• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland in early April (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Hi all,
My family and I have developed a bit of a thing about Iceland. We've been three times so far but only around Christmas. This year we are going to go for a week on 7th April. Could anyone (Edward?) give us some ideas about where to go at that time. Will any seabirds be in the colonies by then? We would like to venture further away from Reykjavik this time so any advice gladly received. What would be a nice little town to base ourselves in? Will there still be a chance of aurora? Will there be wildflowers or is it too early?
Many thanks
Sean

Last edited:
Me too

So I'm not the only mad one heading out there in early April? Good to know. I hope to break my trip from Lesvos back to Vancouver but I'm jealous as I will only get one day in Reykjavik. Sorry I can't help, but will be watching the replies (I hope).

Hi Sean

Firstly, to your last questions, yes, there is a chance of the aurora, one of the best displays I've ever seen was in mid-April one year. And April is too early for flowers.
Going beyond Reykjavík is a good idea, the further you go, the fewer people you will see.
Areas you could base yourself (by no means an exhaustive list):

A) Snæfellsnes peninsula in a village like Grundarfjörður, which enjoys a very spectacular setting, has whalewatching (Láki Tours), and is just generally a very pleasant area of mountains, dramatic coastlines and very wild beaches. There are bird cliffs at the end of the peninsula holding all Iceland’s breeding auks and there will be some birds present but their presence there so early in the season changes from day to day depending on the weather – they sometimes sit up in the cliffs in nice calm weather and then disappear completely in bad weather. Plenty of winter birds around still, Harlequins guaranteed (famous last words), King Eider well possible. 2-3 hours’ drive from Reykjavík.

B) Húsavík - the whalewatching capital of Iceland (although things down really start hotting up until the later in the spring. Great views over the bay to the mountains. Close to Mývatn and other natural wonders such as the canyon at Ásbyrgi and the waterfall Dettifoss (although this is subject to the road conditions a lot). Harlequins and Barrow’s Goldeneye a certainty (at Mývatn) and Gyr Falcon likely. Not much happening on the spring migration front at this time. 5-6 hours’ drive from Reykjavík.

C) Vík í Mýrdal – Iceland’s most southerly village. A bit of a one horse town (in common with most Icelandic villages to be fair) but I have a soft spot for Vík and (again) enjoys a great location. Good as a base for exploring the Eyjafjöll mountains (and waterfalls) to the west and then Skaftafell National Park and the Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon which are two hours further east. Least birdy place of them all but there is a massive Puffin colony by the village which should be attracting its first birds and there will be wildfowl migration underway in this area. Harlequins on the sea nearby almost certainly. 2-3 hours' drive from Reykjavík.

D) Djúpivogur - A bit of a wildcard as it’s the area I know the least but it’s also one of my favourite areas scenically and it's the furthest from Reykjavík. Fabulous wild coastline in all directions but remote (even though it's on the main ring road) - which may be one of its attractions. Nice wetlands in the village itself and its location means that it is among the first place to get migrants. I've seen strange bedfellows such as Great White Egret and Greenland Gyr Falcon at the same time in the first week of April in this area. 6+ hours’ drive from Reykjavík.

At the risk of provoking the ire of local tourist organisations in Iceland, I wouldn't recommend staying the SW peninsula around Keflavík Airport – this area is usually excellent for birding but is best done on day trips from Reykjavík - the scenery is nothing special and as for the towns...well.

Thanks Edward. We have been to Vik and we quite fancy the North this time, seeing Myvatn etc. We might stay in Akureyri as a base so we have some things to do in the evening and do day trips from there. Good to know that the aurora is possible...
Best wishes
Sean

Akureyri will make a nice base for a family trip, it's about an hour each to Húsavík and Mývatn, and it's also good for visiting picturesque villages like Siglufjörður. You could even go skiing in Akureyri in April if you fancy. It's a long way from any bird cliffs though.
The big uncertainty is the weather, you just never know what you might get. Always a good idea to keep your eye on this website before long car journeys http://www.road.is/
This is a good website for birding in NE Iceland http://www.birdingtrail.is/
and eBird is the best resource for plotting when and where to see certain species, especially around Húsavík which has some very active eBird users and hence lots of current data.

Thanks for the reply Edward. Where would the closest seabird cliffs to Akureyri be?
Best wishes
Sean

Excluding Puffins, then the nearest auk colonies are probably at Rauðinúpur at the northern edge of Melrakkaslétta, at least 200 km from Akureyri. It's a great site later in the spring, never been in April though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back