• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice/ opinion! (1 Viewer)

Johnno65

Hi guys,
Have had my canon 60d and my sigma 70-300mm kit for 7 months now and thoroughly enjoy my quest to capture a unique images of my local bird life,however I realised that I am needing a bit more than 300mm at times no matter how good for field skills are. So could I have some advice/opinions on which possible lens to achieve this which may not amount to many available to myself as I am restricted by budget of £1000..

Many thanks Johnno

given the budget it is the classic three way choice - 100-400, 400 f5.6 or 300 f4 with a 1.4x. Any of those can be bought secondhand within your budget and all of them are very good lenses which can deliver outstanding results. All have slight advantages so it is a matter of working out which suits you best. 400 f5.6 has the fastest AF and probably just has the edge in sharpness, but has a relatively poor close focus and lacks IS. 300 f4 has IS and the best close focus of the three (1.2m) which is great for butterflies, also being f4 (when used without the tc) it has the edge in low light situations. 100-400 has IS and is the most flexible (the zoom range makes it good for many other subjects too), also has decent AF and IQ.

There isn't a clear winner amongst these lenses which is why you will see all of them being used by birders on a regular basis. For me the 100-400 just edges it as I love the versatility of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back