• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Still in two minds !! (1 Viewer)

BackGardenMoths

Ok, I need to come to a decision. I'm currently running with a 500D and 100-400mm lens. Really enjoying the setup, but want to get the best possible photos I can. So my dilema is - shall I stick with the 500D or fork out £1200 this weekend for the 7D. Would I see the benefit of the upgrade and justify the outlay. I'm torn and don't really want to waste the money. What would you more experienced members do. I know the 7D is a camera but will the difference be worth the expense??

Simon

Keep your money in your pocket until you know the 500D inside-out, and have absolutely exhausted its potential, Simon - with the best will in the world (and I mean this positively), I don't think you're so far along your learning curve that you've outgrown the 500D. It's a very capable little camera.

I agree with Keith entirely. There may be one or two extra shots that the 7d will enable you to get because of it's autofocus etc, but the 550d is very capable and I do not think the upgrade will improve your photos like you want it to. Keep using the 550d until you are at its limits.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I sort of knew that was the right decision, but was letting my heart rule my head. I do like the 500D and I'm having some good success with it. Maybe I could go for a 1.4 or 2.0 TC to give me some extra reach.

Thanks for the advice. I sort of knew that was the right decision, but was letting my heart rule my head. I do like the 500D and I'm having some good success with it. Maybe I could go for a 1.4 or 2.0 TC to give me some extra reach.

you will lose AF with either converter on your 100/400
Rob.

you will lose AF with either converter on your 100/400
Rob.

.......and therefore be back to square one on the focussing issue ;).
Agree with all the above.Stick with the 500d and 100-400mm as its a cracking little combo.If you need to get closer,rather than get a convertor work on your fieldcraft skills.You will find the resulting shots much more rewarding.

.......and therefore be back to square one on the focussing issue ;).
Agree with all the above.Stick with the 500d and 100-400mm as its a cracking little combo.If you need to get closer,rather than get a convertor work on your fieldcraft skills.You will find the resulting shots much more rewarding.

Thanks Mike. will do.. I will invest in a battery grip for it so it's a bit easier to hold with the lens. seems like a worthwhile investment at £60..

And do not forget its not the cameras fault its the bloke atthe back of it,
as Keith says keep your cash in your pocket,

Hi all, Well I know you advised me to stick with my 500d and 100-400 combo, but I eventually decided to take the plunge and brought the 7D. In a word, wow. An incredible difference and was what I'd expected from my 500D, so this must show that there was an issue with the combination of the 500D. The images now are pin sharp... So very happy..

Only trouble is now is that the 7D is showing an intermittent err 40, so back to the shop tomorrow for me... Arggh !!!!

Will post an example when I've sorted the camera.

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back