• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 82mm object lens scope (1 Viewer)

dogfish said:
The MC11 strikes me as basically the same... A very good eyepiece, but just not quite in the same class as Swav or Zeiss...

The size of the zoom doesn't worry me if the overall package is light...
I use a Swaro and a Nikon all the time and, well, all I can say is I do not accept your comments regarding the Nikon zoom. In fact, I think you are objectively wrong. Certainly the new eyepiece is significantly different from the MCI on many techical and practical parameters. Attached to an ED82 and I think it compares favourably with the Swaro and beats the Leica.

Size and weight? Well, the Swaro zoom is well over a quarter of a pound heavier than the Nikon, never mind about its bulk: add that to the body weights and it does make a difference - a five ounce heavier bino would soon raisecomment.

Also, no other zoom from a top manufacturer offers a sometimes very useful magnification of 75x, and although the Nikon natuarally enough darkens above 60x, it is still a pin sharp image that, given good light or more time for the eyes to adjust, still provides a fine view. Here is a shot of a, rather boring, gull, with the Nikon at 75X:

Attachments

• gull1.jpg
    gull1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
Current prices from our BF Sponsor!

ED78 with x30MC £649 1435g
ED82 with x30MC £939 1575g (new reduced price)
Swarovski ATS80HD with x30 £1330 1280g
Zeiss Diascope 85 with x30 £1080 1450g

If you think about it you can get an ED78 & a pair of Nikon HG8x32 for less than the Swaro. Now I'm no rocket scientist but I know what stikes me as the better deal......

I hadn't even heard of Warehous Express until I joined BF, Pete, more's the pity - although Park Cameras have just sold my brother a pair of HGs at £250 less than WE.

Mind you - they currently have the Kowa 613 Prominar with 30x or zoom at £499-00 - that's another bargain.

dogfish said:
No, Nikon is heavier than the Zeiss (Leica wasn't in my test). The Nikon 82 is variously cited as either 1610g or 1670g. The Swav is 1350g and the Zeiss 1450g.

Here are the approximate weights for an angled scope + fixed eyepiece:

Swaro 80 HD + 30xw = 1580g
Nikon 80 ED + 30xw = 1815g
Zeiss 85 + 30xw = 1680g
Leica APO 77 + 32xw = 1980g

So the Nikon weighs 235g more than the Swaro 80 HD: that's half a pound of cheese to you and me. The Zeiss is mid-way between them. The Leica is the real porker, a full fat 400g more than the Swaro, and 165g more than the Nikon. So yes, the Swaro is lighter, and the committed birder who walks a lot might well consider that weight saving and any other plus points worth the extra cost.

The Nikon makes up for the scopes weight by having lighter eyepieces. If you carry several eye pieces, then the Nikon is almost as light as the Swaro!!!

However, when I picked up the Nikon, it did not feel heavy. Probably in part because it was on a light weight tripod, rather than my hefty Uniloc with Slik 800 ball head. I am used to carrying the Uniloc and a full camera bag.

I don't know the weights of the SOCs: you would think manufacturers would quote that.

scampo said:
Also, no other zoom from a top manufacturer offers a sometimes very useful magnification of 75x, and although the Nikon natuarally enough darkens above 60x, it is still a pin sharp image that, given good light or more time for the eyes to adjust, still provides a fine view. Here is a shot of a, rather boring, gull, with the Nikon at 75X:

I was impressed, especially at high powers on a dull overcast day. Very useable. Have you turned the beast on the stars? (Those things that appear when once a century the clouds clear.) You will be able to see bands on Jupitor, and the rings of Saturn. Nebulosity should be nice too!

BTW Your picture has some CA visible: is that from the scope or the lens? In this situation I suspect all scopes woud show some CA. During my tests today - viewing gulls and ducks on a lake - the Nikon showed a bit less CA than the Swaro, though it was very close, and the Opticron ES 80 showed shed loads. CA in the Nikon and Swaro was quite acceptable: very good in fact. I am wondering how the Leica performs in this respect.

I can't say - the camera was an old Nikon CP900, so that wouldn't help. The light was awful really and I had to use PSE2 to lighten the image a good deal as I remember as it was so back-lit.

Your tests semed pretty carefully carried out. Did you look through the Zeiss 85T* at all? Oh - and did you use a Nikon 30xW - it's a beauty of a lens (mind you, a friend has the 38x and looking over a local reservoir at dusk, well - it was a very bright and clear view of the distant gulls.

Last edited:
Had the chance the other day (in very overcast conditions) to compare the Swarovski ATS80HD with zoom and my Swaro with 30x eyepiece side by side,.the zoom at 30x just could not compare,less bright and f. o.v. was about 20-25%less at 20x simular brightness and f.o.v. at 40x slightly larger image but less detail and 50x and 60x the image was rather dark.So after considering also getting the zoom i dont think i bother.

The new Swarovski 30 wide is certainly a stunning eyepiece. Maybe the 45 wide would be a good alternative to the zoom? I haven't tried it but a couple of reports suggest it's a good one.

I have taken yet another look at the Nikon 82 with its zoom and I have compared it to my Kowa 824 which is now 7 years old with its 20-60 zoom. Although the Kowa is still a very good scope I noted that the Nikon at its minimum zoom of 25x was much brighter than the 20x bottom end of the Kowa zoom. The Nikon was in fact superb and the test was deliberately done on a VERY dull day. I had the two scopes almost racked together so as to quickly be able to move my eye from one eyepiece to the other. At 75x the Nikon is fantastic and pin sharp across the whole view and this was when looking through the glass of a window. When outside, well unbelievable but I still have a problem with the Nikon 82 and with other similar priced scopes, I can't afford it so it will be back to the trusty old Kowa which is a bit good in its own right.

Ragna said:
Had the chance the other day (in very overcast conditions) to compare the Swarovski ATS80HD with zoom and my Swaro with 30x eyepiece side by side,.the zoom at 30x just could not compare,less bright and f. o.v. was about 20-25%less at 20x simular brightness and f.o.v. at 40x slightly larger image but less detail and 50x and 60x the image was rather dark.So after considering also getting the zoom i dont think i bother.
I couldn't agree more - but I find the zoom does have its uses, Graham. Once you've used a fixed wide it's difficult to accept the narrow field of a zoom - of whichever make, even though they have dramatically improved in recent times.

Colin said:
I have taken yet another look at the Nikon 82 with its zoom and I have compared it to my Kowa 824 which is now 7 years old with its 20-60 zoom. Although the Kowa is still a very good scope I noted that the Nikon at its minimum zoom of 25x was much brighter than the 20x bottom end of the Kowa zoom. The Nikon was in fact superb and the test was deliberately done on a VERY dull day. I had the two scopes almost racked together so as to quickly be able to move my eye from one eyepiece to the other. At 75x the Nikon is fantastic and pin sharp across the whole view and this was when looking through the glass of a window. When outside, well unbelievable but I still have a problem with the Nikon 82 and with other similar priced scopes, I can't afford it so it will be back to the trusty old Kowa which is a bit good in its own right.
I think the price is falling - at WExpress you can pick one up for £930, I think. Still a lot of money, though - but it should last a very long time. I bought my kit as a kind of "gift" from my late dad - I thought it would last and remind me of him! Otherwise, there is no way I could justify the cost - although lots of folk do.

I looked through a new Kowa a few months back and it was very good - and used by a top local birder, too; but it was neither as bright or sharp across the whole field as the Nikon. Not a bad scope by any means though.

Colin Ive had 2 Kowa scopes over the last 16 years and found them to be excellent value for money.Steve iam sure your correct about zoom eyepiece, its so long since i've had a zoom eyepiece iam sure they have improved considerably (the only one a Kowa TSN1 20-60x not best).But i have got used to the 30x and think the Swarovski 30x amazing.

seriously folks look thru the ED78 - no difference at all for me to the big three scopes. It takes same eyepieces as new Nikon and probably has virtually identical coatings etc....
there's no kudos to be lost in buying 'old' kit

Forgot about that, Tim - That's the one to go for while those dwindling stocks last. Top marque at a low price with full warranty. My brother's in the market for a new scope - I'll let him into the secret.

Leif said:
...the Nikon showed a bit less CA than the Swaro, though it was very close, and the Opticron ES 80 showed shed loads. CA in the Nikon and Swaro was quite acceptable: very good in fact. I am wondering how the Leica performs in this respect.

I think this is where Leica (APO) and probably Zeiss (FL, superachromat) have an advantage. If you have a chance to compare, it would be nice to hear your impressions. I have compared Kowa 823 and Leica side by side and Leica was noticeably better in this respect.

Ilkka

The ED78 is a fine scope but newcomers to this forum should perhaps be reminded that it isn't waterproof. I've no idea how water-resistant it is, but I think I read somewhere about Nikon adding 0-ring seals, which would make it rather better in this respect than the notoriously leaky ED1 and 11 fieldscopes. It's a great shame Nikon were so slow to see the importance of waterproofing for European birders. Still, they've caught up now

That's true - but it was water resistant, I think. I'm not sure how much it matters as my current scope is the first waterproof I have owned and no previous scope has ever misted up - whereas I have had bins mist up. Don't know why that is.

I think we are all getting carried away by waterproof scopes.If the scopes not water proof buy a case.Most dealers include one free if buying a scope and eyepiece.

It's the possibility of internal fogging, I suppose, Graham. But I find much more annoying the external fogging of the eyepieces when looking on a cold day - and no one has come up with a cure for that (or does your lens pen work, maybe - if it is silicone, that is supposed to prevent fogging - although it's not usually used on optical lenses?).

I notice Bausch and Lomb offer, at extra cost, a feature that is supposed to minimise the effect of rain on the lenses of the Elite bins. Think it might be called Rainguard. I wonder if this might help with fogging too? Perhaps some of our contributors have experience of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back