• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE Update (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
This is just a heads up for all of those who enjoy the Nikon Superior E.
I was just doing some surfing, and it seems the SE is available in all sizes
at Optics Planet, the large NY retailer. I have no connection, but wanted to
point out my findings.

I have owned all of the Nikon SE's, find them great ;), and I do want to let those here know that it seems Nikon has been able to supply them, in the US
to those retailers that want to sell them.

It seems there are some binocular users, that find a fine porro will offer a
view that is unsurpassed by anything else available, at "any" price.

Great news in my opinion.

Jerry

This is just a heads up for all of those who enjoy the Nikon Superior E.
I was just doing some surfing, and it seems the SE is available in all sizes
at Optics Planet, the large NY retailer. I have no connection, but wanted to
point out my findings.

I have owned all of the Nikon SE's, find them great ;), and I do want to let those here know that it seems Nikon has been able to supply them, in the US
to those retailers that want to sell them.

It seems there are some binocular users, that find a fine porro will offer a
view that is unsurpassed by anything else available, at "any" price.

Great news in my opinion.

Jerry

Yes. A Nikon EII. I sold my SE's after seeing the EII's. Never thought I would either. I thought the SE's were the tops. Live and learn I guess.

Nikon 8x32 SE & 10x42 SE - Cheaper

I was speaking to Frank at New York Camera & Video today and they are having a sale on Nikon SE's, however, you will have to call in order to get these prices ( 215-357-6222 )

6 pr of 8x32 SE's @ $539 ea
3 pr of 10x42 SE's @ $669 ea

http://www.nycv.com/

tom

I was speaking to Frank at New York Camera & Video today and they are having a sale on Nikon SE's, however, you will have to call in order to get these prices ( 215-357-6222 )

6 pr of 8x32 SE's @ $539 ea
3 pr of 10x42 SE's @ $669 ea

http://www.nycv.com/

tom

Tom:

Good find, in the past year or so, many thought the Nikon SE would not
be available in the US. So, that means some of the NYC stores can source
them, or if you can find NOS.

The EII, seems to be harder to find, I have not found any of these same stores
carry those.

Dennis, I suppose that means the Superior E's, are better as some have found. ;)

Jerry

Tom:

carry those.

Dennis, I suppose that means the Superior E's, are better as some have found. ;)

Jerry

Then I guess Nikon goofed in calling them the "Superior E".

What would be cool is if Nikon had a contest to name the next gen of SE (as if...). The winner would win a free "whatever-it's-called" bin.

So let's think up names for the next gen SE. How about the "Ultimate E"?

One rule: No using names of bins currently in production. However, borrowing a name from the past might be a blast. Especially if they are trying to win over boomers, who are probably their target demographic for this bin.

The New Kids on the Block want roofs.

Btw, if anyone buys a "new" 8x32 SE, please post the first three digits of the serial #. I'm curious to see if they are still unloading the 550s or if they had another production run. Or, if perhaps, these are older SEs that were sitting in a warehouse in Japan.

Thanks.

Brock

Last edited:
Then I guess Nikon goofed in calling them the "Superior E".

What would be cool is if Nikon had a contest to name the next gen of SE (as if...). The winner would win a free "whatever-it's-called" bin.

So let's think up names for the next gen SE. How about the "Ultimate E"?

One rule: No using names of bins currently in production. However, borrowing a name from the past might be a blast. Especially if they are trying to win over boomers, who are probably their target demographic for this bin.

The New Kids on the Block want roofs.

Btw, if anyone buys a "new" 8x32 SE, please post the first three digits of the serial #. I'm curious to see if they are still unloading the 550s or if they had another production run. Or, if perhaps, these are older SEs that were sitting in a warehouse in Japan.

Thanks.

Brock

The "SUPER DOOPER E":t:

Given the lust it would inspire the next generation SE would clearly have to be the SEX.

And we all know that marketers like EDGy letters like the X to attract the "yoof" to their products. To the MAX :)

NYCV is a store in the Northeast suburbs of Philadelphia - (guess they figured if you missed the turn off of I-95 you'd wind up in NY).They just sold 7 pairs of EII's after I posted them on this forum - they had been sitting on the shelf for near 5 years, and the 8x30 EII's were $270. They have no clue where to get anymore EII's. Looks like they are now trying to unload all their SE's.

Kevin - you definitely have the winning entry with the SE-X, or they might come out with an EIEI-O

My 10X35 EII's sit in my closet because i'm just to scared to expose them to the elements, they just sit and sit..............
I love the view I get from them, but I would trade them in a heartbeat (for a pair of SE's) :smoke:

Thanks.

Brock

Mine given in May still the same from 550 brock :king:

Mine given in May still the same from 550 brock :king:

Thanks, horukuru. It looks like Nikon is rationing the 550s and releasing them a little a time. Could be Nikon's strategy for driving up sales.

Hold back supplies, and only sell to selected dealers, and then those dealers are guaranteed sales.

Or, as on BF member suggested who talked to a number of dealers, there isn't a high demand for SEs, so they are releasing them in small batches so dealers don't have to unsold inventory sitting in the warehouses (not that Amazon has warehouses, which is one reason why its prices are usually low).

Optically, the SE is every bit as good as (if not better) than $800 roof competitors such as the Meopta 8x32 roof, but the roof has twist-up eyecups, internal focus, WP/FP, and you can play submarine with it in your bathtub.

According to Tokyo Rick, Nikon is still making both the EII and SE, and they are readily available in Japan.

I have my doubts about Nikon making more SEs, which is why I asked about the serial #.

The 505s were made in 2007 or 2008 (or from 2007 to 2008). Whether or not the 505s are the last production run, Nikon isn't saying, but apparently they still have 550s leftover but are sitting on their supplies.

Since Nikon stopped making the SE for about 5 years, it's possible that we won't see another production run for another 5 years, if we see another one at all.

It will likely depend on whether or not Nikon thinks it's profitable enough to produce a limited run of binoculars that have a relatively modest price point and if there is enough demand for them.

According to a BF member who spoke with a number of dealers, there isn't a high demand for SEs nationwide, which is why they stopped producing them. You wouldn't think that would be the case from reading the excitement on BF over each announcement about a new batch being released at this or that store, but apparently, we are in the minority.

So when the census comes around again and the form asks if you are a member of a minority, check "OTHER" and write in: Nikon Superior E owner. :)

Brock

Last edited:
My 10X35 EII's sit in my closet because i'm just to scared to expose them to the elements, they just sit and sit..............
I love the view I get from them, but I would trade them in a heartbeat (for a pair of SE's) :smoke:

Alot of people have used EII's for years in the elements without any problems. I don't think the SE's offer that much more weather resistance then the EII's. You have to just be a little more careful with them than your roofs.

Tom:

carry those.

Jerry

That's definitely a matter of what type of view you like. Me I like the WIDE fov and easy picture screen view of the EII's. I sold my SE's two days latter after getting the EII's. No comparison IMO!

Hi Brock

According to Tokyo Rick, Nikon is still making both the EII and SE, and they are readily available in Japan.

I have my doubts about Nikon making more SEs, which is why I asked about the serial #.

May be this is too simple reasoning, but: if you go to www.nikon.com (more specific: http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/nature/index.htm), they still have the EII's and the SE's in their current product series. Wouldn't it be more logical to remove them there, if they were not produce them any longer?

Ciao!

Last edited:
Contrary to BF mythology, the SE 8X32 is not waterproof or fogproof. You cannot use it in serious rain and the slightest intrusion of salt water will destroy the prisms. The focus is stiff in cold weather and the rubber eyecups, if needed, are all but universally hated. Eye position is critical and blackouts plague most people who venture too close to the eyepiece. In short, it's not an attractive all-weather birding binocular, especially considering the multitude of alternatives.

Pileatus - Of course the SE 8x32 is not waterproof. Am curious, do you bird "in serious rain?" If you do what is it like with water smeared lens? Most birders I know don't bird in the rain, much less serious rain. I just returned from Yellowstone Lake in Wyoming where there was serious precipitation taking place. Even with my Zeiss FLs, there was nothing to see out there in the rain. I guess I'm a fair weather birder. John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back