• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyecups for Nikon 8x30 8.3 WF (1 Viewer)

ncbirdgirl99

Hi everyone, New member here. I am searching for replacement eyecups for my 8x30 8.3 WF binoculars. Any ideas where I can look? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, New member here. I am searching for replacement eyecups for my 8x30 8.3 WF binoculars. Any ideas where I can look? Thanks in advance!

Hi ncbirdgirl99,:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Is this your binocular?

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon8x30E.htm

I don't know this for sure but it looks like the current Nikon 8x30 E2 eye cups should fit it.

I expect someone who knows will chime in here shortly with the answer.

The 8x30 E2 is still sold in Japan but not in the USA.

Some owners of E2s here posted recently that they were able to get eye cups for it from Nikon USA.

Bob

Hi ncbirdgirl99,:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Is this your binocular?

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon8x30E.htm

I don't know this for sure but it looks like the current Nikon 8x30 E2 eye cups should fit it.

I expect someone who knows will chime in here shortly with the answer.

The 8x30 E2 is still sold in Japan but not in the USA.

Some owners of E2s here posted recently that they were able to get eye cups for it from Nikon USA.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes. This is what I have. Thank you for your reply. Happy 4th of July to you!

ncbirdgirl

The eyecup for the 8x30 E is smaller than the one for the 8x30 EII. If Nikon can't or won't supply it I've found a workable alternative is the rubber eyecup for the Televue 19mm Panoptic eyepiece. I ordered a pair from Televue by phone. It's a perfect stretch fit for the E series 8x30 and 10x35 eyepieces, but it's a little shorter and softer than the original.

Henry

Peter,

E and EII eyecups are not even close to the same size. Believe me, I have several old E models and the two EIIs on hand. I bought extra eyecups for all of them back when Nikon was more reasonable about supplying them.

Henry

Peter,

E and EII eyecups are not even close to the same size. Believe me, I have several old E models and the two EIIs on hand. I bought extra eyecups for all of them back when Nikon was more reasonable about supplying them.

Henry

Hi Henry,

I would like to try to 3d print some unavailable rubber eyecups with some flexible filament - if you could take measurements of your spare E series eyecups, I'll make a model and try to print it - and since I don't own E's I'll send them to the o.p...

I can measure the SE and E2 eyecups from my own samples.

If this works out I'll put those on thingyverse so everybody can get these printed his favourite 3d printing shop.

Joachim

Hi Henry,

I would like to try to 3d print some unavailable rubber eyecups with some flexible filament - if you could take measurements of your spare E series eyecups, I'll make a model and try to print it - and since I don't own E's I'll send them to the o.p...

I can measure the SE and E2 eyecups from my own samples.

If this works out I'll put those on thingyverse so everybody can get these printed his favourite 3d printing shop.

Joachim

Sorry for the late reply, Joachim. I just noticed your post.

Here are the measurements for the 8x30 E eyecup:

total length - 14mm
outside diameter - 37mm
inside diameter - 33.5mm
opening for eyelens - 20.5mm

The distance from the bottom of the eyecup to the shelf that covers the top of the eyepiece housing appears to be about the same as on the EII eyecup. The interior retaining groove just below that shelf also appears to be the same in both. The retaining ring on the eyepiece housing that surrounds the eyelens is narrower on the E than the EII and that is mirrored in the interior structure of the eyecup, but I think that can be safely ignored. There is also a bevel on the top of the E eyepiece housing which is mirrored in the interior of its eyecup, but i think that can also be ignored. An EII eyecup reduced to the above dimensions should do it.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Henry,

thanks a lot for the measurements of the E series eyecups. For reference here's the data for mine:

E2 8x30 - labelled AA0:
total length - 15mm
distance from bottom to eyelens opening: 5.5mm
distance from eyelens opening to top: 8.5mm
outside diameter - 42mm
inside diameter - 38.5mm
opening for eyelens - 23mm

SE 10x42 - labelled HGP:
total length - 19mm
distance from bottom to eyelens opening: 5.5mm
distance from eyelens opening to top: 11.5mm
outside diameter - 42mm
inside diameter - 38.5mm
opening for eyelens - 23mm

Both have a 2mm high notch for grip on the EP just below the eyelens opening and a 30mm wide and 1mm indentation around it. The upper walls are really thin (maybe 1mm) from the eyelens opening up to the upper end which looks line an o-ring with a 2.25mm thread gauge.

I'll have to see when I get to make models and try to print this in filaflex.. some of the guys from my astro club have heard about the printer and thus I am kinda busy with more copies of sun filters and bahtinov masks...

Joachim

I have been trying, to no avail, to have Nikon USA give me information on how to buy E II eye cups and a rain guard. My eye ups, which I use rolled down, are beginning to rot along the outer edge, and I lost my rain guard (I use the one for my SEs). Repeatedly I have been told I need to send in my binoculars for replacements and a new rain guard. No options. The rep mentioned obtaining them from “the parts department,” but when asked how to do so, and what the part numbers were, he defaulted to requiring the binocular be sent in. I may try their 1-800 number and never mention the words service or repair and see if I can get some part numbers and a way to order them. If I succeed, I will report back.

David

I have been trying, to no avail, to have Nikon USA give me information on how to buy E II eye cups and a rain guard. My eye ups, which I use rolled down, are beginning to rot along the outer edge, and I lost my rain guard (I use the one for my SEs). Repeatedly I have been told I need to send in my binoculars for replacements and a new rain guard. No options. The rep mentioned obtaining them from “the parts department,” but when asked how to do so, and what the part numbers were, he defaulted to requiring the binocular be sent in. I may try their 1-800 number and never mention the words service or repair and see if I can get some part numbers and a way to order them. If I succeed, I will report back.

David

Sorry to report no luck on getting eye cups.

Sorry to report no luck on getting eye cups.

David

I found a receipt from Nikon when I ordered eye cups for my 8x30 E2 ten years ago in 2008.

It gives a Material # P6862 for Material Description EYECUP (8x30E2)

I can't guarantee that is the correct part # because it was in the Material # column. However my receipt also notes a Back Order for 10x35 P6865.

Give it a try.

Bob

About a month out of date now but I thought I'd post a quick reply of an info snippet about the Nikon rubber eyecups parts number, though I expect Henry and Joachim are aware of the info anyway.

Eight years ago, in abject panic, I did the cart before the horse job....I bought two pairs, new from Nikon UK, of the rubber eyecups that fit the Nikon Ell(E2) porro binocs in the fantasy that one day I would be able to afford to own a pair of the 8x30 or 10x35. I'm a specs wearer, so on all of my older binocs with fold-down rubber eyecups I knew one day I'd need replacement eyecups when the rubber perished from folding them down, usual story. Well...I'm still not a lucky owner of any E2 bins.....Etoo expensive in the UK.

Anyway, I still have the eyecups sorrowfully a-waiting to dock home, but just in case you did not know their original part number, it was BXA30360 if you fancy a fruitless google search which usually yields the parts numbers of other obscure Nikon gear...and yes, Henry, the E and E2 do have a different eyecup size.

Good luck,

Steve

About a month out of date now but I thought I'd post a quick reply of an info snippet about the Nikon rubber eyecups parts number, though I expect Henry and Joachim are aware of the info anyway.

Eight years ago, in abject panic, I did the cart before the horse job....I bought two pairs, new from Nikon UK, of the rubber eyecups that fit the Nikon Ell(E2) porro binocs in the fantasy that one day I would be able to afford to own a pair of the 8x30 or 10x35. I'm a specs wearer, so on all of my older binocs with fold-down rubber eyecups I knew one day I'd need replacement eyecups when the rubber perished from folding them down, usual story. Well...I'm still not a lucky owner of any E2 bins.....Etoo expensive in the UK.

Anyway, I still have the eyecups sorrowfully a-waiting to dock home, but just in case you did not know their original part number, it was BXA30360 if you fancy a fruitless google search which usually yields the parts numbers of other obscure Nikon gear...and yes, Henry, the E and E2 do have a different eyecup size.

Good luck,

Steve

Steve,

By any chance do you have your receipt for the eye cups above and does it have this "material #" on it---P6862?

Bob

Posting way down the road but I stumbled on this thread while trying to source eyecups for an 8x30 EII recently. thought I'd drop this info here for the next guy/gal. Using Crake's part number from his post above, BXA30360, I found them on Ebay out of Japan for $9.99 each. (... and $20 shipping of course). But they were there and in stock. I ordered a set to have on hand as spares. I keep the eyecups rolled down and figure they'll die eventually. FWIW... I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on everything rubber, including eyecups, and it seems to keep rubber in very good condition.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back