• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP Chiriqui Panama (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
pic 1 - any ideas on this distant bird of prey in the Chiriqui highlands, western Panama?

pics 2-5 is a second bird, same general location

Attachments

• _unknown bop_01.jpg
    _unknown bop_01.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 74
  • _01.jpg
    _01.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 62
  • _02.jpg
    _02.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • _03.jpg
    _03.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 54
  • _04.jpg
    _04.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Looks to be a Spizaetus Hawk-Eagle to me but not sure if Black or Ornate. Dark cap with paler looking cheeks may indicate Ornate but not sure of what I see there.

Edit: 4 new pics added! 2nd set of images def looks an Ornate Hawk-Eagle. Congrats!

Last edited:
If the choice is between those two then I would say the first one is definitely Ornate (new bird for me!), because the first thing I noticed on the photo before uploading was a reddish collar. It's also coarsely marked above - is this a feature?

I looked through Ridgely's BOP's looking for this reddish collar but somehow missed the Ornate as it is only half a pic - even though as far as I can see it is the only BOP with this feature.

As for the second bird (pics 2-5) - really not sure as it's from below. It seems to have a prominent white patch between throat and chest.

Last edited:
The first image definite hawk eagle, notice how the wings narrow right where they meet the body. The second one I think would be one as well but less certain.

Niels

All images look like an adult Ornate Hawk Eagle to me. The white throat is often visible on this species. Great bird! Way to get pictures of it in flight!

That guy's photos are remarkably crisp - I've just had a peek at his site. Thanks everyone for the confirms, I think consensus looks like Ornate, probably same bird in both :) This was one of the few that I saw but the guide missed (twice), I tried to get him to look but he was busy with another closer bird. Shame, he was an excellent whistler and might have been able to call him closer… Still very pleased to have seen it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back