• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large, dark, large-billed salt-water diving duck, Norway (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Was photographing long-tailed ducks in the harbor here in Trondheim when I saw a dark, biggish, large-billed diving duck out beyond the seawall. Not an eider - wrong head and bill shape. Way out of lens range even with the TC on my 80-400. These two shots are heavily cropped and show pretty much only the silhouette plus two light or white patches - one near the eye and one either on or behind the wing tip. I'm wondering ... could this be velvet scoter/European white-winged scoter, possibly a female? It would be a first for me, which would be cool even with these lousy shots, but precisely for that reason I'm afraid of ticking the bird on my list without checking. I might be seeing what I want to see rather than what's there.

Attachments

• sjøorre question 1.jpg
    sjøorre question 1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 194
  • sjøorre question 2.jpg
    sjøorre question 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back