• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galapagos (1 Viewer)

roxby

Hi All

I wonder if anyone on this forum can help with an enquiry regarding Galapagos.

I am planning a trip from mid-late March, I wont be on an organised cruise and will be birding the islands independently. As part of this I am planning a day trip to Espanola principally to see Waved Albatross (and the 2 endemic landbirds). My question is will the Albatross be back at this time, I know its quite early in the season so I have some concerns.

Apart from visiting the island is it likely that Albatross would be seen seawatching from San Cristobel?

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Malcolm

Use ebird.org, click explore, species map and enter the species name. Limit the time to March and choose for example the last 10 years.

Niels

By late March you should see some birds on Española I would think, though I would double check eBird carefully as Niels suggests, and perhaps recent trip reports.

I don't think you're likely to see it on a San Cristobal seawatch - if they're back in the area Española will be a far better chance of connecting. We went in Dec and there were far fewer Albatross than at peak season though we still saw plenty including a bit of displaying. On the water, however, we only saw one raft of a few individuals, and no where near land.

Hi All,

I will be in late july one week.. but by my own, as boat trips are extremely expensive. If I fly to Baltra, which islands should I visit? I know its not too much time..

This is the itinerary I thought:

- Arrive at San Cristobal (afternoon)
- San Cristobal by myself or Pitt point day trip
- San Cristobal by myself
- Day trip to Española
- Boat from San Cristobal to Isabela (stop at Santa cruz, few hours left)
- Isabela by myself or day trip there
- Boat to Santa cruz and santa cruz by myself or Isabela by myself again
- Santa cruz in the morning and go back to Quito

I know I miss Genovesa, the flightless cormorant, etc, but my budget is so limited...

What do you think? Any change?

It´s a good plan B :)

This is the itinerary I thought:

- Arrive at San Cristobal (afternoon)
- San Cristobal by myself or Pitt point day trip
- San Cristobal by myself
- Day trip to Española
- Boat from San Cristobal to Isabela (stop at Santa cruz, few hours left)
- Isabela by myself or day trip there
- Boat to Santa cruz and santa cruz by myself or Isabela by myself again
- Santa cruz in the morning and go back to Quito

I know I miss Genovesa, the flightless cormorant, etc, but my budget is so limited...

What do you think? Any change?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back