• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neoprene Sheets for Lens Covers. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Hi,

Is anyone able to recommend a supplier of thin neoprene sheets in various designs?

I am after some, preferrably in camouflage designs, to create my own cheap protective cover for a Canon lens.

Even plain coloured ones would be okay as I could cover them with some camouflage tape anyway.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
I know they sell it in the States but we have been looking for UK supplier (camo effect) for ages with no luck. You can buy small pieces on Ebay in the Craft section A4 size in a few colours like black etc but Camo stuff is hard to get hold of.
We also found some 20" square peices of camo fabric which is very similar to woodland camo (just normal fabric not waterproof) you may be able to make a cover using that.
The Neoprene is VERY expensive fabric so the neoprene covers as sold at wildlife watching are pretty good value for money! In time I expect the camo neoprene to comedown in price which will be useful to us photographers.
I'm surprised Canon don't make the big lenses in darker colour for wildlife photographers instead of tacky white.
Good luck with your search
Ruth

I have bought the LensCoat direct from the States for my 500/5, and to be honest, if your are spending upto £10,000 on a lens (Canon 800/5.6) then I think a mere fifty quid or so is a good investment for a product that will protect your lens

Thanks Ruth, hopefully a supplier of the neoprene sheets shall emerge in the UK soon. I shall visit the local army surplus to see what they can recommend.

Meanwhile, would Chris be so kind as to buy me one seeing as it is only a mere fifty quid? ;) Where do you see them for fifty anyway? I ask as Warehouse Express do them for £60-65.

Just checked your website, nice pics!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, would Chris be so kind as to buy me one seeing as it is only a mere fifty quid? ;) Where do you see them for fifty anyway? I ask as Warehouse Express do them for £60-65.

QUOTE]

I bought direct from Lenscoat http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-canon-p-29.html as WE were not stocking them when I bought mine. The exchange rate was more favourable than it is at the moment too, still they are only sixty quid for God sake! My lens cost me over £4000 and if I wanted to buy it now it would cost £5500 so I consider the money I spent to be good value.

As for me buying them for those that want them then please email [email protected]

to be honest, if your are spending upto £10,000 on a lens (Canon 800/5.6) then I think a mere fifty quid or so is a good investment for a product that will protect your lens

Sound logic Chris, I could never understand those that bought a top of the range telescope costing up to £1500 and then shelled out £30 for a cheap tripod...

I spent ages last year trying to find a UK supplier...and gave up in the end.

There's a wide variety available in the States, and at good prices too, but its heavy stuff, and the shipping costs are prohibitively expensive.

I'll be watching with interest, just in case anyone does come up with a winning supplier.

QUOTE]

I bought direct from Lenscoat http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-canon-p-29.html as WE were not stocking them when I bought mine. The exchange rate was more favourable than it is at the moment too, still they are only sixty quid for God sake! My lens cost me over £4000 and if I wanted to buy it now it would cost £5500 so I consider the money I spent to be good value.

As for me buying them for those that want them then please email [email protected]

Chris

If you as a sugardaddy will buy me a Canon 800/5.6, ill get my own lenscoat, hows that for a deal ? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back