• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wow those Nikon 8x32 SE's are Impressive! (1 Viewer)

Dennis is a very passionate guy,thats all...He could very well,(and Has in the past)rave about the virtues of roofs vs., porros ..he is now going through a phase(corrected)...And i understand,I just got a pair of the Nikon SE 8x32 myself...My two last pairs of binos have been the LXL 8x32 and the Pentax ED 8x32,both excellent binos.

The SE 8x32..?..
A year ago,after years of using exclusively the Swift 820#,I would have loved the Binoculars (i love them)without any consideration ..Today..I took them to the field,And ,Although the images through this binocular are beyond description ,The overall package,as a field instrument,didnt really get me too excited...Image wise is impressing,,..Sharp is an understatement ,really,all the way to the edge,..bright at dusk?..Amazing..
I like the feel of the focuser,can live with the rubber eye cups,and even think they are easy to hold(with their semi-open-bridge design)..BUT there is something about the whole package ,that is just not for me.I am looking for a one and only binocular,and the SE is definitely not going to be it,..I guess i just got used to the feel and view of roofs.The ruggedness and durability,and then the straight view..The 3-D effect is actually one of the most bothersome features that i noticed.It was mentioned in this thread,i think by henry link,That the eyes have to work harder to make the image merge with the objective set further apart,and i agree..i didnt like that feeling anymore,but i am sure i would be able to adjust to this,with some more time...

In any case ,a superb binocular,and i recommend it to any binocular fan,as the ultimate resolver

I can't believe that there could be too much sample variation in these quality binoculars but maybe there is.

Actually, there is, at least in my limited experience. I have owned 6 different Zeiss FL 7x42s and I can tell you that there was definitely sample variation among them.

I know that but it is not the size of the print but rather that the print is not as sharp which causes you not to be able to read it. The print should be big enough to read if it was sharp. My Nikon 8x32 LX L'sand my friends Zeiss 8x42 FL's are the same way and they are 8X. The three roofs just don't focus as sharp. There is a haze. Another thing is looking around the room at objects it is amazing how much more three dimensional and just" beautiful "objects like colored vases are with the Nikon SE 8x32. They are so much more enjoyable to look at and realistic in their appearance! My point is you can say roof's are the equal of porro's but to my EYES they are NOT! I love the VIEW through that Nikon 8x32 SE!
It is amazing that an 8x32 porro appears brighter than a 7x42 roof. The porro MUST be transmitting more light or making the objects you are looking brighter!

Dennis
The Nikon SE 8x32 binocular can be summed up quite easily,its a binocular ideally suited to the robin stroker brigade.
fiddler.

Because he has issues:-O
I have owned 6 different Zeiss FL 7x42s
What's sad is that if anyone else had said that, we probably wouldn't have believed them. But when we read it from Frank, we just think "it figures..." and move right along!

You people are going to force me to buy a pair of those SEs aren't you?

Ok Owen, just because I resemble those remarks doesn't mean......

So I have issues...so what...folks like my issues.

;)

To answer the question at hand....the first one I bought and loved the field of view. However, there was a diopter/focusing issue that I sent them in for to have repaired.

After receiving them back, in perfect condition, I sold them because I talked myself into believing that the astigmatism was detrimental to the overall viewing experience. The second pair I bought shortly afterwards and kept for about six months. I sold it because of financial concerns at the time. The third pair I bought and eventually sold to a friend because he fell in love with them. Ofcourse other bin possessions at the time made that parting reasonably easy.

The fourth pair I bought from Cameralandny and fell in love with all over again. They are my "cherry pair" and I do love them. Sadly though I recently came to the realization that I just cannot rationalize owning $1000+ binoculars at this time. They are up on Ebay as we speak.

The fifth pair I bought to use as a backup to the fourth pair but sold them for financial reasons.

The sixth pair went to Kevin P. a few weeks ago along with an 8x32 FL. Both were purchased at the local Cabelas Bargain Cave in perfect condition. There is still one sitting there but I am resisting the urge to go and buy it.

For now I am happy with my inexpensive porro selection.

;)

Folks - For what ever reason, some people prefer their steaks well done, done, medium, slightly rare, rare, or bloody rare. Taste and eyes are similar, i.e., depends on the individual. There are many nuances found in binoculars that can't be explained to the satisfaction of everyone. We just see differently, sense weight differently, sense ergonomics differently, etc. The Nikon SE binoculars just have that something extra to many of us. I don't care if the Nikon SE 8 x 32 is ever made water proof or has sliding eye cups. I really don't. I do know that other than coatings, good optics were made 50 years ago that compete quite well against all our super high end stuff today.

Considering that you probably lose money every time you sell off one of those FLs, you'd have been better off just keeping the first pair and using them.

Folks - For what ever reason, some people prefer their steaks well done, done, medium, slightly rare, rare, or bloody rare. Taste and eyes are similar, i.e., depends on the individual. There are many nuances found in binoculars that can't be explained to the satisfaction of everyone. We just see differently, sense weight differently, sense ergonomics differently, etc. The Nikon SE binoculars just have that something extra to many of us. I don't care if the Nikon SE 8 x 32 is ever made water proof or has sliding eye cups. I really don't. I do know that other than coatings, good optics were made 50 years ago that compete quite well against all our super high end stuff today.

I totally agree with you. The Nikon 8x32 SE do have some faults but I love the excellent optics and the low price.

Dennis

It took me a while to find this entertaining thread (even if I struggle a bit with expressions like "sweet reason" and "robin stroker"). Anyway, I am happy for Dennis that he is so satisfied with his Nikon SEs.

I just felt that I had to comment on this early post which left me with a feeling that reminding SE buyers from blackouts is somehow misleading or unnecessary.

I can't help but feel that this business of blackouts with the SE binoculars is just a bit overblown.

No, it is not. It is very real for those of us who are annoyed with it and it is completely reasonable to mention about this possibility.

Blackouts happen with any binocular if your eyes are not lined up and the IPD is not correct, and especially with bins that have eye relief adequate for eyeglass wearers. The SEs are hardly unique in that regard, and if you wear glasses this is a feature, not a problem.

The SEs have a couple of features that do make them unique in this regard: the eyecups are too floppy for some of those who do not need glasses and not properly adjustable for some of those who do. They may end up in a situation where they just can't avoid having too much ER. The complex SE eyepieces also tend to have something called "SAEP", which apparently means that the ER is not the same at the edges and in the center of the exit pupil - and this makes it less easy to determine the optimal ER distance, as well as creates that kidney bean shaped shadow. The SEs are also in my experience the least "friendly" binoculars for "looking around". They work well when I look straight ahead, but blackout immediately when I dare to move my eyeballs. For those who play by these rules naturally this is obviously not a problem at all, but for those whose eyes move a lot during viewing, this "unforgivingness" may be infuriating.

Yet for years now it seems as that whenever the SE is mentioned there are couple of members who feel they must chime in and tell us how user unfriendly they supposedly are. This probably puts a lot of people off from trying a superb binocular that might work beautifully for them. I've owned and used any number of highly-regarded bins that didn't work for me for one reason or another, yet I don't think I've made it my crusade to warn everyone off of those particular bins.

Am I one of those members? I think there are more than a couple of us and I really don't believe anyone who has mentioned the blackout-tendency have made it a crusade against these fine binoculars. In every thread I am aware of, it has become clear that this is a problem for a minority... but a real one for them, just like insufficient "past infinity focus range" in other binoculars would be for some myopics who prefer to view without glasses.

I have the 8x32SEs and I absolutely have no plans to get rid of them. In my use the adjustable eyecups (like in the LX/HG) would cure the main problem, but to get that "SE experience" I still would have to concentrate in avoiding any eye movement - which I can accept, but I don't like it.

All right, that's enough for this crusade. I hope no one was offended or put off from trying the Nikon SEs. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

Considering that you probably lose money every time you sell off one of those FLs, you'd have been better off just keeping the first pair and using them.

True possibly. However, I never paid full price for any of them...demos entirely...and sold them all for close to what I paid for them. I do not mean to offend anyone but paying full price for any bin these days, especially the $1000+ Alphas, is something I will not do.

It took me a while to find this entertaining thread (even if I struggle a bit with expressions like "sweet reason" and "robin stroker"). Anyway, I am happy for Dennis that he is so satisfied with his Nikon SEs.

I just felt that I had to comment on this early post which left me with a feeling that reminding SE buyers from blackouts is somehow misleading or unnecessary.

No, it is not. It is very real for those of us who are annoyed with it and it is completely reasonable to mention about this possibility.

The SEs have a couple of features that do make them unique in this regard: the eyecups are too floppy for some of those who do not need glasses and not properly adjustable for some of those who do. They may end up in a situation where they just can't avoid having too much ER. The complex SE eyepieces also tend to have something called "SAEP", which apparently means that the ER is not the same at the edges and in the center of the exit pupil - and this makes it less easy to determine the optimal ER distance, as well as creates that kidney bean shaped shadow. The SEs are also in my experience the least "friendly" binoculars for "looking around". They work well when I look straight ahead, but blackout immediately when I dare to move my eyeballs. For those who play by these rules naturally this is obviously not a problem at all, but for those whose eyes move a lot during viewing, this "unforgivingness" may be infuriating.

Am I one of those members? I think there are more than a couple of us and I really don't believe anyone who has mentioned the blackout-tendency have made it a crusade against these fine binoculars. In every thread I am aware of, it has become clear that this is a problem for a minority... but a real one for them, just like insufficient "past infinity focus range" in other binoculars would be for some myopics who prefer to view without glasses.

I have the 8x32SEs and I absolutely have no plans to get rid of them. In my use the adjustable eyecups (like in the LX/HG) would cure the main problem, but to get that "SE experience" I still would have to concentrate in avoiding any eye movement - which I can accept, but I don't like it.

All right, that's enough for this crusade. I hope no one was offended or put off from trying the Nikon SEs. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

I don't have any of those problems. I guess I just I got lucky that the SE's eye relief and ergonomics fit me perfectly. It is like they are custom made for me. I even like the rubber eyecups because I don't have to fold them out every time I take the binoculars out of the case. They feel pretty comfortable against my eye's also. I can't get over how sharp they are!

Dennis

Last edited:
True possibly. However, I never paid full price for any of them...demos entirely...and sold them all for close to what I paid for them. I do not mean to offend anyone but paying full price for any bin these days, especially the $1000+ Alphas, is something I will not do.

Here, here. Does anybody pay retail price anymore for binoculars? By buying demos you can always easily trade to something else if don't like them.

Dennis

I have to admit that Kevin's "Binocular bargain" thread has to be one of the greatest ideas since sliced bread. By his suggestion all one has to do is subscribe to it and every time someone posts you get a little email telling you what they posted. If you are looking for binocular bargains then it is a great resource.

Dennis - Sure, there are some people who pay retail prices for binoculars. What percentage? Can't even hazard a guess. For some very affluent purchasers, price isn't that big a deal. We all have had those "just got to have it, right now" spells. I suspect that the inexperienced buyer is more likely to pay retail. For optics "nuts" like us, no way. John

I think the binocuholics here have seen and bought enough bins to have the smarts to know about the availability of demos and also asking for a price below the MAP ... especially from places that have both a personal touch and want to shift product.

Hanging out on various forums (fora?) also helps.

Of course another possibility for the savvy marketer is to offer us "alpha bin geeks" discounts especially for new models. I think as time goes on you need a better and better model to replace something in the collection (or at least exceed other models you already have). I rather think that might happen with the Chinese EDs in the future (this year?) so they might have to work on other interesting features (smaller objective sizes, "odd" magnifications, stray light considerations, better warranty, lighter weight ... and so on).

Of course it all reminds me of an Opus cartoon I used to have stuck on the fridge .... "Buy more and save". What an odd concept!

Last edited:
Oh I readily admit to having paid full price for a few bins but not lately. The last one I remember buying and keeping was a Nikon Monarch 8x42.....a few years back.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back