• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taped Pins ? (1 Viewer)

jonesboy

Hi everyone.
I want to know if I would still have to tape the pins for auto focus on my Canon 1x4 Converter with a 50D. I have been using a 30D which does not give the best results with the 1x4 to say the least lol. I have a EF 400mm 5.4

Cheers Jonesboy

Yep, and has been discussed here many times before, it's probable that results will be a lot worse with the 50D than with the 30D - you'll likely get no useful centre point AF whatsoever.

when you use your t/c with a 400 f5.6 your past the maximum recommended by canon ,the idea of taping the pins is to fool the electronics into thinking its still a 5.6 when in effect its a 7.1 or higher .your only option is to use the camera in a/v mode with the lens set wide open i.e 5.6 make sure your shutter speed is in excess of 1000th of a sec by using a higher iso and you should have no problems .in practise this really limits this setup (in the u.k anyway) to spring and summer use only .this applies to ALL t.c setups and is just the way that canon make there cameras ,otherwise no one would buy there rather overpriced f2.8 mega lenses :smoke:

and you should have no problems
Actually, it's entirely likely that he will have problems.

This has been talked about time and time again: some people have been lucky enough to find that taping pins on their 1.4x works on their 40D/50D/7D and 400mm f/5.6, but for most it's a non-starter.

when you use your t/c with a 400 f5.6 your past the maximum recommended by canon ,the idea of taping the pins is to fool the electronics into thinking its still a 5.6 when in effect its a 7.1 or higher .your only option is to use the camera in a/v mode with the lens set wide open i.e 5.6 make sure your shutter speed is in excess of 1000th of a sec by using a higher iso and you should have no problems .in practise this really limits this setup (in the u.k anyway) to spring and summer use only .this applies to ALL t.c setups and is just the way that canon make there cameras ,otherwise no one would buy there rather overpriced f2.8 mega lenses :smoke:
Not sure if you meant it but The aperture you set has no relevance to AF performance as the camera will always use the widest aperture available for Auto Focusing. BTW when you use a 1.4tc with a f5.6 lens you are, effectively at f8 (not f7.1). Also the f5.6 max does not apply the all Canon set-ups as one series Camera's will AF up to f8 on the centre point and you only need a f4 lens to be able to AF with a 1.4tc on any body (not f2.8 as you indicate). And as Keith has already said you will still have problems trying to AF with a 1.4tc and f5.6 on any non one series Camera no matter how you do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back