Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

external microphone

Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 14:34   #1
Bryon Wright

external microphone

Hi all, has anybody successfully used an external mike on a smartphone? Also has anybody enjoyed recording sounds on a Nokia 1020?
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 15:30   #2
Torchepot

There's some information here which looks useful.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...n-a-smartphone

Looks like matching a mic to an Android phone could be a bit tricky?
Old Sunday 25th February 2018, 10:34   #3
Bryon Wright

Thanks for this link T.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 19:55   #4
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I'd love to hear from somebody who has used this for bird recording: it would be an extremely useful tool on foreign birding trips.

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 12:53   #5
pbjosh

I've successfully used a Sennheiser shotgun mic with a cel phone. However the mic is then several times the size of the cel phone and you notably lose some very useful features of a dedicated recorder - gain control, visual clipping indication, and prerecord buffering (where you put it in record-ready mode and then finally hit record just after the bird starts to sing without clipping the beginning of the song). As well of course the phones ADC circuitry is going to be inferior to most any dedicated recorder. Some of the features might be available in aftermarket recording apps, I've not looked into them. However I'd suggest if you're going to carry a shotgun mic you probably will have a sock on it and you might as well carry one of the small but very capable recorders. I'm personally a fan of the Sony PCM-M10 for intersection of features, quality, and size/weight. I've found that with good technique you can get just as good a recording without a pistol grip, though I personally like the shock mount that comes with the pistol grip, just used without the pistol grip. I'll post a photo of my setup to show you what I mean.

What I'm not aware of is a smaller mic than the Sennheiser ME 66 that is rugged and has a good amount of gain but is smaller. If you could get a smaller shotgun with good gain and good field ruggedness, and a decent quality sock to accompany it, that would be excellent. Might be out there, I certainly haven't investigated thoroughly.

Last edited by pbjosh : Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 12:57.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 13:20   #6
pbjosh

Scrap that, I'm not willing to transfer images from my phone to my computer then manually resize them just to upload them. I have the ME-66 with the K6 host, a pretty standard setup really for field recording and what almost everyone uses unless they have the ME-67 (higher gain but longer mic) or a parabola. Here's an explainer page on the Sennheiser mics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...ries-explained

A good windsock is pretty mandatory if you want any quality or useful recordings in many situations. The Rycote classic softie is the standard / best, but a smaller foam one can work as well.

I use just the isolating part of the pistol grip mount, something like this but with the mount part taken off so I just have a small tubular cage that I grab:

https://www.amazon.com/ASM1-isolatin...ic+shock+mount

That gets you basically the standard field setup on the mic side of it. The mounts and windsocks are the variable bits, but for a shotgun mic I can't think of ever having seen anyone using other than a Sennheiser ME-66 or ME-67.

Then you need an XLR to 3.5mm (1/8") microphone cable.

If you get all that, you might as well get a small lightweight dedicated recorder.

Last time I looked at smaller mic options, there really weren't any that I liked. The little "baby shotgun mics" for video cameras that I was able to find didn''t really have enough gain or quality for my desire for field recording. However this market is rapidly expanding and there may be new options. AFAIK the reigning kings for DSLR recordings are the Rode VideoMic Pro and the Sennheiser MKE-400. If you're willing to except 40% of the sensitivity of the ME-66 setup, and can get a good 3rd party recording application to do pre-recording, clip indication, and gain control on your specific cel phone, you could have a pretty slick small setup.
Old Sunday 25th March 2018, 16:34   #7
Bryon Wright

Hi all,
thanks for this information pbjosh.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: