• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A sigma 500mm and an extender? (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I am a keen photographer but its only recently i have had money to look at lenses a bit more... i like to photograph birds and wildlife mostly,
i do travel alot and would like a better kit..

I currently have a canon 60d, with the Sigma 28-300mm lense on it,
it can get some nice shots of birds, but it doesnt have that extra length that a bird watcher and wildlife photographer craves for,.

i need a little advice on what to buy, as iv been told various things...

my current lens with an extender?
or a sigma 500mm with an extender.,

obveously i dont have 6,000 pounds to spend on the canon 600mm
but i am looking at spending around £1,000 to try and get more out of my camera and the places i travel.>>!!!

any advice would be amazing

If it is the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 then I would not recommend using an extender as you will lose auto focus and IQ will suffer quite a bit. If it is the more expensive Sigma 500/4.5 prime IQ would be a lot better but you still lose AF from what I have read.

oops, just seen Rob's post, it seems like it is the old 50-500 (aka bigma).

edit: if you insist on getting an extender make sure it is a 1.4x and not a 2x.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back