• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser spotted woodpecker...... at last! (1 Viewer)

Jay23

Im spending a few days in the Ardeche and this morning, my first excursion, in the woodland along the Chassezac valley, not one but two, indeed, a pair of the little beauties on a dead poplar. A long term blocker finally nailed!!!
What else? Cettis and Subalpine Warblers, Black Kites, a veritable myriad of Nightingales, Peregrins, Short toed Treecreeper plus all the usual suspects. A fabulous start to my five day birding break. Even more tantalising is the fact that I heard at least four bird calls that are completely unfamiliar to me, so its back there at dawn tomorrow....
Hoping for crested Tit and Nutcracker, wish me luck...

Chris

Hi Chris

Well done on the LS (you know you can have those in Sussex of course if you look hard enough ;);))

Good luck with the Cresties and Nutcrackers (I was well chuffed with my first Nutcrackers, lovely birds)

A correction

Firstly a correction: The Subalpine Warblers are, ahem, Dartfords.
Been out in the woods all morning trying to get q photo of the LS. I spent two whole hours at the dead poplar I saw them at yesterday and after seeing nothing but GS began to doubt myself. Whilst waiting I saw Golden Orioles and loads of Blackcaps, got a decent glimpse of a Cettis and a last, after loosing heart a solitary LS arrived and allayed my fears, a totally different animal altogether. I know they are in Sussex, but now I know why I have yet to see one, they do tend to sit up tight against a branch and not move, making them pretty damn difficult to spot. Id dearly love a photo but dont know if my patience is good enough!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back