• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Peregrine up close and personal (1 Viewer)

westi

Hi,

Spent the day at Arne reserve and later at Studland. Nothing much exiting at Arne, as I managed to miss the Dartford Warbler that everyone else seemd to have seen!!

However, life has its compensations. At Studland I had my first real sighting of Peregrines in the wild. I spent a good half an hour watching a pair harassing the sea birds. I was amazed to see one of them, on several occassions, fly right to three cormorants on a ledge (near The Pinnacles). I would have thought that a cormorant was too big for a peregrine, but they did seem to be trying hard. Maybe they were just having some fun with the locals.

One of the birds even co-operated for a photo call.

Weather was wonderful too. It's just great to be alive.

BR Ian

Attachments

• peregrine_ballard_down.jpg
    peregrine_ballard_down.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 189
That is a great photo. I would be thrilled to see a Peregrine. It looks like you had quite a view.

But then again I have never seen Orang Utang in the wild, and you live on a rather nice boat cruising around exotic places.

One day I may do both. (All invitations considered :'D )

BR Ian

Hey!
That's an amazing picture! May I ask what your camera is? Did you digiscope it?

It's always wonderful to see something new, especially something graceful as a Peregrine! I wish you Orang Utans and many things more!

smiles
sam

Hi Sam,

One of life's little coincidences.....
I was looking at a couple of your posts only a couple of days ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"First day of spring, and the first day of the Persian New Year,
I wish everybody an exciting and successful year, full of joy and new knowledge!"
--------------------------------------------------------------

Photo of the peregrine was taken with a Canon 20D with a Tamron 200/500 plus x2 multiplier on the front. This meant I was restricted to manual focus, but was able to prop the camera on my rucksack to avoid shake too much. (It is darned windy on the cliff tops.) I actually took rather a lot because I knew not all would be in focus. This shot amused me because he is obviously bird-watching too, but I have some other nice ones of him looking directly at me.

BR Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back