Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Messy at the table

Old Tuesday 8th May 2018, 04:38   #1
Jaysan
BF Supporter 2018

Messy at the table

This year I have been rather regular with the sunflower seeds and have got a few regular visitors. Sparrows, gold finches, tits and greenfinches use the feeder. A robin pops by occasionally. Dunnocks and Ferel/wood pigeons feed on anything the birds drop.

When the small birds feed, the pigeons are busy running about picking the scraps. But when goldfinches are about, you can see pieces flying everywhere and it's mayhem below on the ground.

What other birds are messy feeders?

Regards, Jaysan.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th May 2018, 15:40   #2
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

Depends on what's in the feeder. If you have a mix of seeds, many birds will pull out huge volumes of mix to get to their particular favorites. I'm surprised the goldfinches are going for sunflower seeds - they much prefer thistle. Maybe they're looking for small fragments? Anyway, give them their own feeder with thistle seeds and they'll feast happily with minimal spills.

You didn't ask about mammals, but squirrels will deliberately crash into feeders to knock seeds to the ground. Bear and deer make messes at bird feeders too - they try to tip the seed onto their tongues but don't manage it very well.
Old Thursday 24th May 2018, 13:22   #3
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
My American Goldfinches have a choice of nyger or black oil sunflower seed and seem to spend more time eating the sunflower seeds. I can't comment on the behaviour of European Goldfinches.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: