• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LEICA NOCTIVID 8x42 Fogged-up/Leaker (1 Viewer)

No hesitation taking mine out in the rain though I haven't (mostly due to ME not wanting to go out in the rain). In fact, IF my glasses are going to leak i WANT to know about it and now so we can get the issue resolved! Now I'm thinking I aim to test mine now.

Canon's 10x42IS instruction manual recommends rinsing the glass using a bucket of cold water if it has been on a salt water excursion. That is the kind of waterproofing I can relate to.
Still, it did not last forever either, only about 10 years. There is probably nothing totally reliable, so best to just be aware and be quick to act if there are signs of trouble. Leica will doubtless be interested to see what failed in your glass, if only to see whether a potentially costly weakness can be eliminated.

Wow Chuck! One of the most gripping entries ever on BF. Very glad of the happy ending!

I can only echo: Wow Chuck. Nice story but not so nice at the time. Better take fisherman's waders, a snorkel and maybe some flippers next time.

Glad the Uvids were OK.

Lee

I know right! You would think I would have taken some pictures! Kind of Fight/flight syndrome and had a one track mind. I wanted to fish them out ASAP. Waterproofness is a function of exposure TO the water so I knew the longer they were on the bottom, the greater the chance of an issue. Not knowing EXACTLY where the fell in was an issue. Once I hooked them I wanted to wash them off ASAP because the water was muddy and the bottom soft mud. The only thing I did was rush home, remove the eyecups, filled up the sink and cleaned them up. Look and function as new!

Chuck:

A very good story, and thus you need one of these....

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I ACTUALLY have one of those and a couple of "floats" made to attach to binoculars. I use them while canoeing. Of course I take Vortex Viper HDs canoeing not Leica's!

Surely it’s in the nature of things that one is going to see more reports of problems than reports of situations where there could have been a problem but wasn’t. I don’t recall reading any post saying ‘my Leicas got a good dousing today but they’re OK’. In fact even exceptional events which don’t have any result don’t normally get reported. I’ve been here for a while now and that’s the first time I’ve read Chuck’s story about his UV’s. Just sayin’........

I thought the Zeiss Conquest were the consensus for rough situations, there’s a youtube video where they even shoot the,m in the end and they still work

Edmund

……………... In fact even exceptional events which don’t have any result don’t normally get reported. I’ve been here for a while now and that’s the first time I’ve read Chuck’s story about his UV’s. Just sayin’........

When we buy such expensive equipment, we simply EXPECT it will not leak. So why reporting about it? Chuck's story is only noteworthy in view of what else we read in this thread.

I should add, that Leica had a long history of claiming their old Trinovids were waterproof when they were not.

I was in touch with Leica UK customer service during the week. I got the lowdown on how to proceed, the Noctivids will have to be sent back to a base in Portugal for checking, from there they will like likely be going back to Germany as Leica's Wetzlar base deals with Noctivids. It is unlikely the model will be replaced (as I'd prefer) as this is an unusual solution. They'll be 'put back through the manufacturing process' and put through the same (hopefully more rigourous!) tests every models goes through. As to how this pair catastrophically failed it is down to a 'gas leakage'. Commonest reason for a gas-seal break in these bino's is apparently an impact or fall (these didn't get one). Likely turnaround time before I get them back is 3-4 weeks. I asked out of curiostity have they had many fail in this way and off the top of his head he could only think of two! The complaints department - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oTs6Oz-OW8 ?!

I feel sorry for you, Hugh!
Given the recent experience with my own 7x42 UV HD (separate thread), I fear the 3-4 weeks could easily become 10-12 weeks with all the shipping around, various factories in various countries and places involved, etc.
As we have discussed in this forum many times, sometimes extensively, there is always something that can go wrong, even with the best premium instruments, but then service quality - and this includes service time in my view! - becomes the differentiating factor based on which brand prestige rests.
That‘s what gets sometimes forgotten in management meetings when financial results are discussed (today‘s accounting makes it not so easy to properly value something like brand prestige).

A thread like this one (or mine) would not have been written if Leica had just done the right thing and given you a replacement (since this seems clearly a service under warranty).

Just my 2 cent. I know many here may see it differently.

Canip

I know of Swarovski binocular users who have had to return their units for repair or whatever and Swarofski have sent them out a replacement pair to use in the interim, but it would seem Swarovski's customer service is on another level altogether.

Last edited:
Hugh,

Although you have received an acknowledgement from Leica Customer Service as to how they intend to handle the faulty unit, may I suggest that you press them for a loan unit until yours is returned stating that it is an unknown period of time to be without binoculars, despite their proposed estimate. (Per Canip's experience).
Try to obtain a contact name for the senior Customer Service Manager if you haven't already done so. Good Luck.

Aside, there is no f in Swarovski.

Thanks Pyrtle, I'll certainly try. The main Leica dealer here is in Dublin where I am so all they have to do is send me there to pick something to use - and I'd happily settle to use something else - like a pair of Swarovski's!

Last edited:
I know of Swarovski binocular users who have had to return their units for repair or whatever and Swarofski have sent them out a replacement pair to use in the interim, but it would seem Swarovski's customer service is on another level altogether.

Same way, Zeiss Switzerland has dealt with a repair that was not even a warranty case. Well, the repair was then fairly costly, but the old FL is now definitely like new.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back