• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just A Reminder Eagle Owls Tonight (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

HI Folks,

Wednesday 16th here already, don't want anyone including me to miss it:-

T BBC2 8.00 - 8.50 pm Natural World - Return of the Eagle Owl - Expert Roy Dennis investigates the remarkable comeback in Europe of the Eagle Owl, a fearsome predator capable of killing prey as large as foxes, domestic cats and even small dogs. From strongholds in the wilds of Scandinavia they have spread through Holland, Germany, Belgium and France, and look set to invade Britain too. Repeated on Sunday - believed to feature the breeding Eagle Owls in North Yorkshire.
VP 874351

Ann

Cheers, Ann. They have been reported/blamed for carrying Sheep and Cows off as prey around these parts. God knows what the farmers think!

John.

Thanks for the reminder.I have seen the programme now and I was very impressed.What a fabulous bird !!!!!

I did not understand all the fuss about whether they should be protected or not.They are here now and should be protected.

I am now going to search round the local quarries but as the only Owl I have seen is a Little Owl I am not confident.

Max.

Eagle Owls Tonight

What an interesting and provocative piece of wildlife journalism. Fantastic views of a truly spectacular bird.
John

I must agree what a wonderful bird the Eagle Owl is, it should be protected. What a thrill it would be to see them in the wild. Really enjoyed the filming especially of the male passing on the prey to the female. Rod.

Hi Folks,

For anyone who missed the Eagle Owls, or forgot to record it, it is to be repeated on Sunday.

I tape all programmes now as it is surprising how many things I miss the first time I watch it.

When I first saw your post Rod, I thought you may have missed it, glad you didn't.

Ann

hi folks,
a brilliant program, Me and my mate were involved in the filming. it was our bird that done the slow motion footage in the opening sequence, it was really interesting to speak to the camera man filming the yorkshire pair, it was facinating.
Only thing i didn't like was when they were saying that its quite alright to shoot them if anyone wanted to, i think that bit should have been left out, anyone dead against the birds being here now know they can get rid of them and not be prosecuted (except for trespassing :).

The Raptor said:
I must agree what a wonderful bird the Eagle Owl is, it should be protected. What a thrill it would be to see them in the wild. Really enjoyed the filming especially of the male passing on the prey to the female. Rod.

Not sure how thrilled you will be if the Rabbit population crashes and these undesirables start feeding on the local birds. And yes, they are quite capable of taking new born lambs and Buzzards, both in/on the nest and out of it.

These 'cuties' are voracious killers and don't belong here.

John.

john barclay said:
Not sure how thrilled you will be if the Rabbit population crashes and these undesirables start feeding on the local birds. And yes, they are quite capable of taking new born lambs and Buzzards, both in/on the nest and out of it.

These 'cuties' are voracious killers and don't belong here.

John.
That's about as sensible as saying let's get rid of lions from the Serengetti because they kill widlebeasts. Top predators are bound to take prey.... but they cannot take too much or they won't themselves survive. After all buzzards eat rabbits and golden eagles probably take lambs occasionally. If we got rid of all predators we'd be left with a world of herbivores.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
That's about as sensible as saying let's get rid of lions from the Serengetti because they kill widlebeasts. Top predators are bound to take prey.... but they cannot take too much or they won't themselves survive. After all buzzards eat rabbits and golden eagles probably take lambs occasionally. If we got rid of all predators we'd be left with a world of herbivores.
Ken

You miss my point; Lions belong in the vast expanses of the Serengetti. These Owls don't belong in these all ready crowded isles and before long they will be breeding like the rabbits they eat.

No doubt you think that to introduce Lions onto Salisbury Plain would be quite a good idea???

I'm not saying that all predators should be got rid of. I'm saying that large introduced/escaped voracious owls should be got rid of...Right now!

Mark my words: in a few years there will be hell to pay when these start breeding close to built up areas.

Remember how cute we all thought the Ruddy Duck was. Thankfully the authorities have seen the light.

John.

Surreybirder said:
I missed bits of the programme but thought it was excellent. Who was the Roy who did the commentary?
Ken

Roy Dennis is one of, if not the leading raptor expert in Scotland. Played a major part in the Ospreys recolonising in this country, the reintroduction of the Sea Eagle, reintroduction schemes with Red Kites etc. and lots more.

He was awarded the Golden Eagle Award from RSPB Scotland, the award was for the most significant contribution to nature conservation in Scotland over the last 100 years. This was chosen by the RSPB Scotland members, not a commitee.

I have been luckily enough to meet him once and he is 100% a true gentleman, but not only that, this man knows his stuff and if he thinks that these birds have come over here on their own steam, then I wouldn't argue.

You may have seen him in "The eagle has landed" its been on BBC2 a few times, it was about the Kites, Ospreys and Sea Eagles.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland/centenary/awards/goldeneagleaward.asp

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/AWOP/InterviewRD7-2003.htm

Thanks for the info, Kas.

John, I am not really in favour of introducing lions on Salisbury Plain... but I doubt they'd survive long if we did.

I think you may be mistaken in assuming that eagle owls will become 'ruddy ducks'. Top predators are normally thin on the ground. I have spent weeks in the area around Skye without seeing a single sea eagle; and even golden eagles are pretty hard to see. Big predators need big territories and do not normally drive prey species to extinction. I would not be in favour of deliberately introducing eagle owls; but if they arrive under their own steam I would protect them. The programme left me with the impression that eagle owls were once a natural part of our avifauna; and they are again arriving under their own steam.
I would be opposed if someone started introducing great horned owls from the US.
Ken

hi Kas,

RD does indeed 'think' they have come here under their own steam ... that may be good enough for a lot of people, but frankly he has no evidence apart from a glut of records which may or may not be EO's

London Birder said:
hi Kas,

RD does indeed 'think' they have come here under their own steam ... that may be good enough for a lot of people, but frankly he has no evidence apart from a glut of records which may or may not be EO's

As Andy would say "Yeah I know." I have admired Roy since I was a kid, and personally I wouldnt challenge him, is what I meant. I dont have enough knowledge on the subject to bore you all with my opinions.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back