• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon sporter ex 8x42 (1 Viewer)

zog

First things first . Hi to all :t:
Has anyone tried the nikon sporter ex 8x42 bins. I think across the pond they are called the trailblazer.Im not certain but they look identical. I like the look of these and the older model sporters (8x36) had good reviews. I can not find any user reviews/comments on this newer model.So anyone out there who owns/tried a pair . What are they like.

First things first . Hi to all :t:
Has anyone tried the nikon sporter ex 8x42 bins. I think across the pond they are called the trailblazer.Im not certain but they look identical. I like the look of these and the older model sporters (8x36) had good reviews. I can not find any user reviews/comments on this newer model.So anyone out there who owns/tried a pair . What are they like.

The Sporters did not have phase coatings. I found the images are a bit soft compared to p-coated roofs, though they are otherwise good quality.

If you are in the market for these, go with the original Sporter made in Japan. Better quality and lead glass optics. CameraLand had a refurb pair not long ago.

If you can afford to spend a bit more, look for a Japanese-made 8x42 Monarch. The p-coatings will give you sharper images than the Sporter.

The Sporters did not have phase coatings. I found the images are a bit soft compared to p-coated roofs, though they are otherwise good quality.

If you are in the market for these, go with the original Sporter made in Japan. Better quality and lead glass optics. CameraLand had a refurb pair not long ago.

If you can afford to spend a bit more, look for a Japanese-made 8x42 Monarch. The p-coatings will give you sharper images than the Sporter.

2nd that. The Sporter's are really soft at the edge. I sold mine quickly for that reason. Shoot for a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarch's. Check Amazon and Nikon has a $50.00 rebate right now till Oct.30,2010. I just bought a new pair of Nikon Monarch's 8x42 for $170.00 shipped with the rebate.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back