• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzards: up close and personal. (1 Viewer)

Bubbs

Honey Buzzards: Up close and personal. www.birdingisrael.com

Stunning close up photographs of Honey Buzzards.

Right click the blank screen and click play.

Please feel free to post your comments; they would be very welcome.

John Barclay.

Last edited:
stunning is certainly the word John

a flock of Honeys is one of the great birding sights......but I've never seen them in such numbers as pass thru Israel. Must be awesome - I should get round to visiting some time....

Tim Allwood said:
stunning is certainly the word John

Tim,

I will never foget the 7th May, 1985, when almost 228,000 passed thru.

I will never forget 2001 either. The winds were from the south for many days and only a few thousand passed whilst I was there... although the radar at Ben Gurion Airport told a different story. Their were tens of thousands passing close to Tel Aviv for days on end. Where was I? Sat on top of Mount Yoash watching empty skies and thinking about the good times and envious of those counting posts near to Tel Aviv!

John Barclay.

Israel is a beautiful country and as long as you keep away from the troubled 'hot spots' you will be fine.

First light in the mountains close to Eilat is breathtaking. The calls and mimickry of the White-crowned Black Wheatear ('the Hill Myna of the desert') ring through the valley's as you walk thru... waiting for the raptors, storks, etc, to lift off or fly over from their roosts in nearby Egypt searching for favourable thermals to take them north.

When the raptor passage has shifted or stopped then is the time to search the melon fields, reservoirs, date palm plantations, sewage works, or visit the ringing station. There is always something 'happening' in and around the skies of Eilat.

One thing that I can guarantee about Eilat and it's surrounding is that you will never have a dull moment. Then there is northern Israel and the fantastic Hula Reserve with close by Ramot Naftali where great bed and breakfasts are easy to come by. Breakfast on the verhanda watching Lesser- spotted Eagles and White Storks drifting north....roll on spring 2005.

John Barclay.

Last edited:
An amazing set of images. It's startling just how different & obvious these close-up HBs are in comparison to Common Buzzard, yet the poor & distant views we get in the UK give the impression that these birds are very similar.

Steve G said:
An amazing set of images. It's startling just how different & obvious these close-up HBs are in comparison to Common Buzzard, yet the poor & distant views we get in the UK give the impression that these birds are very similar.

From mid April onwards there are thousands of 'Honeys' passing thru the mountains of Eilat..given a north wind that is.

From the begining of May the place is covered in them, and these days there are increasing numbers of Crested Honey Buzzards coming thru with them. The last time I was there, 5th May, 125,000 birds flew past and I was watching this spectacle alone. The scope was useless as the stream upon stream were just too close.

Not only were there HB's but still lots of Steppe Buzzards, Black Kites, the odd Lesser-spotted Eagle, very late Steppe Eagles and lots of Black Storks, Egyptian Vultures, and Bee-eaters.

Many birders think that by early May the main raptor passage is over; strictly speaking they are correct, but every day brings new birding surprises, both in the mountains and around Eilat itself.

John Barclay.

Awesome is but an understatement. I travel a lot but I am always back for the spring migration in the Arava valley and Eilat.
Jonathan

I have had the pleasure of raptor watching from the top of Mount Joash in Eilat Israel. Unfortunately I didn't see honey buzzard as it was a week early, but the spectacle of thousands of Eagles Buzzards Kites hawks and harriers passing over our heads from 10.00 am to 3.00 pm was something etched in my memory forever A wonderful experience and worth the trip to this fantastic migration hot spot alone.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back