• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Woodpecker Spotted (1 Viewer)

WHITE WOODPECKER SPOTTED

We have just built a new validated HTML5 bird website with one of the rarest birds ever to be seen in Scotland a White Woodpecker have a look for yourselves and please let us know what you think?

It has been photographed many times this year on this feeder in Northeast Scotland.

See White Woodpecker here!

Hi there,
Your bird is a great spotted woodpecker with pigment aberrations - they are common birds throughout the UK in their normal form - it is not one of the rarest birds ever to be seen in Scotland. The White Woodpecker, Melanerpes candidus, is a species of woodpecker found in South America and does not look like your woodpecker.
Still an interesting sighting

Stunning pictures of this rare colour form (leucistic, rather than albanism - hence the eye/leg colour and red vent) of a familiar species, well done indeed!

I saw once a leucistic Green Woodpecker. That was cool too. However, never a white Greater Spotted...

André

I've only seen a partially leucsictic Great spott.

I think that having extra white is less of a survival handicap for black and white birds e.g.Oystercatcher

Thank you to those who gave their opinions on the Woodpecker - I do know I have been a keen follower of anything to do with our feathered friends for over 50 years and this is not only the first time I have photographed a white Woodpecker but actually seen one.
The person who mentioned it will be a hawk magnet is probably correct and it seems to show in the actual Woodpecker as it seems to be like greased lightening with anything from a tiny shake of the curtains to a branch being blown in the wind - even with my video camera being set up it still sees it and is gone.
The Woodpecker itself is beautiful both visually and in flight but I too believe it will be a target for all the predators.
I'm lucky enough to have Woodpeckers daily so hopefully the white Woodpecker will have bred this year and the offspring may have some characteristics of their parent. I used to breed poultry so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the gene pool.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back