Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Warbler - South Africa

Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 19:45   #1
Keanumrc

Warbler - South Africa

Hi all

I recently photographed this warbler at the edge of a large reedbed without any stretches of open water in Pretoria, South Africa. It seems to have the general looks of an acrocephalus warbler, and the heavy bill seems to fit Great Reed Warbler (The smaller reed warblers and Lesser Swamp-Warbler have more slender bills, and Lesser Swamp-Warbler also prefers reedbeds with deeper, open water). However, I don't feel that this bird fits Great Reed Warbler exactly in terms of giss - with it looking rather "baby-faced" with a stubbier bill. It was difficult to judge the bird's size, but my initial impression of it being about the size of a Ploceus weaver made me instantly jump to the conclusion of GRW, although it didn't appear huge and they tend to be a little bigger than a weaver I think. In the last photo I think that I can just make out a rather long primary projection. It would be great to hear any other opinions. Thanks!

Kind regards
Keanu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warb1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	657781  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warb2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	657782  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warb3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	657783  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warb4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	657784  
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 20:13   #2
andyadcock

I think I'd plump for Lesser Swamp Warbler?

A
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 10:24   #3
Bryon Wright

Hi all,
Kean more than one race of GRW. occurs in Africa. The colours tend to veer towards extreme rufescent in some photos but the thrush like, deep base to the bill indicates, great reed warbler. The really stout legs and over large feet are also a good indicator. In the flight shot #2, the extra long primary projection of GRW. is evident. Not sure why #4 appears so rufous like in a swamp warbler!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: