• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making-of-pics - how do you take your pictures? (1 Viewer)

I think my 600mm is too big to support this way. I could lie it on the ground of course, but then low-lying plants and stuff tends to get in the way. Or I could lean it on a bag, but then that's one more thing to drag along with me. What I need is something like a monopod that's a foot long!
QUOTE]

I'm sure Nigel Blake will tell you about his Frypod.

Bill W.

Hi Mike,

don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking hides/outdoor studios, but there's only so many times I can look at another bird on the same branch or in the same puddle without finding myself switching off...

Still, you do whatever works for you. If I could set up a hide for my local waders I might feel differently!

;)

The Frypod

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking hides/outdoor studios, but there's only so many times I can look at another bird on the same branch or in the same puddle without finding myself switching off...

Still, you do whatever works for you. If I could set up a hide for my local waders I might feel differently!

;)

The Frypod
I agree.It does get boring seeing the same perches.I am always looking for different branches,twigs and logs etc just for something different.I also dislike birds on feeders,give me a natural perch anyday.
I dont do a lot with waders (I dont live near the coast) but the way I took my recent LRP shots were dressed in camo and lying prone under some scrim net.I just waited until the bird came within range and bingo!

Okay here is another example of a rabbit I shot in the woods. The first shot shows where I was in relation to the rabbit (position of rabbit circled in red) Basically, I was above, looking down into woodland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/977897783

This is the rabbit digiscoped, straight out of the camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/977898159/in/photostream/

The final image with red eye reduction and sharpening applied:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/977898263/in/photostream/

:cat:

Great photos, Tobias.
I've never seen a portable hide here in Texas; I'd think the heat and humidity would make using one extremely uncomfortable. The crawling method wouldn't be advisable here either: You'd be too likely to crawl into a nest of chiggers or fire ants, or to come face-to-face with a copperhead or cottonmouth or rattlesnake!

Jeff

A very interesting and important thread . Usually professional photographers are not keen on sharing their secrets , but I myself as an amatuer am most willing to do so .
I find hides and camo to be very usefull in getting good close-ups.
Walking with a camera and shooting birds is OK , but the bird might be too far away in the photo - demanding heavy cropping later....
So here goes ( since I cannot upload more than 5 images at a time - I'll write 3 replies with 3 different techniques )
I try to look for different perches every time I set up a stage .

1- Shooting at home : I put up a stage outside my window, I plan the position and BG with the sun in the right angle.It'll usually take a day or two untill the birds get used to the perch and just fly in to land.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 206
2- Shooting from the car .
This is a very popular method - and very usefull at times .
Here you can see the perches stuck in the bank of the pool , and in the Bg you can see the small Kingfisher . If all goes well :t: - he'll land on the desired perch and position .( Marked with a circle )

Attachments

• post-1262-1155297297.jpg
    post-1262-1155297297.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 295
  • post-1262-1155297314.jpg
    post-1262-1155297314.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 256
3- Shooting from a hide .
I love it , but the main problem is the heat . I live in a sunny state and you cannot stay in the hide for more than a couple of hours in the summer . Luckily , migration season is cooler and then you can enjoy the hide.
Here's an example of a friend and me shooting some Stilts - each of us inside a camo tent - - a very good position for some low angle photos.

Attachments

• post-1262-1180818796.jpg
    post-1262-1180818796.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 254
  • post-1262-1180986670.jpg
    post-1262-1180986670.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 170
I agree with Keith on the procession of different birds on the same branch, etc! It's not seen as often as it used to be but there's still plenty out there!

For many of us the use of a hide isn't really an option - I do most of my photography in areas with public access so leaving a hide in position isn't possible and even working from a temporary portable hide will attract the curious onlooker sooner or later! The car makes a useful temporary hide in some situations, though - I've got a few good 'carpark' shots.

For me, the best chance of getting a shot when something poses within range is familiarising myself with my equipment so that I'm not fumbling around trying to adjust settings during those few vital seconds, and keeping the settings adjusted to suit the conditions (i.e. changing the ISO as soon as the light-levels change rather than waiting for the bird to appear and then worrying about it!)

No problem TobiasK,
Great thread you have there in Germany .

Here are 2 more examples:
From the window ,and the result.
+ Laying low shooting plovers.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 3_filtered.jpg
    3_filtered.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 193
  • post-1262-1156099320.jpg
    post-1262-1156099320.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 265
Very interesting thread.
I like shooting from a hide, especially for small birds, Wrens, Robins etc.
I have a portable hide I purchased from USA, but I also use a cheap tent (£15) as seen in the photo. The tent is 3 meters from the branch. Its covered with some Realtree but I not sure if you need it. I think the secret is no fast movements. Shutter noise this close has not been a problem. The camera and lens are mounted on a tripod at its lowest position and I sit on the ground using an angle finder. That way, you’re at the same level as the birds. They seem to land on the branch first and then onto the pond. It can get a bit boring sometimes but other times the camera can just about keep up.
Shots of the Wren and Robin have not been cropped or resized only reduced of the web.

Attachments

• Hide.jpg
    Hide.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Wren_807.jpg
    Wren_807.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Robin-807.jpg
    Robin-807.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 220
Tobias,
Yes of course. Good thread, its good to see other peoples technique. If we can all improve its got to be good

John

I do not use a blind, though I have often thought about purchasing one. Right now I feel I'm packing to much stuff around so the blind is out for now. What I have started using is a big piece of camo cloth. You simply wrap it around around yourself with the end of the lens sticking out. I often try to cover a lot of ground however there are cases when you find something extra special and you want to get better images. For this case I select a good location then cover myself in the camo cloth. After things settle down I often get some great photo ops, especially images where my subjects look more relaxed. The camo cloth is cheap and portable (fits easily in a pack).

I've also put camo lens covers on my lens and find this make a big difference. As a Canon user I found that a big white (pretty much the universal danger color) object was deterimental.

OK I'll give it a try.

First of all most of my pictures are taken on my own land. I live on 62
acres of wooded land surrounded by thousands of acres of wild land so I
rarely have to go far for pictures.

Don't use a hide and, in fact, most of my pics are taken from one of
three porches on my house.

All were taken with a DSLR coupled to an assortment of spotters and
astro scopes of various configurations. This gives me magnifications
from 15x to 60x but have found about 30x most useful.

SF

Attachments

• BUNTING02.jpg
    BUNTING02.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 144
  • CARDINAL17.jpg
    CARDINAL17.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 121
  • GOLDFINCH06.jpg
    GOLDFINCH06.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 146
  • GROSBEAK09.jpg
    GROSBEAK09.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Redstart2.jpg
    Redstart2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 142
Same here, Roy - I go out, I find birds, I photograph 'em.

With all due respect to its proponents, I've got no real interest in setting up a hide and an outdoor stage/studio, or doing this long distance, remote control bird photography - it strikes me that there's only a small step from this to the "photographer" not being there at all and setting the camera up to trigger automatically when a bird is near.

I have had tons of these using trail cameras. While many are not suitable for framing, it can be allot of fun.

I've recently been visiting a public feeding station where you can take photos from the car. The problem I was having was that the birds spent most of the time on a bird table, which wasn't ideal for photos. So I got a small log, drilled some holes along one side and packs it with food. I then screwed a quick release plate onto the bottom so that I could tripod mount it and place it where I wanted. I set it up next to one of the bird tables and the birds soon started using it. Now I'm planning to make some more similar perches.

The attached photos show the prop in place and a couple of birds using it.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 218
  • nuthatch_260208_0025.jpg
    nuthatch_260208_0025.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 156
  • greatspottedwoodpecker_050308_0024.jpg
    greatspottedwoodpecker_050308_0024.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 142
I've recently been visiting a public feeding station where you can take photos from the car. The problem I was having was that the birds spent most of the time on a bird table, which wasn't ideal for photos. So I got a small log, drilled some holes along one side and packs it with food. I then screwed a quick release plate onto the bottom so that I could tripod mount it and place it where I wanted. I set it up next to one of the bird tables and the birds soon started using it. Now I'm planning to make some more similar perches.

The attached photos show the prop in place and a couple of birds using it.
Nice idea Peter, I have been thinking of doing something similar at home in my garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back