• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE vs. Nikon Venturer 8x32 LX - Please advise - Newbie (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
Don't know how HGs will hold up long term in such a humid place.....should be fine.......

I kept my Zeiss dialyts 7 x 42s in a relatively cool cupboard in Jakarta, Indonesia, sometimes in a bag with Silica Gel if it was particularly humid and suffered no problems.

You should be okay with the Nikons I hope
But the HGs are guaranteed for donkey's years as watertight, Tim.

mpedris said:
Thanks a lot, people, for the valuable feedback.

I understand what most of you say about weather-proofing and the Sri Lankan climate. I, too, am a bit concerned about this. But my point is, at this price point, I'd rather settle for the best optics and be a little extra careful about storage conditions, rather than to settle for a little less optical quality but complete weather-proofness.

What do ya'll say?

Owners of Nikon SE told me that SE seal was good. It can take light rain, but definitively not submersion in water. Nikon must take into consideration while designed the SE that their binoculars are used in very wide climate around the world. I wouldn't worry about very humid weather. I own the 10x42 SE, it is fantastic, I wouldn't buy a bino just for waterproof only

dean tran said:
Owners of Nikon SE told me that SE seal was good. It can take light rain, but definitively not submersion in water. Nikon must take into consideration while designed the SE that their binoculars are used in very wide climate around the world. I wouldn't worry about very humid weather. I own the 10x42 SE, it is fantastic, I wouldn't buy a bino just for waterproof only

Dean-gotta agree with that-go for the optics and be a little careful when you're using them. After all, porros have been around for a lot longer than roofs, and, to quote the Marines, have been used in every clime and place. Rod (another 10x42 SE user, from Encinitas)

mpedris said:
Thanks for all the links and advice. I've already checked out BVD. Very good reviews.

I wonder if there is anybody here who has used the SE under humid conditions. Such a person would be the best source of information regarding this problem with weather.

From 2001-2003, I birded with my 8x32 SE in the yeasty environment of Eugene, Oregon. They never fogged up in Eugene or at any other location since I bought them in 1998, regardless of hours of birding in the rain and high humidity, no fungus problems either. For me the issue of waterproofing is less important than the image quality (top priority for me) and the handling (second priority for me). It's really a matter of philosophy, if you are buying binoculars as a tool through which you can connect with the world of birds, you cannot do better than the SE's. Provided of course, that the handling works for you. When I decided to add a 10 x 42 to my stable of optics tools, I again opted for the non-waterproof Nikon SE. Also, the scope I bird with is a non-waterproof Televue Pronto with non-waterproof Televue Radian eyepiece.

maitreya said:
From 2001-2003, I birded with my 8x32 SE in the yeasty environment of Eugene, Oregon. They never fogged up in Eugene or at any other location since I bought them in 1998, regardless of hours of birding in the rain and high humidity, no fungus problems either. For me the issue of waterproofing is less important than the image quality (top priority for me) and the handling (second priority for me). It's really a matter of philosophy, if you are buying binoculars as a tool through which you can connect with the world of birds, you cannot do better than the SE's. Provided of course, that the handling works for you. When I decided to add a 10 x 42 to my stable of optics tools, I again opted for the non-waterproof Nikon SE. Also, the scope I bird with is a non-waterproof Televue Pronto with non-waterproof Televue Radian eyepiece.

I am now not alone...I own Nikon 10x42 SE for few weeks now, I like it so much and I add a 8x32 SE which will arrive tomorrow. If the 8x32 SE is as good as the original 10x42 SE, then view thru 8x32 SE would be outstanding. The prism housing provides good & comfortable hand hold feeling for me.

I thought of buying roof bino for it small dimension and cute appeal, until I look thru Nikon SE porros.

dean tran said:
If the 8x32 SE is as good as the original 10x42 SE, then view thru 8x32 SE would be outstanding.
Once you receive your 8x32 SE, please tell us how you like them and how they compare, in your opinion, with the 10x42 SE.

Thanks.

Manendra,
I dont think a comparison is very meaningful in this instance.
I have looked extensively through both the 8x and 10x SE and they are both superb bins, at any price, in their respective magnification categories. I opted for the 8x because I prefer 8x in most situations. Perhaps I might one day buy the 10x, but thats because I may want an excellent 10x bin for a specific use. In fact, I was originally attracted to the SE range by chance when I looked through the 10x one day. I had never heard of them or read any reviews.
I think a person needs to decide on the magnification they prefer first, and then select the SE if they believe its the best option in that magnification. Maybe a comparison of 2 SE bins of different magnification would end up being more of a comparison of 8x vs 10x because they are both optically excellent, in my view.

mike60 said:
Manendra,
I dont think a comparison is very meaningful in this instance.
I have looked extensively through both the 8x and 10x SE and they are both superb bins, at any price, in their respective magnification categories. I opted for the 8x because I prefer 8x in most situations. Perhaps I might one day buy the 10x, but thats because I may want an excellent 10x bin for a specific use. In fact, I was originally attracted to the SE range by chance when I looked through the 10x one day. I had never heard of them or read any reviews.
I think a person needs to decide on the magnification they prefer first, and then select the SE if they believe its the best option in that magnification. Maybe a comparison of 2 SE bins of different magnification would end up being more of a comparison of 8x vs 10x because they are both optically excellent, in my view.

I would agree totally with Mike. I have both; they are both superb. Ultimately, it will come down to your personal preference with their relative strengths and limitations of 8x magnification over 10. At the moment, I am using my 10x all the time!

mpedris said:
Once you receive your 8x32 SE, please tell us how you like them and how they compare, in your opinion, with the 10x42 SE.

Thanks.

I now got the 8x32SE for few days in addition to my 10x42SE which I have for few weeks. Here is summary of comparison.

Optics: contrast, sharpness, brightness, clear and pleasing view--they are similar in this regard. 8x offers as much brightness as the bigger sister 2 hrs before sunset. I looked thru Swarovski 8.5x42 today, the 8x SE is at least as good or better. Some 8xSE owners mentioned the 10xSE is a bit sharper, but I can't really see the difference in day time.

Feel/Handhold: 10x is more pleasing to hold; 8x is lighter and has more solid feel, due to shorter barrel with denser optical elements spacing. Both has quality feel in the hand. 8x is smaller in size, it looks small, almost toy like size. 10x is small and light for same 10x bino.

Usefulness: 8x is a tad more useful, due to size, a bit less shaking, wider field, more depth of field and a tad less blackout. 10x advantage is pulling power. 8x object view is smaller, but I need to switch binos quickly to see the difference, it probably doesn't make a difference in most cases.

Recommendation: Positive YES for either of them. They are exellent binos and values with similar optical characteristics. Since they are very much the same bino, I probably keep only one and sell the other, which one to keep is a good question.

Today I compare the Venturer LX (roof) 10x42HG to the 8x32SE in a short time. The Venturer is a bit sharper and brighter in a very limited limited viewing comparision. I can't really compare the pleasing view and 3D effect of SE series binos to Venturer LX/HG series. Many SE owners beleive porros has more 3D effect due to parallax effect (interpupillary distance). Both have pleasing views.

Conclusion: SE series is one of the best with excellent value. The only downsize is "the best--zeiss, swarovski and leica" have better resale value and chic appeal. Compare the SE to Venturer and the other high ends and decide for yourself.

8x32 SE competition: You might want to look to buy Fujinon 8x or 10x porros bino, they look ugly but they are exellent binos, cost less and has similar optical performance. What they dont' have is brand name (Nikon, Leica, etc...) In short Porros binos provide best bang for the buck since they go out of style in favor of roof binos.

ebay.com (USA) advertises plenty used and exellent binos for less than half price of new ones.

dean tran said:
8x32 SE competition: You might want to look to buy Fujinon 8x or 10x porros bino, they look ugly but they are exellent binos, cost less and has similar optical performance. What they dont' have is brand name (Nikon, Leica, etc...)

What they also *don't have* is eg. central focusing (8x30) or compact size (10x70) making them IMHO better suited for uses like sailing or astronomy rather than birdwatching. But purely in optical performance Fujinons may well be as good as Nikon SEs.

I could throw in the good "old" Nikon 8x30EII, which is lighter, less expensive and has a significantly wider view than SE. If the FOV is important - like it is for many birders - EII could be a serious competitor. I have not compared the two Nikons side by side, but I would say the difference in resolution can not be very big. Any opinions?

Ilkka

dean tran said:
Conclusion: The only downsize is "the best--zeiss, swarovski and leica" have better resale value and chic appeal.
Hmmm... Of course, the chic appeal. Now why didn't I think of that? Looking at birds while attracting them! ;)

Thank you, and others, for great reviews.

Chromatic Aberration on SE?

Folks,

I finally got my 8x32SE pair about a week ago. While looking at a Munia on an electric wire (against a bright sky), I saw a slight yellow cast falling on the bird. I recognized it as Chromatic Aberration (CA) for I could make it out also on the edges of some trees in the distance against a white (cloudy) sky.

Do you see CA on the SE often?

Last edited:
mpedris said:
Folks,

I finally got my 8x32SE pair about a week ago. While looking at a Munia on an electric wire (against a bright sky), I saw a slight yellow cast falling on the bird. I recognized it as Chromatic Aberration (CA) for I could make it out also on the edges of some trees in the distance against a white (cloudy) sky.

I sometimes see a trace of green and yellow fringing through mine but it is minor. My Swaro 8.5x42 EL shows significantly more. No binocular I have tried is free from CA, though to my eyes the SE is the best in this respect. By all accounts the new Zeiss FL range is even better.

mpedris said:
Folks,

BTW If you think you see CA through the Nikon 8x32 SE, then you should try the Nikon 8x32 HG, or Leica 8x32 BN! I can't use either binocular as the CA is so bad. However, most people do not seem to notice its, and those two binoculars are extremely popular as evidenced by the comments on BF.

Leif said:
BTW If you think you see CA through the Nikon 8x32 SE, then you should try the Nikon 8x32 HG, or Leica 8x32 BN! I can't use either binocular as the CA is so bad. However, most people do not seem to notice its, and those two binoculars are extremely popular as evidenced by the comments on BF.
Thanks Leif & Steve for the responses.

The CA is very slight and does not bother me. I was just wondering what others thought of the CA in the SE because I saw it and I didn't recall anyone else specifically mentioning CA the way they did regarding the HGs.

I'm certainly VERY happy with this instrument and glad I got the SE as opposed to the HG, especially since you say the HGs suffer from a lot more CA. Any more CA than I am already seeing would definitely spoil the bird for me! The view through the SE is breathtaking!

I started this thread to find out the merits of these two bins and BF members have been extremely helpful in this regard. Leif, your reviews (along with BVD reviews) greatly influenced my decision, especially since I bought the glass sight unseen.

My next quest is a 10x and right now I'm leaning towards the 10x42SE...

Thanks folks.

Greetings!

mpedris said:
Hello all.

I'm very new to this field of binoculars as well as to birding. Therefore, I need all the help I can get in choosing a good pair of binocs.

First of all I must say that IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO TEST BEFORE BUYING because of where I live.

[deleted paragraphs]

So, we have limited our choice to the following:
1) Nikon Venturer LX 8x32 NOTE: NOT 8x42
2) Nikon Superior E 8x32

I'm copying a posting I made on another thread, regarding my personal quest for the best 8X32 binoculars:

When I set out to purchase a pair of 8X32 binoculars, I decided that I would accept nothing but the best that money could buy. I didn't care about the cost, I had the cash to buy anything up to $3,000 - I just wanted the absolute finest 8X32 optics available.

I spent well over a week, almost every day, for several hours a day, driving around from retailer to retailer looking through 8X32 binoculars. I would sometimes spend a half hour straight looking through a single pair of binoculars, thinking about EVERYTHING I was seeing, and taking detailed notes for later comparisons. I turned this into an obsessive, all consuming, serious part time job - I was NOT about to settle for anything but the finest I could obtain. I was interested in these factors (notice that Price is definitely NOT among them!):

Ruggedness/waterproofness (Very important to me, this ruled out the Nikon SE)
Overall image resolution and quality
Low light performance
Glare performance (looking at targets near the sun's position)
Color saturation and purity
Contrast, especially when looking at neutral scenes
Chromatic aberations (which REALLY bother me!)
Geometric aberations, especially at the edges
Edge effects, including focus and center-edge brightness differential
Ease of handling and quality of the focus control
Diopter adjustment position and locking arrangement
Weight (ranked low on my importance scale, but was still a factor)
Overall "brightness" of image
Aesthetic appeal (This was VERY low on my list, but was a consideration)

After this week of very detailed (and, I think, very OBJECTIVE) testing, I made my decision.

I chose the Nikon 8X32 HG (U.S. Name: Venturer LX 8X32) binoculars. I have not regretted my decision of 1 millisecond since then - these are simply the best 8X32 roof prism binoculars currently available, in my not-so-humble opinion. The Swarovski optics you refer to were VERY high on my list, but several factors - including overall image quality, ruggedness, and the SUPERB focus control of the Nikons won me over and made me pass the Swaro glass by. Again, cost had NOTHING to do with it - I really was interested in owning ONLY the best - and if the Swaro 8X32 binoculars were that, I would have a pair right now.

One other thing - in my opinion, whether the warranty is transferrable or not really isn't of importance, I plan on keeping these binoculars for life and passing them on to my children - hopefully FAR more than 25 years in the future :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Hope this helps with your decision!
Bawko

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back