• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (1 Viewer)

maddove

Here in Fairfield, CT, I have a great location, close to the Mill River, near Long Island Sound, therefore getting a good mix of sea/water birds and feeder birds. Not bad for a novice birder. Yesterday we saw a nice group of 11 Great Egrets.

Other common sightings include:
Mourning Dove
House Sparrow (nesting in the eaves)
American Goldfinch
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
Red-Winged Blackbird
Northern Cardinal
Dark-Eyed Junco
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
American Robin
Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee
American Crow
Blue Jay
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Belted Kingfisher
Pigeon
Wild Turkey
Great Cormorant
Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Mallard
Osprey

Attachments

• Egrets 001_edited.jpg
    Egrets 001_edited.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Hey maddove,

Plenty of nice birding where you are I quite often walk out on Penfield Reef at this time of year. The CAS Birdcraft Center in the center of town is also a great spot in migration.

Luke

I forgot to add that we have frequent sightings of Monk Parakeets here in lower Fairfield, plus some unidentified swallows skimming for insects along the river.

I took streatham's advice and visited the CT Audubon Society a number of times over the last week and besides quite a few catbirds, cardinals, chicakdees, red-bellied woodpeckers and others found some brand new birds to add to my sightings list: Black-and-white warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and American Redstart (probably - it was a brief sighting but did notice an all-black head and body with a white breast and a red-orange patch on its flanks.)

Thanks streatham.

I was walking around the house this morning when I heard an unfamiliar trill in my backyard. I was rewarded with a pair of Carolina Wrens singing and responding in a tree right outside my window. Since I hadn't seen any in my yard before, the distinct curved bill, white eye stripe and throat, and song sealed the ID. Very nice sighting this far north for them this late in the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back