• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying a moth (1 Viewer)

cottagepound

Hello,
Just joined your site. Very impressed.
Wonder if anyone can identify the attached picture?
We live in North Shropshire, and this moth flew into our house last night. Took some photos this morning before it left via an open door.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• P1060463.jpg
    P1060463.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 16
Hola Cottagepound!

A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Staff and Mods :t:

I´m sure someone will help you to ID this beautiful moth.

The reference books say they are but in 30 years of looking I've only glimpsed one once, so never got a beautiful picture like yours.
Rose

The reference books say they are but in 30 years of looking I've only glimpsed one once, so never got a beautiful picture like yours.
Rose

The most commonly caught Hawk Moth in a great many places, including here in Russia.

When trapping in Nottingham, it's probably on a par numbers wise with Poplar Hawk Moth.

A

Moths have very particular life cycles so can peak and trough depending on the timing of weather conditions and Elephant Hawkmoth is having a peak year. Seven in my trap this morning which is the highest number that I have ever encountered in one night. It is surprising how common species can be but not seen unless you run a garden moth trap.

All the best

I just watch my window at night, food plants such as buddleia, and fences by day. Have recorded nearly 350 species this way, but no doubt would be many more with a trap.
Rose

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back