• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India Pipit ID ? (1 Viewer)

aloktewari

Opus Editor
Supporter
India
Provisional : Blyth's Vs Paddyfield Pipit

Location : Nazafgarh Wetlands and Marshes, Gurgaon-Delhi Border, India.

Size : mid-size pipit

Date : 10.01.2019

Attachments

• DSCN6275.JPG
    DSCN6275.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN6278.JPG
    DSCN6278.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN6279.JPG
    DSCN6279.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 73
Nice photos!. I would suggest a Blyth's Pipit, first winter.

But I prefer to see what the experts say

cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
Hi there,
I would agree that this bird is a Blyth's Pipit. The pale lores would fit Richard's or Blyth's rather than Paddyfield Pipit, and the relatively short 'conical' bill and short hindclaw are good pro-Blyth's features.
Regards,
Harry.

Are we quite sure this is Blyth's? I know the lore looks pale but the head is quite wedge-shaped and the bill looks a little long in the 3rd image. The crown is indistinctly streaked and the ear coverts are quite warm, creating a cheek patch. There isn't much of a "whisker" or moustachial in two of the images. More importantly, the centres of the median coverts come to a point, especially the central one - they should be blunter than this. Both median and greater coverts have very gingery tips, forming two rusty wingbars - shouldn't the former be white in Blyth's?

Happy to be contradicted as always.

I understood that adult Blyth's Pipit have square shaped median coverts, but this is not a distinctive feature in juveniles

Here's another image for median coverts ... most of them do look rather squarish ...
Best regards,
Alok.

Attachments

• DSCN2006.JPG
    DSCN2006.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back