a few moments when they were spooked by something, and off they went. Again, the noise was amazing.I stopped and took a few photos of the birds at the feeders on my way back to the car.

Hi Darell.

Super report, and the pictures you have are lovely to see. Great shots. Love the one of the GS Woodpecker :t:

You sound although that you had a good day out and the weather was on your side at least. Autumn is truly here at the moment and there is a nip in the air too. Pretty trees and the whole colouration of the countryside just changes overnight.

What type of geese did your see over the fields? Pinkfeet always seem to be tagging on in a flock don't they, especially with Greylags. They are amazing to hear, see and when they fly in a flock it is something out of this world.
It does not take a lot to make them fly either.

Lots of ducks for you to see, and there is such a selection to see. Little Grebes are really beautiful to look at and they looks noting like the GC Grebe at all do they! Just a good selection for the day.

You saw Bullfinches, you are lucky. They are quite difficult to see and do not like birdfeeders unless they are pushed to find food. What handsome birds too. Did you see a female or a male one?

Must look at this thread as it reminds me of Scotland, and all what it has to offer in the wildlife department. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Hi Darrel

Just thought I would mention that you reports are really good, and I am covering all of them I have not answered here. Your pictures are really nice and it is a joy to see them.

I will come up your way again sometime I am sure that I will. I have birth roots in Edinburgh so a visit to Scotland will be on the cards in the future.
This is reply to your last post (Post 84) in reply to me. So I have not forgotten here. :t:

For your information I have visited Kirremuir a couple of times, here and there.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your reply. The geese were all pinkfeet. We did look for any strays such as an odd barnacle or something else, but they were all pinkies. We did see one greylag, but am not sure if its one that's been around all year. They bred on the reserve this year, and produced three youngsters.

We are now waiting for the whoopers to arrive. It was the first week in november last year, and i saw three in the bay at loch leven three weeks ago, so i don't suppose it will be too long now.

The autumn colours are certainly breath taking at the moment. Walking through the trees and hearing skylarks singing over the fields was great on sunday.

Attachments

• Flying woody.jpg
    Flying woody.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Coming in for a drink.jpg
    Coming in for a drink.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 163
  • sparrowhawk in the sun.jpg
    sparrowhawk in the sun.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 173
  • feeders.jpg
    feeders.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 177
reading darells reports i was really looking forward to visiting kinnordy yesterday but with non stop rain i put it off untill today, when i got up it was very foggy 10 foot visibilaty,i headed anyway hoping for the best, after driving at 20 mph for most the journey the fog started to lift and i saw a buzzard in a field just south of kinnordy
buzzard-2.jpg

once at kinnordy there was costant bird chatter from the trees ,i headed straight for the feeders as the fog was still lifting on the loch, 1wren, 1robin, chaffinches/blue tits/coal tits.great tits/2 dunnocks/1 great spotted woodpecker,the feeders are not the best place to get pics due to the shaddows from the other trees i managed these

bluetit.jpg

chfn.jpg

chfn3.jpg

after the feeders i headed to the east hide i counted 22 mute swans plus 6 tufted ducks near by, the sun started to come out and some geese appeared from the west flying in a circle then heading back towards lintrathen
geese2.jpg

geese.jpg

i visited lintrathen on my way home and there was a very large noisy flock present
lint.jpg

with the new light i headed back to the gullery hide, it was very quiet a few mallards plus 3 little grebes

lgrebe.jpg

this is the most ive seen together

i then headed for the marsh hide on the way i saw blackbirds/1 robin /great tit plus a few bird calls i couldnt identify,the heron was sitting on the perch in front of the hide ,there was a few gadwall swimming about plus one pair of shovelars,

shvlr.jpg

the rooks were also sitting in their nesting trees,
by this time the weather was like a summers day so i decided to try and walk right around the loch heading eastwards,the foliage colours were beutifull hard to display in a pic
sc1.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc4.jpg

sc6.jpg

sc2.jpg

just east of the east hide i caught this chap jumping about in the shaddows,
first pic ive managed of him/her at kinnordy and i was very pleased

sq.jpg

i then walked right round past the lily pond and up to the field with the square bales in it at this point i couldnt find a way across the fence and it looked like the farmer had put some new fencing up, with this in mind plus the farmers were working on the bales it was a long walk back around,i saw 1 male bullfinch 1 redwing 4 buzzards plus this bird beside the bale fields

un.jpg

i heard but never saw siskins,still no kites though

while i was arranging the pics to post here i came across this pic taken 18/07/06
IMG_3783-1.jpg

it was in the gullery hide and made no attemt to fly off when i picked it up,
i held it out the window and it still just sat there, i reached for my camera to try and take a pic when it flew off leaving a large deposit on my hand

Last edited:
Fantastic photos kawwauser. I agree that its not very easy to convey the beauty of the colours and the atmosphere through the photos. I took quite a few last weekend, and was only truly happy with a couple. Maybe its my bad photo skills or lack of!!

I am not at the reserve this weekend, but will be there next wednesday, so if anyone would like to go for a walk, i will be heading off about 11 o'clock. Fingers crossed for the weather.

At the end of this month, we are having a "feed the birds" day down in the kirrie Den on sunday 28th October. More details to follow next week.

They certainly are super photos and a great report as well.

I was there late afternoon today... on the way to have a look at the feeders bumped into 3 Bullfinch (later saw half a dozen at the end of the board walk to the Gullery Hide. Not much using the feeders when I was there, a few Blue Tits and Chaffinch.

There's now 13 Greylag. A large skein of Pinkfoot flew over heading East.

Loads and loads of Common Gulls, gradually all moving off West with more coming from the East to join with them.

Who was the wag who reported a Lesser Spotted Dodo in the book:-O

May join you Wednesday Darell, pop a reminder in here the night before can you, please?

D

i was at kinnordy early this morning and was glad to see some sunny weather , thats twice this month, it was very windy leaving dundee and i never saw much birdlife on the way, a sinlge jay was present just east of newtyle, getting out my car at kinnordy i heard a lot of bird chatter coming from the trees and saw a small flock of lapwings flying west over the car park, i headed for the east hide first and on the way stopped off at the feeders, they were very quiet 1 great tit 1coal tit and a very agitated wren below the bench, i stood for five mins to see if a predator was about but nothing showed, i then made my way to the east hide and saw a few small birds jumping about in the trees but it was too windy to get an id,the water in front of the east hide was very busy, plenty mallards,tufted ducks, gadwall,the moorhens were feeding out in the open water, i also saw my first whooper of the year feeding between the mute swans,
wh.jpg

there was a heron sitting behind it and two cormorants sitting nearby, four wigeon were also present plus teal ducks were landing nearby, i then headed back to the gullery hide, on the way i saw 2 jackdaws 1 robin plus the great spotted woodpecker had taken over the feeder ,two chaffinches sat nearby watching the woodpecker, the trees around the gullery hide were also busy coalt tits, dunnock, 3 redwings ,blackbirds, the water in front of the hide was very quiet 2 mallards, plus the mute swans with the cygnets, the surrounding trees and reeds had plenty of movement, a grey wagtail was using the perch to the right of the hide
greywgt.jpg

blue tits were also feeding in the reeds, i heard a woodpecker drilling very close , i first thought it might be on the roof, i had a look around but couldnt locate it, i did see a female reed bunting feeding in the trees on the right hand side of the hide,
rb3.jpg

rb2.jpg

on the way to the swamp hide i surprised a buzzard which must have been sitting low in the trees on the right, it struggled to get into the air plus dodge all the bushes, just short of the swamp hide there was 7 female bullfinches feeding on the thistles,
bll3.jpg

bl2.jpg

the swamp hide was also quiet 2 teal ducks and some mallards, a buzzard flew over the hide and to the untrained eye could have easily passed as an
osprey

bzz.jpg

i then spent 20 mins checking the bullfinches to see if there was a male present, none spotted, small flocks of geese circled the loch but dont seem keen on landing at the moment

Wednesday 17th October

A lovely sunny morning with a strong cold wind. It was really quite bitter at times, but lovely when walking in the sunshine, sheltered from the wind.

I arrived about 10.30 and could hear some pinkfeet as i got out of the car. They were heading west towards lintrathen so didnt get a chance to see them.
At the boardwalk to the gullery hide, there was a flock of long tailed tits flying from tree to tree and some coal tits feeding on the seeds in the feeders. In the gullery hide it was really quite quiet until i looked eastwards. Lots of ducks...gadwall, wigeon, teal, mallard, moorhen, tufties, a cormorant, mute swans and three whoopers.

To the left of the hide, there were three goldeneye, teal, shoveler and mallards along with the mute swan family. The cygnets were really quite active this morning, continuously flapping their wings. I wonder when their maiden flight will be.
A pair of grey wagtails made a brief visit and landed on a post outside the hide.

After a while, i went along to the east hide to get a closer look at the whoopers. Bullfinch, chaffinch, blackbird, robin, coal tit, great tit and great spotted woodpecker were added to the list. The feeding station was quiet apart from some coal tits and chaffinches, underneath waiting for scraps.

From the east hide we got a better look at the swans and all the ducks that were around. We counted 96 wigeon. There were also three herons flying around in front of the hide. I headed back to the car park and met up with Delia who had come along for the walk.

We headed for the swamp hide to see what was around. Rooks, 5 greylag geese and woodpigeon were the only new names into the book. There weren't alot of birds to see from the hide. A few mallard, a couple of shoveler and a few teal were present, while over at the far side we saw a heron, a water rail and a single lapwing. Outside the hide again and we found a small flock of long tailed tits and in amongst them were blue tits and goldcrest. Along the path we saw blackbirds eating the berries and in with them was a single redwing which Delia didn't manage to see...sorry!! In to the gullery hide and Delia was able to see her first whooper swans of this autumn.
Along the path to east hide, we saw bullfinches,chaffinches, coal tits and a robin.
After some lunch, it was off to the lilly pond and the path was really quiet. We did see some more bullfinches and a flock of 30+ long tailed tits on the way. I also saw a treecreeper in among the long tails, climbing the trees. We saw a few groups of geese, some goldfinches and heard some siskins but didn't see them. A single moorhen was the only bird on the lilly pond.
The walk back to the car park was quiet aswell with only great tits and a cormorant sitting on a post being seen.

Todays photos are of the grey wagtails, some greylags that passed overhead, goldcrest which wouldn't sit still and the whoopers.

Thanks for the coffee today Delia!!!:-O

Attachments

• Grey Wagtail.jpg
    Grey Wagtail.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 186
  • grey wagtails.jpg
    grey wagtails.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 169
  • goldcrest.jpg
    goldcrest.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 179
  • greylag geese.jpg
    greylag geese.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 173
Nice report Darell and good piccies too, as normal.

You were welcome to the coffe... I think I'm just thawing out now, but what a lovely day.

I didn't see anything much from the road, either, just two Mallard flew up soon after you left and another Buzzard.

D

Having bought some new bins yesterday, i thought it only right that i should go and try them out properly at kinnordy this afternoon.

It was quiet as i stepped out of the car, apart from a couple of robins having a heated conversation. Off to the gullery hide i trod.

On the feeders, at the beginning of the boardwalk, great tits, coal tits and blue tits all took it in turn to help themselves to the seeds. Chaffinches were in the trees along with alot of blackbirds, helping themselves to berries. High in the trees, siskins were eating anything they could find aswell.

From the hide, there were 6 goldeneye over to the left along with a few wigeon and teal. Towards the east end i could see lots of tufties, gadwall, wigeon, teal, mallard, moorhen, mute swans,a cormorant, heron and lots of common gulls. A little grebe appeared over to the right but disappeard quite quickly. To the right of the hide, a kestrel flew into the tall pine trees, but was soon mobed by some rooks. A buzzard was the next one to be dive bombed by rooks and jackdaws at the same trees. One bird missing from wednesdays visit were the whooper swans. One was seen yesterday but nothing today. A flock of 40+ golden plovers flew past heading west and a few moments later another group of 9 headed off in the same direction.

I decided to go and have a look along at the swamp end. Very quiet apart from a few mallard, teal, a cormorant, heron and a few lapwing over on the far side. A flock of 60+ lapwing descended a little while later just as a large flock of pinkfeet flew over the hide heading west. There must have been some bird convention over in that direction today!!

Going back to the gullery direction, it was again very quiet with only a wren being added to the list. At the feeders, it was all the usual suspects that were there with a pheasant underneath looking for scraps. A pair of great spotted woodpeckers flew overhead...westwards!!

At the east hide, i had only just started to sit down when i heard the distinct sound of whooper swans. 6 circled and landed on the water in front of the hide. It must have been them who had set all the ducks up because they all suddenly lifted just before i heard the swans. I couldnt see any bird of prey around the area to suggest otherwise. There were a good 200 teal around with lots of wigeon and gadwall.

I went off along the path to see what was around. The paths were being cleared of leaves by a couple of volunteers, but the slight breeze seemed to be bringing the next carpet down to take their place. There were quite a few red squirrels around during my walk and apart from a few great tits, little else. I went over the two bridges, turned left and only went another 200yds before turning round again. As i went across the first bridge again, i thought it strange that the one bird i hadn't seen today was a bullfinch. Well, between the two bridges what did i see on the right...a male bullfinch!! I felt quite relieved to have seen one...the first of 15 on the way back. Long tailed tits were another one i hadn't seen and on the way back i found a flock of 20+ in some bushes along with a treecreeper and various tits. At the second bridge, i was standing talking to Hannah, when we spotted a flock of 26 fieldfare landing high up in the pine trees. As hannah started to rake up more leaves, they flew off..west!!

I didnt see much else as i headed back to the car park and home. It had been a good couple of hours birding and am pleased with the new bins.

Todays photos

Bluetit waiting patiently for its turn at the feeding station
Flock of golden plovers
Flock of lapwing
Arrival of some whoopers
New addition to our family, yesterday. Starts birdwatching lessons next week and promises not to catch any!!!

Attachments

• blue tit.jpg
    blue tit.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 153
  • golden plovers.jpg
    golden plovers.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 183
  • lapwing.jpg
    lapwing.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 158
  • whoopers landing.jpg
    whoopers landing.jpg