Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 07:39   #176
Chris Sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Others have mentioned re other titles, LYNX's 'stretching' (to the absolute limit) of material which already exists. Basically they're taking existing plates and text and just replicating them across several titles so they'll hope to sell at least two titles here, that we're aware of, rather than one.
A
Hi Andy

Have you looked at the guides? Whilst many of the original plates are being used, a lot of new illustrations have been / are being commissioned. The text is new and purpose written. HBW text was oriented more towards use at home or in a museum, which is appropriate for a handbook. You will find that Lynx and BirdLife International Field Guides text is written for field use. Yes, of course there will be some degree of duplication between countries with very similar avifaunas, as there is with other field guides series. However, both text and plates will reflect specific national identification challenges, racial variation, vocal variation, etc. New range maps and distributional revision are another key strength.

Best wishes, Chris
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 13:04   #177
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sharpe View Post
Hi Andy

Have you looked at the guides? Whilst many of the original plates are being used, a lot of new illustrations have been / are being commissioned. The text is new and purpose written. HBW text was oriented more towards use at home or in a museum, which is appropriate for a handbook. You will find that Lynx and BirdLife International Field Guides text is written for field use. Yes, of course there will be some degree of duplication between countries with very similar avifaunas, as there is with other field guides series. However, both text and plates will reflect specific national identification challenges, racial variation, vocal variation, etc. New range maps and distributional revision are another key strength.

Best wishes, Chris
Hi Chris,
haven't actually seen it yet as I'm in Russia but I have had it delivered and it's waiting for me in Nottingham.

Thanks for your input.

How is it over there, I recently wrote to Cecilia Herrera to enquire if she's ok but have had no reply. I was contemplating a trip to the Venezuelan Andes and parts we didn't do last time but seems a no go right now?
Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 19:19   #178
Chris Sharpe

Hi Andy

Reviews of the Thailand guide have been positive. See what you think.

Venezuela is tough, a deepening humanitarian crisis. I ran into Ceci in Bello Monte in March and she was fine. I'll let her know you're trying to contact her, though she has not replied to my last email. Internet is becoming a scarce luxury.

Have a good trip! Chris
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Thursday 27th September 2018, 08:41   #179
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sharpe View Post
Hi Andy

Reviews of the Thailand guide have been positive. See what you think.

Venezuela is tough, a deepening humanitarian crisis. I ran into Ceci in Bello Monte in March and she was fine. I'll let her know you're trying to contact her, though she has not replied to my last email. Internet is becoming a scarce luxury.

Have a good trip! Chris
Good to know Chris, hope things start to normalise soon, stay safe,
Old Friday 5th October 2018, 14:42   #180
Telephoto Paul

This English monograph on the Stellar's Sea Eagle taken from Russian literature looks interesting. Seeing them in Hokkaido during the winter is high up on my bucket list.
https://www.nhbs.com/stellers-sea-eagle-book
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 16:16   #181
Melanie

Snake guru Mark O'Shea has just pusblished a richly illustrated book on the 600 snake species of the World

The Book of Snakes: A Life-Size Guide to Six Hundred Species from around the World

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Snakes-L.../dp/022645939X
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: