• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens issues (1 Viewer)

ohlookabirdie

love the birds!!!
Northern Ireland
My friend's Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS has a problem.

i use the same lens but not the IS version.

Before i explain the problem, i'll tell you that the camera body is not the problem as i have tested it on mine (its the same model Canon EOS 450D) andi tested my lens on hers. the problem is definatly with the lens. it has a Jessops UV filter on it.

It has 2 problems actually.

One is that the filter wont come off. she got it with the filter already attached and it has never been off. I was bought Second hand from amazon UK (she thinks) a few months ago.

The other is that when on auto-focus it is having trouble focusing. it seems to me (i've been using the same camera for almost 4 years) that it is trying to focus on a smudge on the inside surface of the filter. I have cleaned the outside surface with no effect.

when i use manual focus to unfocus it, then switch back to auto it can focus on the first thing it is pointed and take the shot, but any further attempts to focus fail and the auto focus confirmation light flashes and the shutter wont fire until i unfocus it again on manual.

i think that is all the details. a speedy reply would be much appriciated as she is leaving for another country tomorrow morning and i wont be able to help her fix it then.

I have posted this in the canon section also because i really need a fast responce

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back